Scourge vs Renegade?

LucianDK.8615

@"LucianDK.8615" said:I am eyeballing Scourge for being what Renegade shouldve been. Unkillable 'spirits' with stronger effects, plus the barrier mechanic.Would you folks say its a superior espec?

My personal feeling is that the idea for Revenant was great, but the implementation turned out to suck, so ... as a rule of thumb, yeah, I'm going to vote for you trying Scourge and seeing if you like it.

That said, this is the forum most likely to say "yes, necro >>> revenant", y'know?

Yeah, I ended taking the plunge and working on stuff for a scourge. Had a lot of it already, but i needed to cook up a full cloth ascended set and a scepter and torch.Just have to get some more fractal relics to be able to buy the globs and vials i still need to add the last set of infusion slots in the rings. As well 300ish winterberriers more for a viper cloth waterbreather.

Ritualist was one of my fave classes in Gw1, I had hoped Renegade could scratch that urge. Bad spirit design, as well hamstrung by the awful energy system.

I loved the Ritualist in GW1 and have both a Rev and a Necro Scourge. I have waaaay more fund melting trash mobs with Scourge condi skills than switching ancestors and duking it out on a Rev. I think you'll enjoy Scourge and definitely encourage making one but sadly there is no replacement for the Ritualist in GW2. :(

I think renegade's spirit should have had a break bar in stead of their health bar. At the same time I think scourge's mechanism is the least balanced mechanism they managed to come up with.

So yeah, scourge in it's unbalanced design is indeed superior to renegade and it's lackluster's "spirits".

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I think renegade's spirit should have had a break bar in stead of their health bar. At the same time I think scourge's mechanism is the least balanced mechanism they managed to come up with.

So yeah, scourge in it's unbalanced design is indeed superior to renegade and it's lackluster's "spirits".

Why saying unbalanced?

I like Renegades traits more than scourge's traits.The short bow has 3 ok skills and 2 very bad skillsRenegade utility is trash outside of the heal (which cuts condi damage in half )The spirits are too weak too immobile and simply dont provide enough fear when used to be used as proper zone control on the battle field. More importantly Kalla was about tactical ambush and the spirits dont convey that in anyway.

Scourge traits are far too focused on the shades and i dislike them. I like the one trait Feed from corruption which i feel like would work better in the core kit rather than scourge's kit.Scourges weapon the torch is "Meh" at bestScourge utility is alright i guess a bit too focused on corruptions maybe but they are alrightScourge profession mechanic is overwhelming and imbalanced no one is happy fighting against it although its countered by ranged ideally it needs to be reworked.

Long story short both professions and these e specs its in needed of a rework more than deadeye did.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I think renegade's spirit should have had a break bar in stead of their health bar. At the same time I think scourge's mechanism is the least balanced mechanism they managed to come up with.

Why saying unbalanced?

To put it simply, the main offender to a balanced state is the fact that each and every shade skill proc manifest sand shade . This give us skills that have the mild effect listed when you look at the skill with on top of that damages (power and condition) and control. If you happen to trait these skills you quickly end up with what we can call a "condi bomb" applying burn, vulnerability, torment, cripple on top of effects like fear, barrier, condi convertion which can be further enhance by some effects like boon corruption. If you add the ability to bleed on crit or drain life on hit, each skill already end up with way to many effects at the same time. This is why it is imbalanced.

On the other hand the renegade's spirit have very simple and straigthforward effects that are not overly packed with many traits effects. The scourge shade mechanism do everything at the same time offense, defense and support and traited it's totally imbalanced. PvP players often point out the shade area of effect but in reality, shade skills would be balanced with their coverage if they weren't proc'ing so many effects due to manifest sand shade .

@LucianDK.8615 said:I am eyeballing Scourge for being what Renegade shouldve been. Unkillable 'spirits' with stronger effects, plus the barrier mechanic.

Would you folks say its a superior espec?

Scourge is actually the closest thing to GW1 necromancer GW2 has ever created. Core necromancer and reaper are so different from GW1 necromancer they shouldn't have called it necromancer. It also has some ritualist identity thrown in the mix with the shades and area denial. The barrier has some design philosophy with protective spirits in GW1 but it's not a 1 for 1. Renegade mechanically feels more like the previous version of Mesmer phantasms than spirits. And I honestly doubt revenant will get anything remotely mechanically similar to rituist. But that's not a bad thing. Mechanically and game play wise they have a lot in common with dervish. Replacing legends with gods could have been an excellent alternative. And the boss at the end of the newest fractal who is a dervish changes her entire skill set just like a revenant only it's god focused and not legend focused.

Either way. Scourge is a lot of fun. But you'll only be doing damage. If you want I can walk you through a renegade build I've been using that is quite rewarding and fun to use. I'd say Scourge is better and more fun. But I'm very bias in favor of classic necromancer play style.

Archived