New Elite Spec: Soul Reaver

Knighthonor.4061

Soul Reaver

Weapon: Great Axe

Class Mechanics:Demon Form- transform into a Margonites Demon like Lord Jadoth which converts Energy into a health pool like Necromancer forms but slowly depletes at a fixed rate. The More energy you had when activated determines the duration . The Demon Form has its own 1-6 skills only. The Demon Form Skills 1, 2 and 3 are unique skills based on main hand/offhand weapon you are using. Skills 4, 5, 6 change based on what legend you are currently using.

Legend: DhuumLegend Skill Types: Tethers

Tether skills: Tether skills have 3 aspects to them. 1(Passive), 2(Trigger), 3(Active). Soul Reaver Revenants tether a soul chain to the enemy draining life from their very existence.1(Passive): when you use a Tether skill on the target, the passive effect of the skill will take effect until the Trigger effect procs or if the Active effect is used before the trigger.

2)(trigger) Each skill has a unique trigger scenario that can proc a large effect once accomplished. For example: Dhuum Heal Skill is Soul Drain, which the tether passive will life steal from the targeted enemy, and has a trigger effect that once the threshold of a certain amount of life is stolen from the passive, it will cause the target's soul to explode, damaging nearby enemies and healing nearby allies. the Active part of the skill heals the Revenant instantly.

3)(Active) as explained above the Active aspect of the skills will cancel the tether, which removes both the passive, and the chance to trigger, but for an immediate effect.

Could be cool, though I feel like the soul thing might make necromancers a bit angsty. Though I love the Idea of a warlock esq character making their way into guild wars, I also doubt arena-net will ever make new weps as they seem content to just rehash old ones. Id like the revenant to get a caster legend, perhaps something like "Scepter, dagger" or "Dagger focus" for that real occultist feel?

@"starlinvf.1358" said:But wouldn't it be weird that a Rev could be using Dhumm to kill Dhumm? Its like that paradox of using "Dragon Slave" against the god you invoke to cast the spell. "Hey you, help me kill you".

Revenant channel through the Mist. So I don't believe the laws of time apply to who they can invoke.

But Dhuum is a Mistwalker, not a mist echo. Gods are kind of weird in GW canon, in that everything I've seen on the subject suggests they are unique beings in a system thats effectively a multi-verse. Time is also a weird concept for the mists, but it clearly doesn't ignore it.

Its on the basis of these 2 that I doing this creates a paradox in the canon lore, because it now implies the gods are multiplicative (meaning Balthazar can not be dead). Secondly, there was a also information back during HOT that most people took to mean Revenants actively bind and enslave these powers... and if True, Dhuum couldn't have escaped and still be usable as a Legend. While it can be reconciled, it requires so many solid rules to be laid down that the lore almost dead locks itself in the process. And without the Utopia canon to explain the time travel rules, and how it avoids all the paradox pitfalls, leveraging a God is a huge fact twister.

if the legend is dhuum why does the transformation turn you into a margonite? wouldn't it make more sense to turn into one of dhuums minions instead of abbadon's?

themes and profession mechanic is necro for rev. it lacks an identity of its own.

tethers don't sound fun to play against (you need to consider pvp when designing elite specs). i think they should either have a trigger or an activate, not both.

@derd.6413 said:if the legend is dhuum why does the transformation turn you into a margonite? wouldn't it make more sense to turn into one of dhuums minions instead of abbadon's?

themes and profession mechanic is necro for rev. it lacks an identity of its own.

tethers don't sound fun to play against (you need to consider pvp when designing elite specs). i think they should either have a trigger or an activate, not both.

Well Trigger design adds a compensation method to the design as a way to keep the passive nature that Upkeep skills have without being upkeep skills for balance purpose. Don't want the player to be able to tether non stop 24/7. But with a 2 hander Axe as their main weapon, we don't want Upkeep skills since the 2hander like Staff will likely have a large energy cost for itself. Upkeep skills don't work well for that. Also active part of the skill keeps the gameplay more interactive and fun. Gives the Soul Reaver a choice when to spring the secondary effect. It's a trade and gamble type of thing. Some times the trigger may be worth the wait, but other times the active is needed at the moment for a weaker effect.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@derd.6413 said:if the legend is dhuum why does the transformation turn you into a margonite? wouldn't it make more sense to turn into one of dhuums minions instead of abbadon's?

Well Trigger design adds a compensation method to the design as a way to keep the passive nature that Upkeep skills have without being upkeep skills for balance purpose. Don't want the player to be able to tether non stop 24/7. But with a 2 hander Axe as their main weapon, we don't want Upkeep skills since the 2hander like Staff will likely have a large energy cost for itself. Upkeep skills don't work well for that. Also active part of the skill keeps the gameplay more interactive and fun. Gives the Soul Reaver a choice when to spring the secondary effect. It's a trade and gamble type of thing. Some times the trigger may be worth the wait, but other times the active is needed at the moment for a weaker effect.

i'll refrase: i think they should either have a trigger or an activate that does damage (or whatever), not both. either make the trigger something the enemy has to do to cancel the skill as a way to counterplay (this also prevents the rev from letting the passive run indefinitely since it isn't an upkeep skill)

also you can make them upkeep skills like herald if you're worried about energy costs (ae make the energy cost less then your energy regen but allow the costs to stack above it) in this case you could make the active just a cancel skill.

both have their issues , but then again it's difficult to make a set of tether skills

Archived