[Suggestion] Change Log In Reward

@"Frostfang.5109" said:Luck and tomes of knowledge could be swapped for other things.

Luck I definitely agree with as it is acquired so easily via salvaging any blue rarity or better item (which can be acquired easily anywhere in the game and at will and in bulk via the trading post). However, though Tomes of Knowledge could, indeed, be swapped for other things (anything could be swapped for other things), login rewards are my primary (and only) source for acquisition of them as I do not PvP (which I hear provides a massive amount of them despite their being useless in that mode due to level not mattering). Due to this, I do not feel Tomes of Knowledge should be replaced with something else.

As for why I voted "No" despite that I would be happy to see Luck replaced with something less-readily available, I voted based on the wording of the proposition in the OP; "Would you like to see the log in reward change monthly to new and exciting things?"

Would I like to see changes to how it is?

• Other than seeing Luck changed to something else due to it being so readily available everywhere in the game and it being able to be acquired at will and in bulk via the trading post (buy > salvage), no, I would not.

Would I like to see changes to it monthly?

• No, this is not something I foresee I would like. I like the reliability of acquiring specific items that are not acquired easily (or at all) via my preferred gameplay style (e.g. ToK).

I voted no for 2 reasons:

1) I'm happy with the current rewards. I don't think login reward should ever be that amazing since the effort to get them is so minimal and I think the current selection does a good job of hitting that balance of being things which are nice to have (even if they're not all useful to everyone) without being so great/useful that you're being better rewarded for just logging in than for playing.

2) I can't log in every day (or even every week) and I'd hate to miss rewards because I'm away. At the moment if I miss a day, or a week or a month it doesn't matter too much because I'll still get all the same stuff as everyone else, just at a slower rate (and since I'm playing less I use it at a slower rate too, so that's ok). If they changed every month then I'd end up missing a lot of things. If it was like the current system where none of the 'special' rewards are exclusive to login rewards then that wouldn't be a problem but there also wouldn't be any benefit to changing it. If there were exclusive items then I'd miss at least some of them and end up feeling like I was being penalised for having a life outside the game, which is not a nice feeling. Enough things like that can put people off playing the game at all.

I'm already having this problem with Pokemon Go - it's gone from something I can do on my way home from work to having daily rewards and one-day events and events at set times and places and then rewards unlocked by doing enough of those that you get told when and where to go for another event...it's starting to feel a bit like they only want players who can schedule the rest of their life around the game. It makes me wonder if I should bother to keep playing since the message I'm getting is this game is not for me and I'm not welcome if I can't/won't put in the time they expect from their players.

And now my other MMO is introducing this type of login rewards - with a new set introduced each month. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never get the 'final' reward from a month because I just can't be online every day. At the moment they haven't said what the rewards actually are, but if it turns out there's lots of things I need or would like to have and can't get because I'm not at home every day....I may come to the same conclusion - that this game is not intended for me and I'm not welcome and should stop playing.

I'd really like Guild Wars 2 - which I always felt was designed for more casual MMO players and designed so you don't have to play it every day - to be the one game that doesn't start pressuring me like that. (It felt a bit like that during Season 1, when I had to make sure I'd have time to complete all the bits of a release I wanted before it was removed - and it was a huge relief for me when they switched to permanent content.)

@Danikat.8537 said:I voted no for 2 reasons:

1) I'm happy with the current rewards. I don't think login reward should ever be that amazing since the effort to get them is so minimal and I think the current selection does a good job of hitting that balance of being things which are nice to have (even if they're not all useful to everyone) without being so great/useful that you're being better rewarded for just logging in than for playing.

2) I can't log in every day (or even every week) and I'd hate to miss rewards because I'm away. At the moment if I miss a day, or a week or a month it doesn't matter too much because I'll still get all the same stuff as everyone else, just at a slower rate (and since I'm playing less I use it at a slower rate too, so that's ok). If they changed every month then I'd end up missing a lot of things. If it was like the current system where none of the 'special' rewards are exclusive to login rewards then that wouldn't be a problem but there also wouldn't be any benefit to changing it. If there were exclusive items then I'd miss at least some of them and end up feeling like I was being penalised for having a life outside the game, which is not a nice feeling. Enough things like that can put people off playing the game at all.

I'm already having this problem with Pokemon Go - it's gone from something I can do on my way home from work to having daily rewards and one-day events and events at set times and places and then rewards unlocked by doing enough of those that you get told when and where to go for another event...it's starting to feel a bit like they only want players who can schedule the rest of their life around the game. It makes me wonder if I should bother to keep playing since the message I'm getting is this game is not for me and I'm not welcome if I can't/won't put in the time they expect from their players.

And now my other MMO is introducing this type of login rewards - with a new set introduced each month. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never get the 'final' reward from a month because I just can't be online every day. At the moment they haven't said what the rewards actually are, but if it turns out there's lots of things I need or would like to have and can't get because I'm not at home every day....I may come to the same conclusion - that this game is not intended for me and I'm not welcome and should stop playing.

I'd really like Guild Wars 2 - which I always felt was designed for more casual MMO players and designed so you don't have to play it every day - to be the one game that doesn't start pressuring me like that. (It felt a bit like that during Season 1, when I had to make sure I'd have time to complete all the bits of a release I wanted before it was removed - and it was a huge relief for me when they switched to permanent content.)

