Elite spec suggestion: The Voidcaller

Avador.8934

Hey there, this is my elite spec suggestion and I would appreciate any feedback :)

The Voidcaller

Lore: Many mesmers are known as highly secretive individuals, who cannot be always trusted and tend to hide their true skills from the public. That strong desire for secrets even forced some of them to search for a hidden and long forgotten knowledge. And some of them found it. These mesmers, now called Voidcallers, learnt how to infuse their illusion magic with dark arts, enhancing their aggressive capabilities. They absorb their strength from a dimension known as the Void, whose true nature is unknown to anyone but Voidcallers themselves. They use it to summon deadly entities, dark echoes of themselves, to accomplish any goal they have. Wielding an enhanced hammer, they use it to crush reality into pieces, as well as to crush the head of anyone foolish enough to try to steal their secrets. And when nothing else helps, they can use their bare hands to tear rifts into the Void to fill the reality with its dark and deadly power.Role: Versatile support, high AoE damageTheme specifics: The Shadow Echo, Shadows, Hammer, Eruptions, designed in dark purple color

Profession mechanic: The Shadow Echo

Voidcallers gain access to an F5 skill, called the Shadow Echo. Once used, all active clones are shattered and turned into entities simply referred to as Shadows. Like clones, they bear similarity to the caster, but unlike them, they are made of a dark purple like energy (they look similar to a player in Celestial Avatar, but are more dark purple in color and engulfed in purple aura). The Shadows appear near you when created, and focus on their summoner’s target. Shadow Echo cannot be used again when there are still active Shadows, and cannot be used when there are no clones to turn into Shadows. After it ends, it goes on cooldown of about 20 – 30 seconds (not sure about the right number, maybe even higher).Shadows bear no weapons, instead they will fire mid-range blasts at their opponents. They cause a mediocre damage (more than clones, less than phantasms but attack faster than the old phantasms), but have a very high sustain.As long as at least one Shadow is still alive, the Voidcaller cannot summon clones (but can summon phantasms, they just won’t turn into a clone) and is under an effect, the Shadow Echo, that gives the Voidcaller additional bonuses based on traits.

Also, during Shadow Echo effect, Voidcaller’s shatter skills turn into a Void enhanced versions of themselves, called the Shadow shatters, specifically designed to shatter the Shadows, causing different, powerful effects. They are all ground-targeted. Since they are Shatters as well, they are affected by their respective traits. Once a Shadow Shatter skill is used, or all Shadows are destroyed, the Shadow Echo effect disappears and they will turn back to normal Shatter skills. They share the cooldown with normal Shatter skills.

Mind Wrack -> Mind Collapse – Your Shadows teleport to a targeted location, exploding, dealing damage to nearby opponents, and leaving behind a pulsing rift, dealing damage and applying cripple. Damage from the blast and duration of the rift depend on the number of Shadows shattered.Cry of Frustration -> Cry of Anguish – Your Shadows teleport to a targeted location, exploding, tormenting your opponents and leaving behind a cloud that pulses confusion. The number of stacks of torment and duration of the field depends on the number of Shadows shattered.Diversion -> Shadow Disruption – Your Shadows teleport to a targeted location, exploding, weakening foes and leaving behind a field that periodically dazes foes within it. Duration depends on the number of Shadows shattered.Distortion -> Shadow Infusion – Shatter your Shadows and infuse your allies in targeted area with their energy, giving them a dark aura that blocks attacks for a while. Whenever an attack is blocked, it applies a random boon. Once the aura expires, it grants protection. The duration of the aura depends on the number of Shadows shattered.

New weapon: Hammer

A close range weapon with power damage focused AoE attacks. Unlike greatsword for example, it focuses more on sustained damage rather than burst damage.

