Dynamic profession

oOAvengerOo.6714

Hi everyone,I'm currently starting to play GW2 again and my main is a thief. I wanted to try something new but so far I don't find any profession which is as dynamic as thief. I like the fast pace gameplay of thief and I wonder if their is any other profession that has this fast pace gameplay ?

Thanks for the answer and have a good day playing GW2 :)

@oOAvengerOo.6714 said:Hi everyone,I currently starting to play GW2 again and my main is a thief. I wanted to try something new but so far I don't find any profession which is as dynamic as thief. I like the fast pace gameplay of thief and I wonder if their is any other profession that has this fast pace gameplay ?

You could try either revenant or mesmer. I would recommend you first try revenant since it's more fast paced. With mesmer, it's not exactly a beginner friendly profession so just make keybinds you're comfortable with and then try out the mesmer.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@oOAvengerOo.6714 said:Hi everyone,I currently starting to play GW2 again and my main is a thief. I wanted to try something new but so far I don't find any profession which is as dynamic as thief. I like the fast pace gameplay of thief and I wonder if their is any other profession that has this fast pace gameplay ?

You could try either revenant or mesmer. I would recommend you first try revenant since it's more fast paced. With mesmer, it's not exactly a beginner friendly profession so just make keybinds you're comfortable with and then try out the mesmer.

as if rev was a beginner friendly class, energy management is pretty hard imo, atleast in pvp situations

@RedShark.9548 said:

as if rev was a beginner friendly class, energy management is pretty hard imo, atleast in pvp situations

And mesmer is also pretty braindead now since you cant mess up shatters on phantasms and mirage is ultimate spam fest. Practicing F5 combos on chrono might take more time than other builds, but thats all.

I'd suggest sword rev, kit engi (condi tends to be more active than power) or non-staff ele (especially weaver or core).

@steki.1478 said:I'd suggest sword rev, kit engi (condi tends to be more active than power) or non-staff ele (especially weaver or core).

I was thinking about engi too because in case I found it not very dynamic there is many playstyle. And the kit can offer something new since I don't find other weapon set very enjoyable (didn't try hammer yet)I was even thinking about a medic engi even if it might not be optimal it could be fun.

As a 3 year thief main, the only profession I feel come close to the lightning fast decision making you need as a thief, with the damage to pull through and where every skill you press matters - medi guard, preferably with sword.

My complaint about the other classes were always that they felt too slow and clunky, but with instant meditations and shouts plus some very hefty innate defense, burst heals for you and your party in addition to (if buildt for it) massive condition and damage denial, on top of enough mobility to get where you need without breaking a sweat this is as fast paced as it gets when you find yourself behind enemy lines or want to duel a fellow zerker.

@oOAvengerOo.6714 said:I wanted to try something new but so far I don't find any profession which is as dynamic as thief. I like the fast pace gameplay of thief and I wonder if their is any other profession that has this fast pace gameplay ?

Holosmith. Engineer kits and customization will offer you flexibility with a class which is also heavy on combo fields. Eles can be a substitute, also.

I am also a thief main and imo the classes that come close to thief are Mesmer, Rev and Ele. I haven't tried Engi yet, but I hear it's also fast paced and rewarding.Out of those 3 professions I found Mesmer to be the easiest to play. Ele was the hardest (I only played S/D Weaver though).For me Rev was the most fun class out of these 3, at least in PvP and WvW (right after Thief ofc)

@RedShark.9548 said:

I was actually going to suggest revenant. And the energy mechanic is not nearly as hard to use as you might think. Scourge's energy mechanic is hard to use. That one can be an absolute nightmare to get working properly without constant death around you.

Revenant asks you to swap legends frequently. It's how you maintain energy in that profession. If you don't you'll harm your effectiveness. And don't think of it as a losing access to your skills. It's a short 10 second cool down. It's not at all a long wait. Plus you can swap early to use utility of the other legend if you need to. I do it on a condi build that works extremely well in fractals, dungeons and open world. And if you struggle with energy Herald let's you almost ignore it entirely while providing lots of boons.

I honestly don't see why people say revenant is hard to use. It's one of the easiest classes to play. Up there with reaper necromancer and warrior. And they're not frail either. With 2 healing skills and some potent defensive utility they can hold their own fairly well.

Where they lack is weapons and utility. They are short on utility skills and weapons. So they may stagnate fairly quick for you which has been a major struggle. They also have poor condi cleans which matters a lot in pvp. But that's not a problem with their ease of use but their overall lack of utility.