I do agree with a lot of what you said, and in the spirit of not penalizing players for not logging in on a particular day maybe they can implement a casual friendly system that is just.. less boring? I'd like one of the luck days to be changed to a black lion key, for example.

I like the way your rewards don't skip days for not logging in, it is just that many of the rewards themselves are so lackluster imo.

EDIT: Maybe a selectable monthly track that is identical to the current one and another that offers new variety to players who have zero interest in luck or tomes of knowledge. They could mix up what's available to give people options.

I didnt vote because I dont feel that either answer truly covers my opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing minor tweaks to login rewards, but understand that the very things least useful to me are the most desirable to someone else. In general I do believe that login rewards should be relatively minor in order to avoid a sense of being left out for those who cannot login every day.

I voted no. I like the rewards. For certain items, the login contribution is essential to me, since there are no easy/cheap alternatives to get them, like mainly: Laurels, mystic coins and mystic clovers. In my case, the laurels are important as I use them to buy heavy bags for high tier material, but the mystic clovers are the key ones: The cost free 7 out of the chest of loyalty are nicely speeding to reach the 77 required for crafting legendary weapons.

Side note: For players not doing WvW (because there we get a lot), the tomes of knowledge are also very welcome.

If the issue is that some of the rewards are useless to some players - like luck and tomes of knowledge - maybe a better solution would be to make those optional?

Replace them with a chest which gives you a choice of Luck, Tomes or something else which always has a use, even if it's just converting it to gold like laurels. Even for people who do use both it might be nice to have a choice, so for example if you're using a lot more Tomes at the moment you can always pick those, even if you haven't maxed your magic find yet.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:As much as many would enjoy a free Black Lion Chest Key, including myself, I am doubtful it would be added as a Log-in Reward.

The Chest of Black Lion Goods can give you a key, but it's not guaranteed and I suspect it has a lower drop rate than a lot of the other items. I think it's highly unlikely they'd give a guaranteed free key for logging in, even once a month because I assume it would reduce their sales. (Of course I don't know how much, if the majority of keys are purchased by people who always spend X gems on keys on the same day every month then maybe the impact would be minimal, but if a lot of keys are bought by people who buy one whenever they have spare gems/gold it could have a big impact.)

Another potential issue...although I'm not sure how much of a concern it would be, is that it might reduce the number of people doing key runs which would make low level maps seem a lot emptier and less active.

I wouldn't mind some changes/adjustments.Remove Luck, it's useless even for people who don't have max Magic Find yet, you get a lot more from salvaging gear.Laurels should be 5, 8, 12, 15 per week (+5 to total monthly amount).Mystic Coins should be 5 Coins per week (same total amount in different portions).Tomes and Trans Charges should be 5 per week plus extras (choosables).There should be more "choosable" rewards: Tomes, Trans Charges, material bags.Chest of Black Lion Goods should have a higher chance to drop a Key, I've never got a Key from this thing.Chest of Loyalty is mostly okay but everyone I know picks Laurels so maybe adjust the other rewards or offer new ones.

@"Mea.5491" said:I wouldn't mind some changes/adjustments.Remove Luck, it's useless even for people who don't have max Magic Find yet, you get a lot more from salvaging gear.Laurels should be 5, 8, 12, 15 per week (+5 to total monthly amount).Mystic Coins should be 5 Coins per week (same total amount in different portions).Tomes and Trans Charges should be 5 per week plus extras (choosables).There should be more "choosable" rewards: Tomes, Trans Charges, material bags.Chest of Black Lion Goods should have a higher chance to drop a Key, I've never got a Key from this thing.Chest of Loyalty is mostly okay but everyone I know picks Laurels so maybe adjust the other rewards or offer new ones.

Luck is not useless to people that haven't maxed out magic find and the percentage of people that have maxed out magic find is only a tiny amount.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@"Mea.5491" said:I wouldn't mind some changes/adjustments.
Remove Luck
, it's useless even for people who don't have max Magic Find yet, you get a lot more from salvaging gear.Laurels should be 5, 8, 12, 15 per week (+5 to total monthly amount).Mystic Coins should be 5 Coins per week (same total amount in different portions).Tomes and Trans Charges should be 5 per week plus extras (choosables).There should be more "choosable" rewards: Tomes, Trans Charges, material bags.Chest of Black Lion Goods should have a higher chance to drop a Key, I've never got a Key from this thing.Chest of Loyalty is mostly okay but everyone I know picks Laurels so maybe adjust the other rewards or offer new ones.

Luck is not useless to people that haven't maxed out magic find and the percentage of people that have maxed out magic find is only a tiny amount.

I haven't maxed out Magic Find yet but I find free Luck completely useless because I get a lot more just by salvaging stuff after an event.

I think the overall login reward system is good, but some of the specific rewards need to be revised. I agree with other suggestions for changing luck and tomes into pickable options out of a larger pool, along with transmutation charges. I have no use for Tomes or T-charges, and at some point I won't have a use for Luck either. Being able to pick something else like crafting mats for any of those would be appreciated.

Archived