What do PvE players think is reasonable for Gift of Battle - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What do PvE players think is reasonable for Gift of Battle

2>

Comments

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

Somehow I ended up with a Gift of Battle after hearing that the reward track had other goodies I might like. I'm rank 8, finding it hard to actually hit 9, but I've completed two reward tracks only doing a couple of zergs, taking out the occasional dolyak, playing ruin-go-round for an hour or two, and a few "Big Spender" dailies. I think it might have taken me two or three weeks and maybe three or four hours total of actual WvW action. I was surprised at how little it took, honestly.

Request to Anet: Can Gifts of Battle be unbound? I'd love to sell mine. Right now, it's taking up bank storage space. I don't have the heart to toss it, since I'll never use it. I could definitely use the gold though.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

As a mostly-PvE player I think the current acquisition method is fine.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

If someone wants to force PvE players to play their game mode to get Gift of Battle, then I'm certainly not going to budge an inch on my opinion regarding the Gift of Exploration.

"It's not that hard, just find a zerg and stack boosters, and you'll have more GoB's that you know what to do with"

uh.. yeah.. it's not that hard, just stack boosters, and do zone completion. I've done map completion 15 times (including 5 when WvW was required), and I can assure you, unlike WvW, there are waypoints all over the place. There are also a lot of locations outside the main cities where you can park your character for 10minutes or so while you make lunch, and not have to worry about coming back to being dead.

And really, we're 6 years in to GW2. It's time to cut the kitten and admit that the challenge of running around in WvW is substantially different from the "challenge" of doing world completion.

In OWPvE, mobs don't get their undies in a twist and stalk you if you crush them. Nor do they stalk you if you're an easy kill. They are not a conscious entity capable of holding a grudge, and even though you may come up against a thousand of them, you're not going to run into any that have psychological disorders that prevent them from understanding the basic concepts of human decency. No mob is going to dance on your corpse, and if you kill them there is exactly 0% chance that they'll get mad enough to try and find you in real life.

Beyond that, for me personally, I hate the current setup because I find WvW to be boring. You either Zerg, or you Roam. There's no in between. If the Gift of Battle is going to stay in WvW, then I'd like to see the requirements reduced along with the next big up date. The things they've talked about (such as being able to play with my guild, since servers don't seem to matter anymore), make the thought of having to grind the reward track a bit less annoying. Being able to play with your friends makes a big difference in how quickly the time passes. You can form your own squads, do your own thing and have fun. Currently, depending on your server, it's a shot in the dark as to whether or not you get a commander that is good. If Anet can get their proposed changes into place, it will greatly improve the monotony of grinding for the Gift of Battle.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@foarequiem.9013 said:
    As big players WvW can I ask for a wvw only gift of exploration ? Lol

As weird as it sounds, GoE would be a kitten ton harder in WvW if you had to get all the map elements. I remember it being an issue in the first place, since certain locations could be inaccessible for weeks (if not months) depending on how your server is for taking keeps. Might not be as bad now with the server linking... but T4 (being what it is) can be one sided in a bad way. I'm curious if this would encourage pugs to form up on a K-train if the intent was to get map exploration.

Well we did it back in the days, so it was possible ;-)

Yes, but WvW matchups were changing weekly and you could always count to swap colors every week which allowed for easier exploration. It's much harder these days, not mentioning a horror that is desert borderlands without mounts.

Not necessarily. When I got the first world exploration on my alt account (about four years ago) I was playing on a server that back then was firmly sitting in last place, so firmly in fact that we were red 95% of the time, blue about 5%, and there wasn't even a theoretical chance to ever be green. I fondly remember the night I stumbled upon two random strangers on the green borderlands and together the three of us proceeded to open up all of the keeps to grab the points of interest and vistas inside. Fortunately being in a match-up of only low-population wvw servers meant that there wasn't really much danger of enemies showing up either ;) .