@Lily.1935 said:

I was actually going to suggest revenant. And the energy mechanic is not nearly as hard to use as you might think. Scourge's energy mechanic is hard to use. That one can be an absolute nightmare to get working properly without constant death around you.

Revenant asks you to swap legends frequently. It's how you maintain energy in that profession. If you don't you'll harm your effectiveness. And don't think of it as a losing access to your skills. It's a short 10 second cool down. It's not at all a long wait. Plus you can swap early to use utility of the other legend if you need to. I do it on a condi build that works extremely well in fractals, dungeons and open world. And if you struggle with energy Herald let's you almost ignore it entirely while providing lots of boons.

I honestly don't see why people say revenant is hard to use. It's one of the easiest classes to play. Up there with reaper necromancer and warrior. And they're not frail either. With 2 healing skills and some potent defensive utility they can hold their own fairly well.

Where they lack is weapons and utility. They are short on utility skills and weapons. So they may stagnate fairly quick for you which has been a major struggle. They also have poor condi cleans which matters a lot in pvp. But that's not a problem with their ease of use but their overall lack of utility.

have you ever played rev in pvp? revs that dont know what they are doing i smash easiliy and are easy to spot, good revs pretty much smash me without much of a hasslein pve you have basic rotatiins you do over and over again, in pvp you have to play according to your enemy, swapping legend at the wrong time often means death

@RedShark.9548 said:

have you ever played rev in pvp? revs that dont know what they are doing i smash easiliy and are easy to spot, good revs pretty much smash me without much of a hasslein pve you have basic rotatiins you do over and over again, in pvp you have to play according to your enemy, swapping legend at the wrong time often means death

I think the lack of condi cleans would ruin me as a revenant. Everything else would be fine. Legend swapping isn't a problem since I'd be able to stunbreak on swap and stunbreak again since almost all legends have a stunbreak. Except for Ventari I believe. So preventing CC shouldn't be too much of a problem. But considering how powerful Condi is and how potent boon strip is on things like scourge and spellbreaker that would be the primary issue I imagine. They aren't hard to play, or even bad. Its just the current meta is pushing them out.

@Lily.1935 said:

I think the lack of condi cleans would ruin me as a revenant. Everything else would be fine. Legend swapping isn't a problem since I'd be able to stunbreak on swap and stunbreak again since almost all legends have a stunbreak. Except for Ventari I believe. So preventing CC shouldn't be too much of a problem. But considering how powerful Condi is and how potent boon strip is on things like scourge and spellbreaker that would be the primary issue I imagine. They aren't hard to play, or even bad. Its just the current meta is pushing them out.

Sometimes you will need to save the legend swap as a stunbreak, so you will find yourself without energy and you will die. Sometimes you'll change the legend to get that energy, and the lack of available breakstun will also kill you. As a Rev you'll have two half heals (which barely provide heal at all if your foe knowns what you're doing), barely any condition cleanse and no access to stability at all. Any boon you have can be easily corrupted by a couple of classes in the game and negated7striped by half of the roster. So yeah, Rev is super easy to play: just reroll to Guardian and you'll be fine.

@Buran.3796 said:

Sometimes you will need to save the legend swap as a stunbreak, so you will find yourself without energy and you will die. Sometimes you'll change the legend to get that energy, and the lack of available breakstun will also kill you. As a Rev you'll have two half heals (which barely provide heal at all if your foe knowns what you're doing), barely any condition cleanse and no access to stability at all. Any boon you have can be easily corrupted by a couple of classes in the game and negated7striped by half of the roster. So yeah, Rev is super easy to play: just reroll to Guardian and you'll be fine.

I main a necromancer and have to take 3 stunbreaks. So the number of stunbreaks Revenant has on top of other utility is just fine. one you swap you are guaranteed to have enough energy to use your stunbreak.

@Buran.3796 said:Sometimes you will need to save the legend swap as a stunbreak, so you will find yourself without energy and you will die. Sometimes you'll change the legend to get that energy, and the lack of available breakstun will also kill you. As a Rev you'll have two half heals (which barely provide heal at all if your foe knowns what you're doing), barely any condition cleanse and no access to stability at all. Any boon you have can be easily corrupted by a couple of classes in the game and negated7striped by half of the roster. So yeah, Rev is super easy to play: just reroll to Guardian and you'll be fine.

