Please Nerf the Chef!!!

Oldirtbeard.9834

First let me say Path of Fire is a real quality art piece, the difficulty is in a nice sweet spot, the story has really hit it's stride.

How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned. There are times when I've thrown ingredients at him dead on and they haven't been acknowledged. If you screw up once you'll fail. Hell over the course of 2 hours there have been a few times I have been perfect but still have the timer beat me any way because I kept on being told to get ingredients that were far away from the Chef. Please nerf this chef so that I don't need a carpal brace to recover thank you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, it is a bit frustrating when you fail. But it really isn't that difficult. It took me 3-4 tries. That's why it's a mastery point. It should challenge you a little. Nothing worth getting is ever easy. Like the previous post say, take a minute to familiarise yourself with the location of the ingredients and wait for the Chef to stand still before you throw your ingredients to him.

Hints that I found useful:

• Use the speed boon, it will make a difference
  • Expect a couple of practice runs to learn where everything is
  • Turn ground targeting on so your 2 skill (the throw) snaps straight to the chef, will save you missed throws
  • No, really, use the speed boonI got it on my third or fourth try and I'm usually around 260ms ping.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.

You are joking, right? :s

I don't want to sound mean, but I am really asking myself, if you can't master such a simple task movement-wise, how do you ever survive difficult fights?

People are good at different challenges. I find myself rezzing a lot of elite players all the time but I wouldn't say I'm better at the game than they are.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.

You are joking, right? :s

I don't want to sound mean, but I am really asking myself, if you can't master such a simple task movement-wise, how do you ever survive difficult fights?

I die repeatedly and hammer at the encounter until I beat it, sometimes with all my armor broken.

If you turn on "Show all usable items", it'll show all the ingredients for easy recognition. And always wait until the chef stop before throwing. Each successful throw refills your timer a little, so you do have a fair amount of leeway. I play with a ping of 200-250 and it only took me a few tries.

Also someone else has suggested turning on snap to ground target, then target the chef.

@rotheche.2964 said:Hints that I found useful:

• Use the speed boon, it will make a difference
  • Expect a couple of practice runs to learn where everything is
  • Turn ground targeting on so your 2 skill (the throw) snaps straight to the chef, will save you missed throws
  • No, really, use the speed boonI got it on my third or fourth try and I'm usually around 260ms ping.

Did all this, even have yolo mouse to see the cursor better.

@Assic.2746 said:Whoa... this must be a joke. People complain already instead of learning where the certain ingredients are.

Tip: Avoid throwing food through the obstacles (tables etc) or the throw will most likely fail. It's not a bug. It's designed this way.

I know where the ingredients are now, that isn't the problem; I am physically incapable of making constant sharp turns with my mouse with out triggering wrist pain and numbness in my fingers.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Assic.2746 said:Whoa... this must be a joke. People complain already instead of learning where the certain ingredients are.

Tip: Avoid throwing food through the obstacles (tables etc) or the throw will most likely fail. It's not a bug. It's designed this way.

I know where the ingredients are now, that isn't the problem; I am physically incapable of making constant sharp turns with my mouse with out triggering wrist pain and numbness in my fingers.

then skip it, they give more masteries than you need, and it does not count toward map completion

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:it's quite simple if I spend 2 hours trying to get at something then it's too over tuned for the open world.

Or you should change how you're doing it. Or skip it entirely. How long it takes you or I is irrelevant to the question of whether it's overtuned.

I'm also sorry it physically pains you to make sharp turns with the mouse you currently use. Annoying as that might be, it's also not critical to determining whether the event is overtuned. There are alternatives for moving your character, which might or might not work out better for you.

And finally, it's simply not true that you have to get it right every time. In my least successful attempt, I didn't miss once, but I was too slow to find the ingredient. In my successful attempt, I missed at least twice (might have missed 3 times); I was able to recover because I was quick on the subsequent occasions.

tl;dr one person's individual experience isn't useful for evaluating whether something it tuned too high, too low, or just right. It might be a question of changing how you approach it. Or you might just want to skip it, as there are lots of extra masteries around.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:it's quite simple if I spend 2 hours trying to get at something then it's too over tuned for the open world.

Or you should change how you're doing it. Or skip it entirely. How long it takes
you
or I is irrelevant to the question of whether it's overtuned.

I'm also sorry it physically pains you to make sharp turns with the mouse you currently use. Annoying as that might be, it's also not critical to determining whether the event is overtuned. There are alternatives for moving your character, which might or might not work out better for you.

And finally, it's simply not true that you have to get it right every time. In my least successful attempt, I didn't miss once, but I was too slow to find the ingredient. In my successful attempt, I missed at least twice (might have missed 3 times); I was able to recover because I was quick on the subsequent occasions.

tl;dr one person's individual experience isn't useful for evaluating whether something it tuned too high, too low, or just right. It might be a question of changing how you approach it. Or you might just want to skip it, as there are lots of extra masteries around.

You're right, honestly I think I was just angry that I spent 2 hours getting no where only to have to pop a brace on my arm with ice, I wound uo finding an MP in the Ocean to get Canyon Jumping so that I could get to the area with the springer.

I'm by no means a great GW2 player, my crowning achievement is Map Completion twice, and killing Mordremoth twice.

Archived