While I enjoy occasional outings into wvw, I certainly don't mind the wvw maps being gone from the requirements of the Gift of Exploration. Gift of Battle is much easier to aquire these days than GoE was back when WvW was still a requirement. I understand that it takes some people far out of their comfort zone, but since we are talking about a material for a legendary item I suspect that this is very much intended and no pve only way to aquire it would make up for that purpose.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Funky.4861 said:
    there's no alternative to map completion- you have to do every heart, hero point, vista and point of interest.

But nobody ganks you while you're doing it, at least.

And you can work solo.
    And you don't have to walk for 5 minutes to find something to do.
    And you won't get randomly abandoned by a fickle commander while doing a heart, forcing you to chase them all over the map.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭

@thehipone.6812 said:

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Funky.4861 said:
    there's no alternative to map completion- you have to do every heart, hero point, vista and point of interest.

That champ risen knight patrolling that one hero point in Malchor's leap says hi.

I'm sure that for someone who plays WvW exclusively but has never done anything other than run with a zerg of 15+ people and relied completely on skill rotations that the Champion Risen Knight is a challenge. For anyone who has risen above that level, the Knight should be simple.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

@Zaraki.5784 said:
    As a mostly-PvE player I think the current acquisition method is fine.

Ditto and I'm 100% PVE. Most of the time EotM is barren, making it essentially a PVE zone. Just run around and kill PVe enemies and get reward points. I'm 2500 points from my second Gift of Battle and all of my points have been from Big Spender or dailies in EOTM. It can be done slowly with zero human interaction (Big Spender only), moderately fast with almost no human interaction (EOTM dailies and roaming), or very fast if you choose to you know, battle.

WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

• Fremtid.3528Fremtid.3528 Member ✭✭✭

I recently needed a gift of battle because I was preparing for gen 2 longbow so I was gathering all the stuff so I can have it on day 1 release of it so I went and did some WvW for a few days. It was no big deal at all.

• Elothar.4382Elothar.4382 Member ✭✭✭

As a dedicated PVE player, having crafted several legendaries, I think the system is okay as is. I'm not a big fan of WvW, but, at least for me, it doesn't seem overly onerous to do the time necessary for GoB.

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

I went to wvw for GoB for my first leggy, years ago. I stayed because i enjoyed it. Its fine as it is. I know of other people who are into wvw because of GoB. Besides, it is a gift of BATTLE. wink

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have no problem with having to do WvW to craft a legendary weapon, but I see a problem with not having such requirement for PvP too.
    I see that as an oversight.

Currently, the Gift of the Mists requires these:

• Gift of Battle : Reward track
    • Gift of War : 250 Battle Memories,
    • Gift of Glory : 250 Shards of Glory
    • Cube of stabilized dark energy : Dark energy + 75 stabilizing matrices.

To make the Gift of the Mists make sense and be fair across all game modes, it should have been something like this:

• Gift of War: 250 battle memories + Gift of Battle.
    • Gift of Glory: 250 shards of glory + Perfect Mists Core
    • Gift of Fractals: 250 +2 infusions, + Fractal Journal
    • Cube of stabilized dark energy : Dark energy + 75 stabilizing matrices.

This way there's both things you can buy, and items you have to obtain yourself. And it requires actually playing in all of the mists.

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭

Like many others have posted, If you have started to make a Legendary weapon, then be prepared to grind for it and not expect it to just be given to you, These weapons should force you to play each game mode and i'm surprised there is not a req to do a PvP reward track aswell.

• thehipone.6812thehipone.6812 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

@Neural.1824 said:

@thehipone.6812 said:

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Funky.4861 said:

That champ risen knight patrolling that one hero point in Malchor's leap says hi.

I'm sure that for someone who plays WvW exclusively but has never done anything other than run with a zerg of 15+ people and relied completely on skill rotations that the Champion Risen Knight is a challenge. For anyone who has risen above that level, the Knight should be simple.

Yeah, it's not a bad fight normally, except he has a habit of Oh Hai! flying over from far away as soon as you start to channel and doing that fire charge attack that can down you pretty fast if you don't immediately break the channel.

And I'm not really sure what to make of your insult...I'm not a WvW zerg player.

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wish I could trade one of my GoBs I have in the bank for elder wood.

