Potential account breach

Hello, i usually am not concerned with my account security because I use a strong password with two factor authentication.

but just recently I noticed under security that I have an unusual IP address logged that came from a different state than the one I am living in. For your information I live in germany Hessen but this IP came from much further away in Schleswig-Holstein which is way up north from Hessen.

So I am a bit suspicious because most IP addresses that are logged in my account are local areas within the state I live in. Is my account compromised? Is there anyway that someone might have bypassed my two factor authentication and logged into my account in game? I cannot log into the game and check it myself either because my pc broke about an year ago. I can only check my forum account for any out of the ordinary activity which I haven't noticed thus far. However I cannot check ingame and this worry me a bit because I have been hacked in the past due to being inactive in the game and in my experience inactive game accounts are more susceptible to getting hacked(guildwars 1). But that time I only had a password and no other security. Thanks

-Ancient_Ys

@"Healix.5819" said:IP locations are only an estimation. Lookup the IP to see who owns it.

Is it possible to be compromised with 2FA? Yes.

Thankyou, i would look up the IP address but I already removed it.. So it won't be able to log that IP again. (essentially that specific IP will be blocked) but if I do happen to have a suspicious IP logged again I will check it with that tool.

Also thus far there are only locations that are IP logged that are in the vicinity of my location(approximately in a radius of 5-15 km about half an hour or so driving distance) so when I saw this IP that was suspicious then I realized that that location was so much further away from where I lived and quite a remote location like 400 km or something away from me.

So that has me worried a bit.. Could it be possible that someone that far away could potentially have accessed my account ingame?

The location of an ip is a very rough estimate. I work in IT for a global company. Most employees around the world seem to have an IP at our headquarters. Also if you use our guest WiFi anywhere In the world.You removed this location, thats not blocking it. You do need to use third party authentication again when you login from that location.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:The location of an ip is a very rough estimate. I work in IT for a global company. Most employees around the world seem to have an IP at our headquarters. Also if you use our guess WiFi anywhere In the world.You removed this location, thats not blocking it. You do need to use third party authentication again when you login from that location.

Alright I understand now, thankyou much! I'll put my suspicions aside for now and rest easy.

@AncientYs.8613 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:The location of an ip is a very rough estimate. I work in IT for a global company. Most employees around the world seem to have an IP at our headquarters. Also if you use our guess WiFi anywhere In the world.You removed this location, thats not blocking it. You do need to use third party authentication again when you login from that location.

Alright I understand now, thankyou much! I'll put my suspicions aside for now and rest easy.

Yes and no, it is a good to be suspicious. But also to understand how things come to be. The location is an indication and removing it gives little effect, but the need for third party authentication again. When you see a strange IP try to see if you can explain it. Using an isp with the headquarter In that state might explain it, but a lot more. When in doubt, remove it.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

Yes and no, it is a good to be suspicious. But also to understand how things come to be. The location is an indication and removing it gives little effect, but the need for third party authentication again. When you see a strange IP try to see if you can explain it. Using an isp with the headquarter In that state might explain it, but a lot more. When in doubt, remove it.

I see. I do honestly think that my isp has an hq in that state where the strange IP appeared. I will try to dig a bit more and see exactly the identity of this IP. Thank you for your time and continued support.

Archived