Double Dagger Legend - [Suggestion]

Ealandur.1876

Some Things

Since I unfortunately did not play GW1, I do not know which Character would fit this Legend, so for the sake of a temporally label I'll call the Legend Frosty.

The Elite Specialization is focused around Frost Aura, because this skill is Cohesion-Wise, Gameplay-Wise and Playstyle-Wise extremely suited to Every 4 Core Legends, it has a Perfect Synergy with our 4 Core Legends.

F - Abilities

[F2 Skill] (Energy Cost: 15) (Cd: 10s)[Lord of Winter] Grants Frost Aura [Duration: 3s].[F3 Skill] (Energy Cost: 20) (Cd: 10s)[Frozone] Coat the target area in ice, chilling foes that enter it [Range: 900] [Combo Field: Ice] [Duration: 4s] [Radius: 240] [Chill: 2s] [interval: 2s].

Daggers Weapon Skills:

• [Dagger Skill 1][Cold Slice/Slash/Strike] Chain of attacks [3], the Third attack Inflicts Chill [1s]

• [Dagger Skill 2] (Energy Cost: 5) (Cd: 5s)[Cold Leap] Leap at your foe and strike them with your dagger [Combo Finisher: Leap] [Range: 600] [Chill: 1s].

• [Dagger Skill 3] (Energy Cost: 5) (Cd: 8s)[Frost Strike] Strike your target and remove Boons, if you have Frost Aura Steal Boons Instead [boons Removed: 2].

• [Dagger Skill 4] (Energy Cost: 10) (Cd: 10s)[ice Shards] Fire multiple projectiles at your enemy, with a chance to inflict Chill [Chill Duration: 1s] [Chance on Hit: 20%] [Number of Hits: 12] [Range: 600].

• [Dagger Skill 5] (Energy Cost: 15) (Cd: 10s)[Mist Walk] Shadow Step to a target location and Blind nearby foes [Range: 400] [blind duration: 2s] [Combo finisher: Leap].

Utilities Skills

• [skill 6] (Energy Cost: 5) (Cd: 30s)[Embrace the Cold] Heal yourself. Heal more for each enemy inflicted with Chill around you [Radius: 240] {Same Numbers as the Mallyx Heal}.

• [skill 7] (Energy Cost: 20) (Cd: 15s)[Cold Mist] Break Stun and become a mobile Smoke Field that blinds nearby foes. [blind duration: 2s] [Combo Field: Smoke] [Number of Targets: 5] [Radius: 120] [Field Duration: 3s].

• [skill 8] (Upkeep Skill) (Initial Energy Cost: 10) (Upkeep Cost: 8)[blizzard] Target area pulses, damaging foes and removing Boons, if you have Frost Aura Steal Boons Instead [boons Removed: 1] [Range: 900] [Radius 240] [Number of Targets: 5]. {Similar to Necro's "Well of Corruption", but weaker}

• [skill 9] (Energy Cost: 20) (Cd: 15s)[ice Wall] Create a Wall of Ice that foes cannot Cross and that Absorbs Projectiles [Range: 900] [Number of Targets: 5] [Duration: 5s], if you have Frost Aura the Projectiles are Reflected instead.

• [skill 0] (Energy Cost: 30) (Cd: 20)[Absolute Zero] Freeze all enemies around you [Radius 240] [stun 2s] [Number of Targets: 5] and Remove Boons from them, if you have Frost Aura Steal Boons Instead [boons Removed: 2].

Minor Traits:

• [Minor Grandmaster][Mistwalker] You move 25% faster. The duration of incoming movement-impairing conditions is reduced by 25%.

• [Minor Master][Cold Heart] Gain 1 stack of "Heart of Ice" each time you are struck [icd: 1s], at 10 stacks you gain Frost Aura [Duration 2s].

• [Minor Adept][bringer of Winter] Gain Access to Daggers, a New Legend and New F2 and F3 Abilities.

Major Traits

Grandmaster

• [Cold-Blooded] Siphon Life from a foe while under the effect of Frost Aura [Life Siphon: 300] [Cd: 1s].

• [Frost Armor] When you gain Frost Aura, you and Nearby Allies Gain Barrier [500].

