Vanilla and HoT open world build

Leiloni.7951

I had an 80 Mesmer that I never played and only actually leveled about halfway through so I deleted it and recently remade a new one. I'm up to level 45 or so and am currently playing with Scepter/Torch mostly and GS. I know GS is good but it feels boring sometimes (although fun enough, despite lacking defensive options), and Staff felt slow and ineffective for AoE so I had to stop using it entirely. I have at times had Scepter/Focus as well. I tried Sword/Pistol on my first Mesmer and I know that Sword MH in general is also good but I love ranged dps. I have HoT but not PoF so I can eventually spec into Chrono and Shield if I want.

So here's my question - I get the impression that Scepter is in general bad because it's not on any of the Metabattle builds but it's one I find the most fun and it's skills feel the most Mesmer-y. Why is it so bad? I feel like if I stack enough Condi damage it should do decently well damage wise, and the block and invisibility on Scepter/Torch are a lot of fun. What am I missing? I'm also using Mantra of Pain, Blink, and Signet of Inspiration thus far as my Utility (but there's still some Utility I haven't learned yet), along with Time Warp. I'll only be doing open world content so none of this really matters I know, but I'd like to get more information anyway.

Scepter is clunky. AA is so bad (both damage and reliability) and clone generation is meh at best. Block is kinda good but Sword has Distortion on 2. Scepter 3 has good damage but interruptable, inflicts confusion (which is bad in pvp mostly). While Sword 3 offers clone generation + immob + mobility.

I recommend using GS + Sword/Torch or GS + Sword/Pistol. With Dueling - Illusions - Elite. I think it is the most efficient build for open world at the moment. For core, use Dueling - Illusions - Domination.

@Leiloni.7951 said:So here's my question - I get the impression that Scepter is in general bad because it's not on any of the Metabattle builds but it's one I find the most fun and it's skills feel the most Mesmer-y. Why is it so bad? I feel like if I stack enough Condi damage it should do decently well damage wise, and the block and invisibility on Scepter/Torch are a lot of fun. What am I missing? I'm also using Mantra of Pain, Blink, and Signet of Inspiration thus far as my Utility (but there's still some Utility I haven't learned yet), along with Time Warp. I'll only be doing open world content so none of this really matters I know, but I'd like to get more information anyway.

What @Imperadordf.2687 said, basically. It isn't liked much, because people feel the other options are superior to it. Kind of like the necromancer axe was for a long time: it isn't exactly terrible, it just ... isn't the best at anything.

That said, it really isn't going to be that much of a problem to just play as you like; if that is what works for you then, dang, play it! I'll bet that you can do vastly more than most people would credit using it. :)

I would definitely also recommend GS + Sword/Other combo. Dual swords are pretty good, I ran with that a lot before going Chrono and taking a shield.

In terms of specs, definitely duelling and domination for GS and Swords. Illusions is a good pick too if you're not going with the elite specs.

If you do want to go with an elite spec, then GS & Sword/Shield is damn fine to play with. Duelling/Dom/Chrono.

Archived