Locked gem shop items

It could be they create "artificial scarcity" this way. Or it's the same premise as when your grocery store changes items around. They do this so you have to search for the item you want, and in the process you will more than likely buy something you really didn't need. It's an impulse buy. Marketing 101.

@holodoc.5748 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Artificial scarcity.

Has a couple of purposes. Gets people to buy immediately (when the item is available) instead of waiting to see if something better will come along and gets people excited when a wanted item finally arrives, instead of it being the same old thing you see every time you look at what’s available.

I don't know about the logic of marketing masterminds but here is mine, as a simple mortal consumer:
  • when the item is unavailable in the gem shop I can't spend money even when I am 100% sure that I want to
  • when the item is available it still doesn't guarantee that I am going to buy it because:a) there is a high chance that I'll miss it during the short opportunity window, for whatever reasonb) maybe I can't spend so much gems until that paycheck on Friday, but hey the item is available only until Thursday

Either way I don't like the system one bit, no matter how marketing people justify it. The money that the seller doesn't get is money lost and the seller gets an unsatisfied customer.

@ArenaNyetConsider adding a token of some kind to the gem shop, like the guaranteed mount unlock just for outfits, which will be giftable and allow unlocks of currently unavailable outfits. I honestly wouldn't care if it costs 1000 gems for a 700 gems outfit as long as I have the convenience of being able to gift stuff to someone who really likes it whenever I want to. That person gets what they really want to, you get more money. Win-win scenario.

They wouldn’t be doing it this way since the beginning of the gemstore if it wasn’t getting the results they want.

@holodoc.5748 said:

@artemis.6781 said:Because Anet cycles items in and out of the gem store. You just have to keep an eye on the gem store for the item you want.

I know what they are doing. What I don't know is why are they doing it. What do they gain by losing revenue from people which are not able to spend money on items they want because those are unavailable at that time?

This is pretty basic..... humans naturally value things that are difficult to get higher then things in abundance. Even if the practical value is low to nil, the mere fact its rare imparts a subjective value to it that is hard for humans to just ignore. If the item does have value outside of this, the rarity amplifies it drastically. Goods, services, products, entertainment, novelty, trends, status symbols, all intertwined to create the how we view the market.

The fact this is on the forefront of your mind means its doing exactly what its meant to..... you want the item more now, rather then simply passing it up. Enough to make a forum post complaining about it, spreading the idea that this is rare and valuable to even more people, which in turn makes it even more valuable knowing other people are trying to justify having it as well. You could walk away and not care... but you didn't.

uhmm, some ppl (like me) don't buy stuff because of rarity or such, if i like it i buy it but if i miss it ill miss it 20 over because of bad tactics like this.keep it in the store and i might buy something eventually, removing it from the store only puts me off from the game.

@sorudo.9054 said:uhmm, some ppl (like me) don't buy stuff because of rarity or such, if i like it i buy it but if i miss it ill miss it 20 over because of bad tactics like this.keep it in the store and i might buy something eventually, removing it from the store only puts me off from the game.

As humans, we're generally pretty poor at analysing ourselves individually. Likely you're a lot more affected by these tactics than you think, even if it's to a lesser degree than average.

These methods have been proven effective over and over again, in various markets, despite how counter-intuitive they seem. I dislike them, and a part of me can't grasp why they work, but they do work.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:uhmm, some ppl (like me) don't buy stuff because of rarity or such, if i like it i buy it but if i miss it ill miss it 20 over because of bad tactics like this.keep it in the store and i might buy something eventually, removing it from the store only puts me off from the game.

As humans, we're generally pretty poor at analysing ourselves individually. Likely you're a lot more affected by these tactics than you think, even if it's to a lesser degree than average.

These methods have been proven effective over and over again, in various markets, despite how counter-intuitive they seem. I dislike them, and a part of me can't grasp why they work, but they do work.

that's the point, it doesn't affect me at all.they can add a new outfit all they want and say "removed in 24 hours" and ill still have the gems 100%

@holodoc.5748 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Artificial scarcity.

Has a couple of purposes. Gets people to buy immediately (when the item is available) instead of waiting to see if something better will come along and gets people excited when a wanted item finally arrives, instead of it being the same old thing you see every time you look at what’s available.

I don't know about the logic of marketing masterminds but here is mine, as a simple mortal consumer:
  • when the item is unavailable in the gem shop I can't spend money even when I am 100% sure that I want to
  • when the item is available it still doesn't guarantee that I am going to buy it because:a) there is a high chance that I'll miss it during the short opportunity window, for whatever reasonb) maybe I can't spend so much gems until that paycheck on Friday, but hey the item is available only until Thursday

Either way I don't like the system one bit, no matter how marketing people justify it. The money that the seller doesn't get is money lost and the seller gets an unsatisfied customer.

@ArenaNyetConsider adding a token of some kind to the gem shop, like the guaranteed mount unlock just for outfits, which will be giftable and allow unlocks of currently unavailable outfits. I honestly wouldn't care if it costs 1000 gems for a 700 gems outfit as long as I have the convenience of being able to gift stuff to someone who really likes it whenever I want to. That person gets what they really want to, you get more money. Win-win scenario.

If cost is not an issue, there's this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Evon_Gnashblade_Decorative_Package which includes https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Universal_Outfit_Ticket (afraid I'm not in-game, so not sure if it's available at all times, or giftable).

Of course, you can always send a friend Gold to exchange for Gems, or purchase a Gem Card, and send the code.

Good luck.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:uhmm, some ppl (like me) don't buy stuff because of rarity or such, if i like it i buy it but if i miss it ill miss it 20 over because of bad tactics like this.keep it in the store and i might buy something eventually, removing it from the store only puts me off from the game.

that's the point, it doesn't affect me at all.they can add a new outfit all they want and say "removed in 24 hours" and ill still have the gems 100%

As stated before, it does affect you, you just don't notice it. There's a lot of psychology behind it, but if it seemingly doesn't affect you in Gw2, it will definitely affect you somewhere else.You may not be as prone to that kind of marketing as some other people, but saying that it doesn't affect you at all is very naive.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

As stated before, it does affect you, you just don't notice it. There's a lot of psychology behind it, but if it seemingly doesn't affect you in Gw2, it will definitely affect you somewhere else.You may not be as prone to that kind of marketing as some other people, but saying that it doesn't affect you at all is very naive.

you call it naive, i call it ahead.but whatever let's you sleep at night.

Archived