IP address giving wrong location

So I just booted gw2 up after about 2 years or so of inactivity and logged in with 2-step authentication and it keeps telling me that my IP address is in Ottawa, Canada I live in the southern US so this comes across as alarming is there any way to fix this or is it a bug? I have changed my password but every time I login with 2-step it always gives me that IP address as being in Canada despite the fact that I have traced it back to my location.

It's possible your ISP bought those IPs from an Canadian ISP in Ottawa and it hasn't changed over yet.And before people say anything, yes, that actually does happen. If an ISP closes, or merges into a bigger one (we have a lot of little companies that rent Bell's line, so it's a variety of DSL ISPs available). Some of them don't always last, or they don't need ones anyone.Did you try contacting your ISP and letting them know they have IPs not assoicated with your area that they are giving out.

• 4 months later...

Have you traced your route to the GW2 servers (and/or to e.g. Yahoo) to confirm whether that IP address is actually associated with your account? If it shows up in the trace, then that's a question to raise with your ISP; ANet has no control over it. If it's not showing up, then something odd is going on and that would be worth a support ticket (to which you would later add screenshots or text-dumps of the trace).

Archived