The environment of Kryta — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The environment of Kryta

Hello there.

First of all, I wanted to praise the people in charge of the maps and environmental art. It's phenomenal, and this is partly why I cherish the series so much.

I'm interested to know why Kryta went from a fully tropical climate in GW to a mix between tropical (mostly Lion's Arch and southern Kryta) and temperate (northern Kryta) in GW2. What motivated this change?

I must say that I feel a bit nostalgic about the beautiful white-sand beaches and the crystal-clear blue saltwater.
1527098061-farmland-concept-art.jpg

Tagged:

Comments

• Nokomis.5076Nokomis.5076 Member ✭✭✭

I would say.... humans.

Real world humans change environment drastically, so humans with magic in Tyria surely can do worse!

Was I able to help you or give you a hint? Click on Helpful and/or Thumbs up, I would appreciate it alot!
    When you encounter a bug ingame, at first you should file a ticket via the ingame command /bug, as only this way the devs will know exactly where you were, when the bug happened.

• Could the rising of Orr have impacted the climate and moved/removed the temperate regions? I mean, an entire continent rising has to do major damage, eh?

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Nokomis.5076Nokomis.5076 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Could the rising of Orr have impacted the climate and moved/removed the temperate regions? I mean, an entire continent rising has to do major damage, eh?

Also caused by a human :D

Was I able to help you or give you a hint? Click on Helpful and/or Thumbs up, I would appreciate it alot!
    When you encounter a bug ingame, at first you should file a ticket via the ingame command /bug, as only this way the devs will know exactly where you were, when the bug happened.

• draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

I always headcanoned it somewhat as there always having been some shift between northern and southern Kryta, even if the biome was displayed as being the same to ease the artistic burden. In GW1, the "Kryta" regions covered both the tropical southern regions and the cooler (albeit probably still subtropical) northern regions. In GW2, some of those southern regions are in what is now the Maguuma biome, which is shown as being substantially more tropical than GW1 Kryta, while GW2 Kryta is almost entirely in the cooler regions north of Lion's Arch.

Add a little climate change due to world events (less warm water coming up through the Sea of Sorrows, more cold air coming down from the Shiverpeaks due to Jormag), and I think it does all make sense.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.