• [ice Age] Your Skills have reduced Energy Cost while under the effect of Frost Aura [Energy Cost reduction: 3].

Master

• [Cold Blades]Gain bonuses for each dagger you equip:

• Main hand—When you Chill a Foe, you also remove a Boon [interval: 5s]. While you have Frost Aura Steal a Boon instead.
    • Off Hand— The Range of your Off-Hand Dagger Skills is increased [Range Increase: 200]. While you have Frost Aura the Range is even more increased [Range Increase 100].
  • [Frost Burn] When you chill a foe, you also inflict Burn [Duration: 2s] [Cd: 1s].

• [soothing Ice] Clear a conditions while under the effect of Frost Aura [interval: 2s].

Adept

• [ice Cleats] When you gain Frost Aura, you gain Superspeed [2s].

• [icebreaker] When you gain Frost Aura, nearby allies gain it also [Duration: 2s] [Radius: 240].

• [Weakness to Cold] When you Chill a foe, you also inflict Weakness [Duration: 3s] [Cd: 5s].

Last Notes

Even if this most likely will not get implemented in the future, I'm quite happy with the thought process that took to make and balance this, it was really a Blast! =)

Interesting idea. I would love daggers, personally. I played Guild Wars 1 much more casually so I don't know too much about it, but maybe Svanir would fit for the legend? Daggers could kinda be like claws.Hard for me to critique it, but I like the concept you have. One thing I could say is that perhaps the utility skills are too balanced around having longer cooldowns? If all but the upkeep skills have cooldowns, it would make it play less like a revenant in my personal opinion.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:Interesting idea. I would love daggers, personally. I played Guild Wars 1 much more casually so I don't know too much about it, but maybe Svanir would fit for the legend? Daggers could kinda be like claws.Hard for me to critique it, but I like the concept you have. One thing I could say is that perhaps the utility skills are too balanced around having longer cooldowns? If all but the upkeep skills have cooldowns, it would make it play less like a revenant in my personal opinion.

That would be cool, have our F2 - 5 skills be based around his beast form, maybe have the ult transform us into him for a set duration or as long as we take damage kind of like the old ursan build in guild wars 1? But instead of just raw strength we get this kind of icebrood jormag vibe to it, I could dig it and dual daggers would be neat to give it a kind of quicker feel similar to sword/sword.

I take issue with how this is mostly a collection of relatively strong skills from other classes, and is only held together by swapping out Chill for other effects. The reason it plays well with other Legends is because its just strong as stand alone, meaning anything its paired with is automatically just stacking on top of it.

While the archetype is something that can be worked with, I think we need to find a better theme to shape the skills around. At least that way you can build in some thematic limitation so its not blatantly better in every department. At first I was thinking Frostmaw, making it the first beast legend that can give a good spin on a concept. With more digging, theres probably a better example from Eye of the North.

actually.... what do we know about notable Jotuns?

@"starlinvf.1358" said:I take issue with how this is mostly a collection of relatively strong skills from other classes, and is only held together by swapping out Chill for other effects. The reason it plays well with other Legends is because its just strong as stand alone, meaning anything its paired with is automatically just stacking on top of it.

While the archetype is something that can be worked with, I think we need to find a better theme to shape the skills around. At least that way you can build in some thematic limitation so its not blatantly better in every department. At first I was thinking Frostmaw, making it the first beast legend that can give a good spin on a concept. With more digging, theres probably a better example from Eye of the North.

The norn storyline where you choose the "Defeat our ancient foes" speaks of the first and most powerful of the jotuun kings, and how their magic rivaled all other beings on tyria and how they were masters of their time. They survived the dragons rising the first time and only when the gods took their magic did the jotuun fall, there is also a jotuun in hoelbrak who talks about it. So we could get the "King" as a legend and have him give a greatsword or something, I do think though dual daggers with svanir as the legend and us using primal ferocity of a monster to rip into people as something fun to think about.

Hell we could go the complete opposite side and get King adlebern or Prince rurik and get our own smexy fire sword and fire based abilities similar to those we have in the balthazar fight if they wanted too. Both are HUGE lore figures and both could stand out as legends, though I like the idea of being something less human related as we do have an over abundance of human characters as legends for the rev.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:I take issue with how this is mostly a collection of relatively strong skills from other classes, and is only held together by swapping out Chill for other effects. The reason it plays well with other Legends is because its just strong as stand alone, meaning anything its paired with is automatically just stacking on top of it.