I played Guardian before both expansions released and I just remember that this profession feel slow, both for attacks and for mobility. But maybe it has change and it deserve an other shot.One things that keep me from giving another try to Guardian is that is health pool is so low for a melee heavy armor specially with zerk stuff. But maybe I just need to play it again to see the tankyness of the profession even in zerk armor

@oOAvengerOo.6714 said:

@"Buran.3796" said:Sometimes you will need to save the legend swap as a stunbreak, so you will find yourself without energy and you will die. Sometimes you'll change the legend to get that energy, and the lack of available breakstun will also kill you. As a Rev you'll have two half heals (which barely provide heal at all if your foe knowns what you're doing), barely any condition cleanse and no access to stability at all. Any boon you have can be easily corrupted by a couple of classes in the game and negated7striped by half of the roster. So yeah, Rev is super easy to play: just reroll to Guardian and you'll be fine.

I played Guardian before both expansions released and I just remember that this profession feel slow, both for attacks and for mobility. But maybe it has change and it deserve an other shot.One things that keep me from giving another try to Guardian is that is health pool is so low for a melee heavy armor specially with zerk stuff. But maybe I just need to play it again to see the tankyness of the profession even in zerk armor

Guard is only sluggish if you play defensive weapons. All of its offensive weapons, sword, greatsword, focus, scepter, longbow, and now axe, are all designed to have gap closing options. This is on top of Medi Guards having Judge's Intervention, and support guards having Merciful Intervention, both of which are Teleports, "Retreat' being 75% swiftness uptime for Shout guards. And thats just Core Guardian. Dragon Hunters virtues increase overall combat mobility, and have are on short enough cool downs to be worth using often. And now Firebrand tomes can have near permanent swiftness if you're willing to sacrifice Courage between fights.

Core Guard might lack basic movement upgrades (like the base 25 movement speed)..... but its most common offensive config (Swd/Fo - GS Medi build), you have at least 3 skills that can move across gaps (and exploit out of range targetting to avoid combat), and the option to give up 1 utility slot for Retreat (and swap to something more useful before a real fight). And if you're only Core Guard, you can just use a cheap focus or shield with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Speed for Open world. I did this on my Reaper's Focus and just use trash mobs to max cap swiftness stacks. Find a cluster of 2-3 enemies after zoning to start, and then squirrel small clusters of trash mobs with a GS pull, swap to A/Fo weapon set, then Shourd 4 spin.... BOOM an extra 1-2 min of swiftness. Its surprising how few people think to carry a cheap weapon with an off-meta sigil for some no risk Quality of Life..... but then again, anything not damage stacking may as well not exist in the minds of 90% of the population.

As for this line "One things that keep me from giving another try to Guardian is that is health pool is so low for a melee heavy armor specially with zerk stuff. " ----- This statement can only come from someone who tried to play it as a Tank and Spank. Guardians have a long history of being the most consistently broken class when it comes to balance trade offs..... in the good way. It exemplifies everything the game does right with its build system; and it irks me to no end how this isn't being used as the base line model to fix a number of glaring issues with half the other core specs. It may have low base HP, but it more then makes up for that with endless utility, strong rebounding abilities, and defenses for days. All without giving up the ability to spec offensively for respectable damage. Its only been in the ultra Min/Max meta of Raids where it hasn't dominated in some way or some time; because its the one game mode that openly punishes versatility over deep specialization.

I actually rank Core Guard higher in overall surivability then either Warrior or Necro, because both of those classes base their sustain on committed action, and can be outlasted if their offense falters, and easily overwhelmed once exhausted. If the Guard gets overwhelmed, it can rebound twice and then disengage before exhausting its abilities. The only way you can really lose as a Guardian is only take all-offensive utility skills, and ignore the fact that you have blind on your 2 strongest offensive weapons, AND blind on Justice, that you can spam on anything smaller then a boss if you take Radiance. If you're a Medi Guard, you're already taking Valor, which contains traits that add decent self-healing to Meditation skills, and an extra condi clear on heal. If you're not investing in burning, theres no compelling reason to take Radiance. In fact, before HOT, I was running mostly Zeal/Honor/Valor traits for a MediShout Guard, and never bothered with active justice. After the trait rework I went Zeal/Valor/DH and dropped shouts for Traps. For the majority of that my power gear set is all zerks except for Soldiers accessories, which I took to pad a little HP for WvW. Even with all the changes to traits that limited symbol trait stacking- of the Core Builds, its still by far the top contender for accessible performance and high surviability. It felt like it was cheating with how reactive you could play it.

Archived