Stance on toolbox — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Stance on toolbox

Hey,

I was wondering what Anet's stance is on Toolbox. SCW said in his AMA that he didn't have enough info about the program and what it does to have a proper opinion a while back. However, people are openly advertising to use toolbox in all kind of different channels: reddit, discord etc.
They say they'll use it to because it improves their quality of life, like being able to open chests from anywhere in town or keeping chat history after changing characters. However it also has a couple of game-breaking features.

Tagged:

Comments

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

@lxl Ra lxl.5896 said:
    Hey,

I was wondering what Anet's stance is on Toolbox. [...] However it also has a couple of game-breaking features.

I'm not ArenaNet and can't/wont answer for them, but I guess the last line already says enough. I don't ever think that third party mods with game-breaking features will be allowed. Question remains if users get actively hunted down and if game-breaking features actually give an unfair advantage (which is clearly disallowed) but I would guess you take a risk by using it.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Boro.7359Boro.7359 Member ✭✭

well, then we could consider the generous lever opening bot of pre searing to be game breaking.

• @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@lxl Ra lxl.5896 said:
    Hey,

I was wondering what Anet's stance is on Toolbox. [...] However it also has a couple of game-breaking features.

I'm not ArenaNet and can't/wont answer for them, but I guess the last line already says enough. I don't ever think that third party mods with game-breaking features will be allowed. Question remains if users get actively hunted down and if game-breaking features actually give an unfair advantage (which is clearly disallowed) but I would guess you take a risk by using it.

If we knew Anet wouldn't agree with the program, we could atleast tell newcomers that it isn't how GW was meant to be played that way.

• We have always made it clear that the use of third-party programs is undertaken at the user's own risk. We also have expressed that ArenaNet does not seek out, review, monitor, or approve any third-party program.

Whether someone considers something that merely improves QoL or not, the fact is that anything that gives advantage in the game is expressly disallowed. I can give you an example: Someone once asked about using an auto-clicker to gain Party Animal and other titles that require the use of a lot of components. I answered that in my opinion auto-clicking does seem to give an advantage, because while I'll clicking 10,000 times each -- and believe me, I did exactly that for both my titles! -- someone else is increasing their wealth through playing other parts of the game.

So again, we don't approve third-party programs and each use is on the player to determine if they are gaining advantage. If so, they'd be wise to not use the program at all.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.