As I said in another post once before, I did not choose Frost Aura just because it was strong, no, that would be just a lazy move if nothing else...No, I chose it for the most important reason you can chose something for an Elite specialization, and that is how well it works on a Core Class, without that an elite specialization just falls flat and I did not want another Kalla 2.0.

The reasons why Frost aura goes well with our other is because Every Single Thing about it touches upon an aspect of our 4 Core Legends:

• [Jallis:] -10% Damage with Frost Aura, which is a trait of a "Tanky" Character.
  • [Mallyx:] Abyssal Chill.
  • [Ventari:] His "Philosophy of Peace", which prevents your Foes from fighting (Chill) also he is a Centaur which can outrun Humans [Joke].
  • [shiro:] Makes it so that it becomes easier to chase enemies as well as kiting them.

Revenant's Elite Specialization is a bit different to balance, because it does not rely on just making more powerful things and it will all fit together happily, Revenant does not have that privilege, It needs to work with all 4 main game-plays, and those are [Tank/Healer/Mobile Damage Dealer/Condi Damage Dealer], without having a Synergy with all those 4, the Elite Specialization will simply fail in it's purpose.

TL;DR: Keep just this in mind, an Elite Specialization should always be the expansion of our Core Class, which means to not exclude Any part of it, and that is one reason why Kalla failed so hard, it just was a "Power-up" that did not consider it's Core at all.

Side Note: Now I don't mind getting something else than Dagger/Dagger for the next Elite, I actually Really welcome Greatsword, but I just really hope It will have some thought behind the Legend, in the end a Kalla 2.0 is what I fear the most.

Last Notes: If some of you would like me to do a post with a Greatsword Legend in mind, just ask, I'd be to happy Build something. :)

I hope the best for the Rev Community, that is where I stand.

My gripe was about all the other skills being copies some of the better dagger skills of other classes......Frost Aura was the least of my concerns in that response.

600 Range leap, Boon Rip, 600 range fan (basically the Spell Breaker Bladestrom with Chill instead of reflect), a shadow step and leap finisher. And why is that last one a blind instead of a chill when its feels like its a pursuit skill? The Heal skill is a necro shout, I can' tell if cold mist is trying to be mist form or plague form, self admitted well of corruption, a wall skill, and literally Reaper Elite.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like you're trying to port over Spell Breaker without the 2 skills that would make the comparison obvious. Nothing about boon strip has a natural link to Chill as a condition.... and since you don't have a Legend to base the theme on, I can only assume SB-like was the intent. I'm not inclined to go along with it as is, because its appears to be a skill set built around a cloning a meta. And considering thats what Scourge and Spell Breaker are (the hard counter to an entire meta), I can't help but see this as a bad idea on face value.

This is basically a "lets make it meta" approach to class design. And thats what worries me about this. Its like saying "Kalla has synergy with the other legends, because Alacrity".

Ah, now I understand your concerns.

The Double Dagger was indeed inspired by the SB, true, but I had more the famous phrase "Cold Dagger" or "Cold as a Dagger" in mind, which was my real reason.The Chill is going to the direction of Boon removal because in real life it is exactly what it would do, it takes your strengths when you are confronted with it.A famous example would be people climbing the Everest and loosing all their strength and sometimes even their lifes.Also, almost all of the traits are Inspired with real-life things.

The heal is not like the necro's at all, it does no damage and puts no condition on foes around you, It just works as I said, you heal more for each foe inflicted with chill around you, it's extremely similar to Mallyx's heal, but instead of an "Inward" bonus it is an "Outward" one.Cold mist is inspired by Berserker's Torch 5 Skill and Thiefs Pistol 5, which was in the reasoning of a heavy armored assassin, nothing to do with Necro.And the Reaper elite stole it From Shiro either way, so Rev was the first.

My reasoning was to make this Elite more PvP and WvW focused, strong yet not OP.But now as you have written your text, I can see and understand your reasoning behind these words and your concerns.

I hope that I have, with this text, vanished your concerns.

Archived