• Yamazuki.6073Yamazuki.6073 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

I don't mind getting the Gift from WvW, but I suppose that's because I already know WvW can be mostly afked through for the rewards. Capped out on tickets before with minimal interaction from other players multiple times.

• @starlinvf.1358 said:
    I'm curious to see what PvE (particularly open world) players think is a reasonably gated system for obtaining Gift Of Battle from non-raid PvE content.

What is the point of a WvW Gift that doesnt' require playing WvW to obtain? Either it's fair to require folks to participate in more than PvE to obtain a bound Legendary or it's not fair. In the first case, the current system is fine; in the second case, I can't see that it matters much, since it will basically turn into either a PvE time or money grind.

The WvW time-commitment is nominal (6-12 hours, not counting learning) and it can be bypassed entirely with Daily Big Spender (~10 months) or substantially avoided (using the PvE-ish dailies in WvW, probably 2 months or less depending on the player).

For me, the larger question is why ANet has quadrupled down on the idea ("it's fair to require more than PvE for legendary weapons") only for WvW. They've gone out of their way multiple times to make it impossible to avoid WvW, but... the PvP component is obtainable on the TP for peanuts (relative to the total costs).

tl;dr if it's fair to require WvW for legendary weapons, the current requirement is modest; if it's unfair, why even require a Gift of Battle at all?

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    For me, the larger question is why ANet has quadrupled down on the idea ("it's fair to require more than PvE for legendary weapons") only for WvW. They've gone out of their way multiple times to make it impossible to avoid WvW, but... the PvP component is obtainable on the TP for peanuts (relative to the total costs).

tl;dr if it's fair to require WvW for legendary weapons, the current requirement is modest; if it's unfair, why even require a Gift of Battle at all?

To be fair, in the age of pvp farm arenas, requiring a pvp reward track is fairly pointless. Getting your GoB from big spender dailies only looks like a pretty a huge task compared to getting a reward track done in a custom farm arena.

• Dinova.8597Dinova.8597 Member
    edited July 10, 2018

Just to give this a bump, since after months i finaly getting to the final steps of my Kudzu, and so i reached the Gift of Battle.

I spent months on events, mobs, gathering, daily crafts of the needed materials (thats alot) and extra money to buy the few odds missing (like that other pvp token). So the odd few times i ran around in WvW, its 90% dead on the ground, 10% running around to even find someone.

I now came to the point where i just think.. why wasted all them time, i couldve sold all that i made and just buy the stupid weapon. The ammount of stuff i crafted i really wouldnt be that far of 1000G.

The vast time i spent on all the crafting/farming (them seeds..), all just falls down to some 'mode' i dont wanna play longer then 10 minutes at best. Its not like PVE, where i just switch character and find a new event/meta to do, when you like PVE you dont mind days, weeks or months of the same stuff, but when you have to do something for weeks (by the speed im currently going) that you absolute hate.. whats the point?

Yes, its not fair to both sides, i dont like it how people focused on 1 side (PVE or PVP) are forced to do the other thing, for a unknown period of time (people do claim 4-8 hours, but i doubt this also counts for the people that simply hate the mode). I only done this for the satisfaction of making the kitten weapon myself, RNG gave me enough frustration already, but i got to the point i just cba anymore to build it.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    what do PvE players think WvW is lacking in the rewards department to not be worth the time? (At what point would you actually be willing to farm there)

It's not much but there are three things I would change:

1.)

Save participation rate when you leave WvW, it should only go down if someone does nothing while inside of WvW.

2.)

Decouple the WvW tickets from the skirmish system and make them tick rewards based on participation level: level one: one ticket, level two: two tickets...

3.)

Reduce the level requirement of the mistforged hero stuff and make it more akin to what the legendary backpack requires.

@Dinova.8597 said:
    Just to give this a bump, since after months i finaly getting to the final steps of my Kudzu, and so i reached the Gift of Battle.

I spent months on events, mobs, gathering, daily crafts of the needed materials (thats alot) and extra money to buy the few odds missing (like that other pvp token). So the odd few times i ran around in WvW, its 90% dead on the ground, 10% running around to even find someone.