AA: Illusionary Swing – Swing your hammer, creating a magical wave that strikes nearby foes. / Illusionary Strike - Swing your hammer again, creating another wave / Illusionary Blow - Smash the ground with your hammer, sending a ground shattering energy to all directions that damages foes and applies vulnerability. (all 3 skills range 180, max 3 targets)Skill 2: Void pursuit – Teleport to your target and perform a strike with your hammer, dealing heavy damage to nearby foes and weakening them. Leave a clone at your original location. You can then use this skill again to teleport to your original position. (Void retreat – Teleport to your original position and gain swiftness.)Skill 3: Rift Opener – Strike the ground below you to open a pulsing rift from the Void, granting retaliation to nearby allies and damaging nearby foes. (the initial strike is a blast finisher, 4 pulses, radius 180)Skill 4: Phantasmal Crusher – Send forward a wave of illusionary fragments that cripples foes and create a phantasm that strikes your opponent with its hammer, knocking down nearby foes. (range 900, radius 180, max 5 targets for the wave, max 3 targets for Phantasm strike)Skill 5: Shadowfall – Use your hammer to summon portals from the Void above the targeted area. These portals bombard the ground below them with energy that blinds enemies and deals heavy damage. (range 600, radius 320)

New utility skills: Eruptions

Eruptions are new utilities unique to Voidcallers. Eruptions are rifts leading directly into the Void, affecting a large area around it. Unlike wells for example, they are not ground targeted, last longer and affect a slightly larger area. (their radius is around 320 and they should last for 4-6 seconds) Their effects are further strengthened by the presence of Shadows.

Healing: Soothing Void - Heal yourself and open a rift that heals nearby allies for a while. Allies nearby take less damage if activated during Shadow Echo.Utility 1: Gift from the Void - Open a rift that grants plenty of boons to nearby allies. Grants more boons if activated during Shadow Echo.
Utility 2: Void vortex - Open a rift that initially pulls nearby foes and then pulses cripple and vulnerability. Also pulses chill if activated during Shadow Echo.Utility 3: Tearing rift - Open a rift that damages nearby foes, and deals bonus damage for each boon on them. Nearby allies gain a damage bonus if activated during Shadow Echo.Utility 4: Tormenting quasar - Open a rift that grants bonus condition damage and duration to nearby allies and pulses torment to nearby foes. Also pulses confusion if activated during Shadow Echo.
Elite: Call of the Void - Open a rift that pulses stability to nearby allies and dazes nearby foes. Also pulses superspeed to nearby allies if activated during Shadow Echo.

Traits

Minor adept: Gain access to Shadow Echo and Eruption skills.

Adept 1: Gain increased ferocity when wielding a hammer. Gain reduced damage from foes farther away from you.Adept 2: Blind nearby foes when you use a Shadow Echo. Your Shadows’ first attack also blinds.Adept 3: Shadows’ first attack corrupts boons into conditions and deals more damage for each boon corrupted.

Minor Master: Gain swiftness when you use a Shatter skill. Gain superspeed when you use a Shadow shatter skill. Gain increased toughness when under one of these effects.

Master 1: Using an Eruption grants retaliation. Eruptions and retaliation last longer.Master 2: You periodically lose conditions while Shadow Echo is active.Master 3: Activating the Shadow Echo gives you and your summoned Shadows few stacks of might, and you emit an explosion that damages nearby foes and acts as a blast finisher.

Minor Grandmaster: While you are under the Shadow Echo effect, your boon duration and critical chance are increased.

Grandmaster 1: Shadow Shatters affect larger area and partially decrease the cooldown of your Shatter skills.Grandmaster 2: Using a Shadow Echo breaks stun and heals you.Grandmaster 3: Losing a Shadow before shattering it causes an explosion, the Shadow is resummoned and you gain fury. This can occur only twice during one Shadow Echo effect.

What if the new weapon was duel daggers? It could be mid/ long range where the daggers have an illusionary tether, liked duel chained scythes(Note someone already came up with this idea, happen to really like it). Other then that cool concept!

@Jojo.6590 said:What if the new weapon was duel daggers? It could be mid/ long range where the daggers have an illusionary tether, liked duel chained scythes(Note someone already came up with this idea, happen to really like it). Other then that cool concept!

