Engineer Thoughts!

Mardomus.6984

Hello everyone! I rarely come to forums to express my concerns, but as a long time veteran Engineer player, I'm not content with the changes; yes I'm late. I want to first start off with one of my favorite specs I've been using since day one, 2097 days, the Flamethrower. I enjoyed how the ability, when you are in Flamethrower mode, granted, I believe 300, toughness and stability at all times without the current 1-2 stacks of stability with 3 seconds you get from the Firearms trait "Juggernaut". The Flamethrower build is a very squishy build compared to the scrapper. I'm not sure why the flamethrower isn't buffed and on par with current specializations from other professions. My other concern are the turrets.

I use to mess with the turret build a lot back in the day in PvP and PvE content, but left it because the turrets would die way too fast and the cooldown time was too long even when you picked it up to reduce its cooldown time. All 4 turrets would die to one AoE move and the damage and durability was/is not strong enough. With my next argument regarding "Gyros" I thought of something that would maybe make turrets more useful and figured they should be called Gyro Turrets.

When I made my first Revenant, I thought the tablet ability was AMAZING. Some may disagree, but to keep the tablet out at all times made me think about the "Medic Gyro". I thought, why not have the Medic Gyro stay out permanently, like the "Functioning Gyro" when you activate it on the "6" bar. This effect can cancel out when you change the "6" ability to Med-Kit, or Elixir H, but when Medic Gyro is active, make the "6" ability into how the Healing turret was back in the day. You would click 6 to activate a spray with 2K+ heals with a 15 seconds cd and keep the current Medic Gyro Tool Belt skill. Also, as stated above, I thought that the turrets should also benefit from the "Functioning Gyro" effect. Have the "Gyro Turrets" circle around you or similar effects as the Medic Gyro or Functioning Gyro design and have it attack your target when you attack, only. Obviously change the tool belt to something more fun and make this skill available in Inventions. This will make Turrets more fun to use and less stressful trying to keep them alive and when moving to the next stage or running in and out of fights in WvW or whatever. These should be permanent as well and the abilities from 7-9 should be fixed to something, I don't know. Healing turret will probably act as Medic Gyro in this state, due to how awesome it is and the fact that it is already a "Gyro". Also, the Gyro's size should be like the Medic Gyro or maybe a bit smaller, with different cool designs.

I'm not fond of the Med-kit and the changes feel.... lack luster to me. It doesn't feel fun and to be honest, I miss the old days of throwing out bandages. Maybe change it to throw out 10 like the "Med Kit Drop" Elite tool belt with an 8 second cooldown and the bandages last for 15 seconds being able to stack up to 20 bandages, only. Throwing bandages forward with the current setup looks horrible and feels bleh. I don't like how the 5th ability is and how it will work on mobility fights and the spray... seems to be weak and useless to me. Maybe have a Gun and make it spray further and wider like the flamethrower 1 ability staking Regen water drops or change it into something more Engineery. Cleansing field should be similar to the Revenant's upkeep where you can keep it up all times and have it cleanse per second or something. The 4th ability... I have no idea what the mess that suppose to be, but is a horrible design.Elixir Gun should be.. and Elixir gun. Its not even used a lot and probably useful only for it's condition removal, but many other professions do better. I'm pretty sure the community can come up with a way to make it group wide buff or condition type gun. I think Alchemy trait should be a boon trait focused on boons like Revenant, Guardians, Mesmers, or other boon professions that are able to support allies with boons. The Elixir Gun should benefit off this trait as well. The trait should allow the Elixir gun to shoot Elixirs like Elixir U, B, H, C, and R at allies to boon buff them. This will make this gun an actual Elixir Gun. Shooting Elixirs from the gun should be similar to the Elite Mortar Kit but with a larger radius. Elixir Gun skill 1 should be Elixir U, 2 should be Elixir B, 3 should be Elixir C, 4 should be Elixir R, and 5 should be Elixir H, and the actual Elixirs you have in slots 6-9, should benefit you as they currently do. Fix the tool belt skill of Elixir Gun and Elixirs. Also, there should be an Elixir Elite Kit "0" that allows you to drop different types of Elixirs on the groud allowing players to run over them for its buff, or an Elixir gun to use for couple of seconds like Elemental weapons or something unique. Maybe have 5 Elixirs drop like the tool belt Supply crate "Med Kit Drop" and the actual skill be an Elixir gun an ally can use.

I think these changes will make Engineers unique as they should be able to bring out more hidden Engineers into endgame or group content. I hope my ideas shine a light at the Devs, if not it was fun being able to think of something that would make my Engineer more "enjoyable". Thanks all for reading!

Oh jeez.

Yes, Flamethrower camping and turrets are bad, in my opinion, irredeemably bad without a full re-work to the mechanic.

However, Gyro-Turrets, giving Med Kit an elite Supply Drop skill every 8s, or allowing eGun to fire all elixirs - making slotting those elixirs pointless - these are all objectively very poor ideas.

Check out other suggestions for Gyros, Turrets, etc. here on the Engi forum.

ArenaNet has never shown respect towards the engineer. They just kept nerfing the profession and by the time the Holosmith was released, they didn't to anything to buff or fix the lackluster kits, elixirs, gadgets or turrets.

Turrets die so fast that it's not worth using them.

Elixirs have been gutted because they removed the Alchemical Tinctures trait that allowed you to remove conditions from yourself and allies.

Gadgets. Everything except Rocket Boots is awful.

Kits. Tool Kits' auto attack is still useless and hasn't been reworked, Grenade Kits' auto attack damage hasn't been increased to deal more damage and to scale better with power damage than Shrapnel Grenade etc. Not to mention the abundance of bugs and glitches with the kits that are still present to this day.

Archived