I now came to the point where i just think.. why wasted all them time, i couldve sold all that i made and just buy the stupid weapon. The ammount of stuff i crafted i really wouldnt be that far of 1000G.

The vast time i spent on all the crafting/farming (them seeds..), all just falls down to some 'mode' i dont wanna play longer then 10 minutes at best. Its not like PVE, where i just switch character and find a new event/meta to do, when you like PVE you dont mind days, weeks or months of the same stuff, but when you have to do something for weeks (by the speed im currently going) that you absolute hate.. whats the point?

Yes, its not fair to both sides, i dont like it how people focused on 1 side (PVE or PVP) are forced to do the other thing, for a unknown period of time (people do claim 4-8 hours, but i doubt this also counts for the people that simply hate the mode). I only done this for the satisfaction of making the kitten weapon myself, RNG gave me enough frustration already, but i got to the point i just cba anymore to build it.

*cough gift of exploration for wvwers cough *

• Roll into WvW, do a few dailies. You'll have it in a month or so after 10-15 minutes of WvW each day. Considering how easy some WvW dailies are, you should do probably be doing this anyway.

• TwilightSoul.9048TwilightSoul.9048 Member ✭✭✭

I'd consider myself a PvE Player but I do enjoy playing a little bit in WvW every then and now and so far I've never felt that Gift of Battle was the problem in crafting a legendary. I struggle a lot more with Amalgament Gemstones and Crystaline Ore... But I'm also someone who tries to avoid all HoT content as much as possible since I dislike the HoT Meta Event concept.

Anyway, I don't think anything about Gift of Battle needs to change but I do think there are many things about WvW that need to change but for now I'd wait for the Alliance changes as I think they'll improve WvW greatly.
    After that I'd love to see an attention shift towards strategic aspects of the objectives and an increased importance of supply management, I don't enjoy the mentality of "the bigger the zerg the better" and basically just having a huge group of people farming objectives, I'd much prefer a shift to a more strategic gameplay instead of the brute force concept that is ruling WvW at the moment, but that is a whole different topic which I hope will be addressed once the Alliances have been established.

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Gift of Battle is fine as is. I have no issues getting a gift every couple months by doing the easy WvW dailies or spending the 8 hours or less actually playing WvW.

• @Voltekka.2375 said:

As i clearly said, its not fair on both side, forcing people to play 'the other side'.

@Dinova.8597 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

As i clearly said, its not fair on both side, forcing people to play 'the other side'.

Cant really compare GoB with explo gift tho.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dinova.8597 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Clarify why it’s not “fair”?

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Said it before, and I'll say it again, I would fully support making Gifts buyable on the Trading Post or allowing an exchange (4:1::Battle:Exploration) to account for the similarities in time commitment.

If anything, I'd be curious how much the market would price those Gifts.

I'd also gladly trade 1000 spirit shards for a GoB. I'm swimming in the things like Scrooge McDuck anyway...

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

I understand the resentment many PvE players are expressing about being 'forced' to PvP for rewards. I've seen this argument before (most notably in WoW), but the truth here is that GW2 isn't WoW, and this isn't nearly as onerous as people portray.

May I offer some advice:

1. It takes 80 potions of WvW Reward Track XP to fully complete a reward track, and those potions are awarded by completing WvW dailies, 1-2 per, depending on the difficulty. (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily)

2. Many of the dailies are EASY to complete and don't require interacting with the opposing teams, specifically:

• Land Claimer - kill an enemy Sentry and cap the point
    • Mists Guard Killer - kill 5 Enemy NPCs (easy to do if you attack a camp, which leads to..)
    • Camp Capturer - flip 2 enemy caps, which not only also allows you complete Guard Killer above, but...
    • Caravan Disruptor - most camps have 1-2 Dolyaks running around. Burn em down for cash and prizes
    • Master of Monuments - go and stand on a ruin...and that's it. You don't even have to press F or anything
    • Big Spender - if you do the dailies above, you'll have the badges you need to spend 25 Badges of Honor at a vendor. Oh, and completing the daily gives you 10 badges back.