Thanks for feedback! Well to be honest, I was playing with the idea of giving this spec dual daggers, but in the end I decided for hammer. First off, I wanted this spec to be AoE focused, with a power based melee or short range weapon. I wanted to give the mesmer a hammer, because it lacks a two-handed melee weapon. The main-hand melee weapon is already the sword (or for condi, the axe), so the new dagger would compete with it.I think the idea of dual daggers is very cool, but I also think that mesmer should get a new two-handed weapon first. We have only two options currently (both long range), while there are 3 main-hand and 5 off-hand weapons. And I think that hammer can be cool as well in mesmer's hands :)

@derd.6413 said:the feel i get is that you wanted to put necro themes on mesmer instead of creating a specialized mesmer (calling power from a dark realms is necro's thing, they have skills tied to the underworld and the realm of torment)

Yeah it may sound like that, but that's not a bad thing right? Anyway, this spec has nothing to do with necro's realms (Underworld, Realm of Torment). The point of Voidcaller is to blend the reality with a totally different realm, that just happens to be shadowy. And not everything shadowy must be instantly linked to necro. Just look at Holosmith. Its theme is light... which is also a theme of the whole guard profession.

@Avador.8934 said:

@derd.6413 said:the feel i get is that you wanted to put necro themes on mesmer instead of creating a specialized mesmer (calling power from a dark realms is necro's thing, they have skills tied to the underworld and the realm of torment)

Yeah it may sound like that, but that's not a bad thing right? Anyway, this spec has nothing to do with necro's realms (Underworld, Realm of Torment). The point of Voidcaller is to blend the reality with a totally different realm, that just happens to be shadowy. And not everything shadowy must be instantly linked to necro. Just look at Holosmith. Its theme is light... which is also a theme of the whole guard profession.

it kinda is but it's an easily solved issue. instead of taking something from necro and giving it to mesmer take something from necro, put a mesmery spin on it and then give it to the mesmer. holo is actually a good example, it uses light but it uses different light, guard uses holy light and purging fire while holo uses lasers, holograms and overheating (techno-light if you will).

instead of the void go for the mindscape, the mirror world or something (not the the chaos planes since that's part of the underworld)

@derd.6413 said:

it kinda is but it's an easily solved issue. instead of taking something from necro and giving it to mesmer take something from necro, put a mesmery spin on it and then give it to the mesmer. holo is actually a good example, it uses light but it uses different light, guard uses holy light and purging fire while holo uses lasers, holograms and overheating (techno-light if you will).

instead of the void go for the mindscape, the mirror world or something (not the the chaos planes since that's part of the underworld)

Well I can say that this can be explained in the same way. Necro's realms are domains of the death, pain and darkness, existing independently of the real world. The 'Void' may be described as a 'shadow' of the real world. It's a mirrored version of it, but slightly twisted and darkened.And if this explanation is not enough, then you can say that once, it was created by the influence of the Underworld, but it became separated from it, and necromancers lost all knowledge about it, including the ability to connect to it, since it's not a part of the Underworld anymore. As the connection of the Underworld faded, Lyssa took over the realm, and infused it with her own magic, to create a hybrid between the still present but fading dark magic, and her illusion magic. This influence of hers might be the reason why some mesmers found the ability to absorb its powers, becoming Voidcallers.It's just all about how would it be described in the lore =)

@Avador.8934 said:

Well I can say that this can be explained in the same way. Necro's realms are domains of the death, pain and darkness, existing independently of the real world. The 'Void' may be described as a 'shadow' of the real world. It's a
mirrored
version of it, but slightly twisted and darkened.

then instead of calling it a shadow of the world why not say it's a distorted reflection (as in a mirror reflection) of the world. since you know mirrors are known to be used by primarily by mesmers.

And if this explanation is not enough, then you can say that once, it was created by the influence of the Underworld, but it became separated from it, and necromancers lost all knowledge about it, including the ability to connect to it, since it's not a part of the Underworld anymore. As the connection of the Underworld faded, Lyssa took over the realm, and infused it with her own magic, to create a hybrid between the still present but fading dark magic, and her illusion magic. This influence of hers might be the reason why some mesmers found the ability to absorb its powers, becoming Voidcallers.

the backstory of the realm isn't the problem but it does perfectly show the issue. why take a piece of necro's "dark" and make it mesmer when mesmer already has so much "dark" to work with: a distorted reflection of reality, a place where our forgotten trauma's linger. but instead it's a shadow realm called the void which is generic dark, don't do generic dark do mesmer dark.

