Crashing a lot

Hi

Last year I came back to the game and I've been experiencing constant crashes

I quit the game back in 2015 and by then I use to run the game smoothly, having some crashes here and there, but nothing too annoying.

My autodetect graphs put me almost on full ultra graphs.

Now it's impossible to walk in LA with this graph set, even in low graphs game crashes constantly.

The issue happens in all high populated maps. LA, DR and PoF maps.

What is causing this?

Is it an installation bug or game became havier and my system is now outdated to run with smooth?

PC spec:

AMD 8320 octacore8GB RAMgeforce 650 TI 2GBwindows 7

@Khalisto.5780 said:OOM: Heap, bytes=1229516,

What @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said is accurate. Despite having more physical memory, the 32-bit client can't use all of it, which causes this limit to be hit.

In that specific line of the crash, the OOM stands for Out Of Memory, which is how we know with certainty that this was the root cause. (It's programmer jargon, basically.)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

What @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said is accurate. Despite having more physical memory, the 32-bit client can't use all of it, which causes this limit to be hit.

In that specific line of the crash, the
OOM
stands for
Out Of Memory
, which is how we know with certainty that this was the root cause. (It's programmer jargon, basically.)

Makes sense, since I experience the crashes on high populated maps because they draw memory faster

@Khalisto.5780 said:

What @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said is accurate. Despite having more physical memory, the 32-bit client can't use all of it, which causes this limit to be hit.

In that specific line of the crash, the
OOM
stands for
Out Of Memory
, which is how we know with certainty that this was the root cause. (It's programmer jargon, basically.)

Makes sense, since I experience the crashes on high populated maps because they draw memory faster

You are also more likely to experience them after high population maps, and after a longer time playing, because the limited memory "space" that the game can access - 2GB - gets fragmented, and unfortunately, doesn't unfragment. So that means that available space for big chunks of stuff gradually gets smaller and smaller.

The 64-bit client is the solution here. Performance should be comparable, good luck. :)

You can reduce the odds of crashing by reducing character model count, and by exiting every few hours just to "defragment" the memory space the hard way. Takes me back to when I was playing on macOS, with the old client, which was the 32-bit client and had these same exact issues.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:You are also more likely to experience them after high population maps, and after a longer time playing, because the limited memory "space" that the game can access - 2GB - gets fragmented, and unfortunately, doesn't unfragment. So that means that available space for big chunks of stuff gradually gets smaller and smaller.

On 64-bit Windows, 32-bit programs can access up to almost 4GB or virtual address space because the 32-on-64 subsystem does the necessary handwaving to make it work.

Here is one of the Minimum System Requirements:

Windows® 7 or better (64 bit only)

(Specifically to avoid OOM crashes.) I preferred the 32-bit client (even though I have a 64-bit OS, but as soon as they started releasing the newer maps, my client would crash).

https://buy.guildwars2.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=gw2&pbPage=pathoffire&themeID=4785548100

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:You are also more likely to experience them
after
high population maps, and after a longer time playing, because the limited memory "space" that the game can access -
2GB
- gets fragmented, and unfortunately, doesn't unfragment. So that means that available space for big chunks of stuff gradually gets smaller and smaller.

On 64-bit Windows, 32-bit programs can access up to almost 4GB or virtual address space because the 32-on-64 subsystem does the necessary handwaving to make it work.

This is true only if the application was built with "large address aware" enabled, which wasn't true last time I checked on the GW2 32-bit client. (That also gives 3GB rather than 2GB on 32-bit Windows.) So, you are correct that I was omitting details of where that limit applies, but I don't believe that you are correct in the case of the GW2 client.

...and after the passage of an annoying amount of time with the awesomely unhelpful VC installer, I can confirm: that flag is not present on the x86 / 32-bit GW2 client, so you will not be able to access more than 2GB in that process.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:You are also more likely to experience them
after
high population maps, and after a longer time playing, because the limited memory "space" that the game can access -
2GB
- gets fragmented, and unfortunately, doesn't unfragment. So that means that available space for big chunks of stuff gradually gets smaller and smaller.

This is true only if the application was built with "large address aware" enabled, which wasn't true last time I checked on the GW2 32-bit client. (That also gives 3GB rather than 2GB on 32-bit Windows.) So, you are correct that I was omitting details of where that limit applies, but I don't believe that you are correct in the case of the GW2 client.

...and after the passage of an annoying amount of time with the awesomely unhelpful VC installer, I can confirm: that flag is not present on the x86 / 32-bit GW2 client, so you will not be able to access more than 2GB in that process.

OK, my bad. Pity.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

after
2GB

OK, my bad. Pity.

Yeah, unfortunately it requires that everything support it, some libraries don't, it has wierd edge cases, and is generally a pain in the neck. Basically nobody bothers because now 64-bit is everywhere, so why go through all that amount of pain and suffering if you don't have it.

It would potentially help keep the 32-bit client limping along a bit longer, though, but ... these days, most people can just upgrade and elimate the problem forever.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

after
2GB

OK, my bad. Pity.

Yeah, unfortunately it requires that everything support it, some libraries don't, it has wierd edge cases, and is generally a pain in the neck. Basically nobody bothers because now 64-bit is everywhere, so why go through all that amount of pain and suffering if you don't have it.

It would potentially help keep the 32-bit client limping along a bit longer, though, but ... these days, most people can just upgrade and elimate the problem forever.

Almost all of the weird edge cases that I've seen described are caused by programmers deliberately invoking undefined behaviour (although they might not realise that it is undefined), but unfortunately Windows itself has to cope with it without breaking anything, even if the software is totally broken anyway. (If you invoke undefined behaviour, your program is totally broken, without a single doubt. It's just sad that most of the time something more or less sensible happens.)

Bah. I just got the 1803 April update to Windows 10, and I need to find a way to put a stake in the heart of its spelling checker.

EDIT: Re: the spelling checker. If you have a non-English language pack installed (e.g. you started with a non-English build of Windows, but also if you added a language pack to a US-English build after installing Windows), then you'll find events in the "Application" event viewer logs, error code 33 issued by "SpellingChecker", that basically say "I had an error so I'll turn on the spelling checker". So the recommended fix so far? Remove all language packs that aren't US English.

Spectacularly stupid.

• 10 months later...

plz help me i can't enter in my pg

Assertion: m_readOffset + m_readLength <= m_totalBytesFile: ......\Services\File3\FileArchive.cpp(1046)App: Gw2-64.exePid: 5496BaseAddr: 00007FF68EE50000ProgramId: 101Build: 96209When: 2019-04-14T09:21:14Z 2019-04-14T11:21:14+02:00Uptime: 0 days 0:02:45Flags: 0

@Zenotype.4930 said:plz help me i can't enter in my pg

Assertion: m_readOffset + m_readLength <= m_totalBytesFile: ......\Services\File3\FileArchive.cpp(1046)App: Gw2-64.exePid: 5496BaseAddr: 00007FF68EE50000ProgramId: 101Build: 96209When: 2019-04-14T09:21:14Z 2019-04-14T11:21:14+02:00Uptime: 0 days 0:02:45Flags: 0

You probably should have posted in your own post, but however, you should try run the -repair command on the launcher, and see if that helps your issues.

Archived