And while yes, enemy players can be around, all the above dailies are about as PvE as chopping lumber or doing events in a specific zone. If you know how to play the game, you can solo those dailies on your glass cannon PvE spec characters, no problem, and if you're grouped up or following other players, all you really need to do is tag mobs.

A few weeks back I decided I'd just collect the potions, and after only WvW'ing for maybe an hour a day, with a few more on the weekends, I'm up to 97 Potions in my bank. Completing the dailies above takes mere minutes. If you get Guard Killer, Land Claimer and Master of Monuments open at the same time, you can get 3 dailies done in 10 minutes.

Of the dailies listed above, I can't think of a day when at least 1 if not 2 of those were available, so you can easily get 2-3 potions per day, which means if you do exactly nothing else than run these dailies, you'll have a Gift of Battle in 27 days (and just by participating you will earn WvW Reward track progress, so its actually less than 27 days).

It might be 'wrong' to force PvE only players to play WvW, but it is the way the game is designed, and it really really REALLY isn't that bad, especially in comparison to many other MMO titles. IMO, in the ridiculous grind that is crafting Legendary weapons, the Gift of Battle is one of the least burdensome requirements, regardless of how you play Gw2.

• Zalavaaris.5329Zalavaaris.5329 Member ✭✭✭

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    I've seen this flare every time a new Legendary comes out, and I'm curious to see what PvE (particularly open world) players think is a reasonably gated system for obtaining Gift Of Battle from non-raid PvE content. And to open the collections back in the opposite direction, what do PvE players think WvW is lacking in the rewards department to not be worth the time? (At what point would you actually be willing to farm there)

And don't make me disclaimer this thing....... it always ends up in the salt mines.

I'm happy with the rewards as they are. I'm a pve player and when I need gift of battle I do the content to earn it.

• Archranis.2375Archranis.2375 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018

I think it's pretty simple......determine how long it takes someone grinding in WvW to get a GoB, and then create a comparable grind in PvE. If you hate doing WvW and are just in there grinding for the GoB you'll enjoy/tolerate it a lot more by doing a comparable grind in PvE. If this is game all about having the most fun (and not having something to prove to yourself and everyone else), then why not simply change (or in this case, add) the nature of the task/grind without diminishing the effort required? Challenging can very often be fun. Aggravating is hardly ever fun.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's worst that things are locked behind raids than doing a bit in WvW.
    Why can't there be a way to have a collection to unlock an ascended armour set like the weapons that doesn't need to kill a *&^& raid boss?
    It's a bit easier to get into wvw as well.

• @Archranis.2375 said:
    ...create a comparable grind in PvE.

Why?
    If it's bad for the game to require participation in WvW, why not just remove the requirement? For those who don't mind WvW, it's one of the least-effort endeavors in the process. If anything, a "fairness" update would allow a WvW-only substitute for the Gift of Exploration (although, frankly, that needn't take all that long either).

All of these ideas leave out an important consideration: ANet has, more than once, revamped the method for obtaining the Gift of Battle specifically to ensure that one had to touch WvW in some way. Let's not just assume it was arbitrary on their part. As with any decision they've made that has led to more work for them, some push back from fans: they have given it careful consideration; they don't make choices like this lightly.

Since they haven't explicitly said why they've done it, we are forced to speculate. Over the years, I've seen only two plausible theories:

• They want to encourage people to try other game modes. and/or
    • They want legendaries to suggest overall mastery of the game, which means branching out beyond people's comfort zones.

Changing the requirements for GoB to be PvE-obtainable undermines both of these, so it doesn't seem likely.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

It's fine the way it is, and this coming from a 98% PvE player.

In order to make a legendary, you have to do an insane amount of work, and it should be that way. So, you don't want to WvW? Fine. Do without the GoB. Don't want to do PvE Map completion? Fine. Do without the GoE. It should not now, nor ever change. If you don't want to do the work, then don't get the reward.

Legendaries used to be the BIS for any given weapon. With ascended weapons, we can get the same stats on a crafted piece, so gaining a Legendary is now a case of aesthetics. You, as a player (generic term) have to decide for yourself if a few pixels are worth doing what you don't like in order to obtain. All changing the requirements does is trivialize the work others have already done. Don't do that. That's the way people leave.