It's just all about how would it be described in the lore =)

basically my point

@derd.6413 said:

Well I can say that this can be explained in the same way. Necro's realms are domains of the death, pain and darkness, existing independently of the real world. The 'Void' may be described as a 'shadow' of the real world. It's a
mirrored
version of it, but slightly twisted and darkened.

then instead of calling it a shadow of the world why not say it's a distorted reflection (as in a mirror reflection) of the world. since you know mirrors are known to be used by primarily by mesmers.

If you think about it, your shadow on the ground is also a mirrored picture of you. And when it comes to these distorted mirrors you talk about, that is already covered by Mirage (hello Mirage mirror for example). And I don't want to rework this to make a 2nd Mirage, even if just thematically.

@derd.6413 said:

And if this explanation is not enough, then you can say that once, it was created by the influence of the Underworld, but it became separated from it, and necromancers lost all knowledge about it, including the ability to connect to it, since it's not a part of the Underworld anymore. As the connection of the Underworld faded, Lyssa took over the realm, and infused it with her own magic, to create a hybrid between the still present but fading dark magic, and her illusion magic. This influence of hers might be the reason why some mesmers found the ability to absorb its powers, becoming Voidcallers.

the backstory of the realm isn't the problem but it does perfectly show the issue. why take a piece of necro's "dark" and make it mesmer when mesmer already has so much "dark" to work with: a distorted reflection of reality, a place where our forgotten trauma's linger. but instead it's a shadow realm called the void which is generic dark, don't do generic dark do mesmer dark.

I used this only as an example. And if you find it generic, then fine. But I don't. It still feels mesmer-ish to me. And more unique. We just both have different opinions on how much unique it can be. I just don't see what is so wrong about using the shadow theme for mesmer. It is already used both for the necro and thief, and have you seen someone complain that they both share the 'shadow' theme? I did not. They both use it in a totally different way. And Voidcaller's design also works in a different way.

And that example about light... Guard using holy light vs Holosmith using techno light (+ Druid using astral light, also may be mentioned)... it's the same here... Necro using deadly/bloody shadows vs Voidcaller using illusionary/mirrored shadows.

First off, I like this idea. We could totally use a shadow/ void version of Kas in the story - or hunt down a rouge member of the collect that has essential info to the story related content. I dig the effort and detail you put into this.

• I like the idea of using a two handed weapon for close combat. The hammer theme fits well to shattering the void as well as being a power spec. Good damage, utility and sport. I can see a few builds with this a sw/sh, gs, staff, axe/x. Definitely like the possibility of being used in the mid line of a Zerg in WvW. The only thing I can pick out is that a hammer might be seen as more macho use and less duelist or finese, if that makes sense. I don't think it's bad, but some people may argue it goes against the intention of the class. But, at the rate things are going, all cloth wearing professions will be using the exact same weapons.

• I also agree that this shadow void realm is different from Necro as it is using a 'darker' version of the living realm whereas Necro use darkness from death, a realm that is not living. Mesmers already have a trait line 'Chaos' so it's entirely possible and more reasonable to associate dark chaos with Mesmers.

• But with similarities drawn between the two, I wouldn't mind if one of the void traits buffed Null field to allow more conditions to be converted into boons per sec. This having a direct 'null' effect on some of the sand shrouds cancer in WvW.

@TheCorno.2617 said:First off, I like this idea. We could totally use a shadow/ void version of Kas in the story - or hunt down a rouge member of the collect that has essential info to the story related content. I dig the effort and detail you put into this.

• I like the idea of using a two handed weapon for close combat. The hammer theme fits well to shattering the void as well as being a power spec. Good damage, utility and sport. I can see a few builds with this a sw/sh, gs, staff, axe/x. Definitely like the possibility of being used in the mid line of a Zerg in WvW. The only thing I can pick out is that a hammer might be seen as more macho use and less duelist or finese, if that makes sense. I don't think it's bad, but some people may argue it goes against the intention of the class. But, at the rate things are going, all cloth wearing professions will be using the exact same weapons.

• I also agree that this shadow void realm is different from Necro as it is using a 'darker' version of the living realm whereas Necro use darkness from death, a realm that is not living. Mesmers already have a trait line 'Chaos' so it's entirely possible and more reasonable to associate dark chaos with Mesmers.

• But with similarities drawn between the two, I wouldn't mind if one of the void traits buffed Null field to allow more conditions to be converted into boons per sec. This having a direct 'null' effect on some of the sand shrouds cancer in WvW.

Hey thanks for feedback! That's an interesting idea about the Null field. I agree that it would be a pretty great skill, especially against the Scourge, if buffed. However I don't think there should be a trait buffing exclusively the Null field, because then it would be kind of useless if you did not have the Null field equipped. Anyway Null field does not convert conditions into boons, but removes condis from allies and boons from enemies. And what may be buffed via trait, is this function, not the skill itself. I'm thinking about a trait like this, however it should have some restrictions to not be super op, since there are many other skills/traits also removing boons/conditions. So the only two ideas that came to my mind are these:

When you remove a condition from yourself or an ally when your Shadow Echo is active, remove one more (cd per ally: 1 sec).ORWhen you remove a boon from an enemy during the Shadow Echo effect, remove a condition from yourself and nearby allies (cd per ally: 1 sec).OR something similar...(The idea about this working only during Shadow Echo is not to make it too powerful and to make it thematically fit)

I love this idea! And I agree that there is nothing wrong with giving mesmer a more darker spec. I especially like the idea about the shadow echo, it gives mesmer both new shatter skills and a new illusion type at the same time, without getting rid of the original ones. Maybe only the utilities I think do not have to be all pulsing aoes, the fact that they are empowered by shadow echo is enough to make them somehow connected. But overall, I think this is a great idea for Anet to take inspiration from.

@Ruzin.2410 said:I love this idea! And I agree that there is nothing wrong with giving mesmer a more darker spec. I especially like the idea about the shadow echo, it gives mesmer both new shatter skills and a new illusion type at the same time, without getting rid of the original ones. Maybe only the utilities I think do not have to be all pulsing aoes, the fact that they are empowered by shadow echo is enough to make them somehow connected. But overall, I think this is a great idea for Anet to take inspiration from.Yeah to be honest when it comes to these Eruption utilities, I made them like this to fit the theme of AoE caster, and also give it a bit of support. But I get where you're coming from. I think they fit well, but maybe I'll take a look at them again. The Shadow Echo was the main part of this concept, glad you like it :)

@SparrowHawk.9481 said:This is the best suggestion I have heard. I love the idea of a darker 'mirror' world. I don't think the Mesmer plays enough with mirror magic, and based off of Balthazar's trickery, we know Lyssa uses mirror magic. It would be a fun spin to the story.Thanks :) Yeah I also think it would be cool if they ever decide to make story characters more influenced by elite specializations. That would give some characters a lot more depth, and potentially create a space for some interesting plots.

@Taltevus.3289 said:Oooh, this is giving me good vibes from the Tome of Magic in D&D 3.5.You. Don't. Know. How. Looooong. I've wanted the Mesmer to be dark and mysterious like the Shadow Caster from The ToM DnD 3.5I also always wanted to see more 'darker' mesmer, that's why I made this ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll admit I was against this idea intially. I do enjoy the possibility of Mesmers having a more dark feel to them. They always struck me as a trickster that looks to always be joking but will you leave you grasping for life if you let your guard down. A few gripes:

1. I can see why some feel this has roots in the Necromancer fantasy since the Necromancer dwells in all things dark. I agree to some extent; for now this name suffices but personally I suggest finding a new one.

2. The changed Shatter spells seem a bit too much. You’re packing a lot of changes into one Specialization. I suggest toning down your changes.

3. I love the idea of the hammer being used to shatter the reality of the Mesmer’s foes; however, a hammer hardly suits a Mesmer. They are all about finesse and being a fantastic duelist. Someone else suggested duel daggers and I highly support this.

I’ll leave you with some praise: I really, really enjoy the thought of a darker playstyle and I fully support it. I do indeed enjoy the hammer aspect of the design even if I’m not fond of the hammer. The changes to your Illusions is very cool, too. I think you have a great base concept here to inspire those creative juices of Anet!

I love the whole Void theme, thanks to Shadow priests in WoW.But Mesmer is all about illusions and mind games, while Void theme has vibe of ancient evil, parallel dimensions and something like Warp.If you want to add something more dark to Mesmer - just change Void theme to Nightmare/Horror/Madness theme. If core Mesmer tries to trick enemy mind - "Darl themed" Mesmer tries to drive target mad and unleash insanity.

Archived