Disclaimer: I do not have and most likely will not have a legendary for a long time.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

PvXer here as well, you seem to be getting a lot of us, not opposed to the GoB reward track but spend a chunk of time in WvW already. That said not certain why there isn't a type of reward track for other aspects.

Picture a reward track for:

• Completing Fractals
    • World Bosses

Dungeons and map metas already have their own "reward tracks" to men but could see ways to convert zone currencies and tokens into something to advance something like a reward track.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

• Tanner Blackfeather.6509Tanner Blackfeather.6509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018

@Ashabhi.1365 said:
    Legendaries used to be the BIS for any given weapon. With ascended weapons, we can get the same stats on a crafted piece, so gaining a Legendary is now a case of aesthetics.

They have never had higher stats than any other weapon(1).
    Originally, they were Exotic. When Ascended launched, they were upgraded to match.

(1) There has been some strangeness with the level scaling so that legendaries weren't downscaled the same as Ascended. Don't know if it's fixed. Still, only impacted sub-80 maps.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Archranis.2375 said:
    the nature of the task/grind without diminishing the effort required? Challenging can very often be fun. Aggravating is hardly ever fun.

This is an interesting statement for me, as we are talking about Legendary weapons. Why haven't I started to craft one? Because it's hard? Skill is not a factor. I don't because it is a long and tiring grind, and I don't think any of the Legendary weapons are worth the effort. I know that may sound weird, but I just don't find any the Leg skins to be all that "awesome", and there are skins available in the TP or BL chests that I find more desirable (its all subjective so YMMV obv).

So if I don't care about the look of the Legendary, what about the ability to swap stats? Off the top of my head I'd guess it would be cheaper and faster to craft 2 or 3 ascended versions of the weapon (maybe more?) before it hit the same material requirements as a Legendary.

Legendary weapon crafting is a huge (over the top IMO) grind, and grinds aren't fun for most people, so I don't understand why anyone would complain about it being unfun to do - it's 100% optional and everyone knows (or should) going in that this is going to suck, but if you want the shiny reward at the end of the journey, you tighten your boots, oil up your blades and get 'er done.

• Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭

Once upon a time achievement chests granted WvW currency, and I was able to buy two Gifts of Battle, which I still haven't used. So, I don't really have a dog in this race.

Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

• What was the PVE equivalent before the change to WvW, was 100% map clear this included at one point WvW maps, or did people forget that?

• @aryvandar.8562 said:
    What was the PVE equivalent before the change to WvW, was 100% map clear this included at one point WvW maps, or did people forget that?

I think veterans forget because hardly anyone liked having to finish WvW map completion. It was hard to make happen on your own schedule. (I worked around by sending every character to WvW whenever we were green, then blue, then red, just to get it out of the way.)

I think newer players don't care in the least what the system was before they started working on a legendary. (And why should they?)

It's always going to come back to: why does ANet think WvW should be required? Because they have changed the mechanic, not once, not twice, but at least three times to make it harder to get the Gift without WvW participation. It seems hardly likely that they'd change it a fourth time to make it easier, without a compelling & new reason.

(Although, to be fair, if that's true, it begs the question: why is the sPvP requirement basically buying something on the TP for peanuts? Why does ANet want WvW to matter in a way that sPvP never has?)

• azizul.8469azizul.8469 Member ✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018

i have 2 GoB in sitting my inventories that i got from doing wvw dailies alone. my point is it is already easy to get the GoB . the current implementation is fine. hell, if people want to go back to buying it from NPC make it 1000 badges (used to be 500).

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it's fine as it is for the FIRST GoB you get. Getting one should also unlock a second option. By that point, you've tried WvW, and you've got a good idea if you'll enjoy it or not.

If you do, great! You can get your next GoB the same way.

If you don't, then you've at least tried it and proven that you can manage it. You have nothing left to prove. So, why not allow a secondary, maybe slower, way to get it so that it's more enjoyable?

And yes, I feel the same way about GoE.

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭

Reward tracks and EoTM.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.