Staff Auto - change to condi?

jBomb.1637

First off a disclaimer that I'm not seeking a buff, just a proposal for a secondary condi weapon to scepter following discussion about MH dagger. What if the staff Auto was changed to a 3 attack chain condi applying attack?This would mean players can choose between 2 good condi weapons. I don't know who uses staff for the power based auto anyway? (Correct me if I'm wrong)Let me know thoughts below

To be honest i dont know about changing it to condition but the main thing i want to point out here that ive wanted for a long time in this game wasRanged auto attack chains on some weapons

• necro axe
  • staff autos across the all professions
  • rev hammer
  • scepters on all professionsEdit ^ I suppose i mean scepter specifically referring to guardian here
  • Maybe some shortbows too but not long bows

I really hope at least one of the next x pack elite spec weapons has this

@jBomb.1637 said:First off a disclaimer that I'm not seeking a buff, just a proposal for a secondary condi weapon to scepter following discussion about MH dagger. What if the staff Auto was changed to a 3 attack chain condi applying attack?This would mean players can choose between 2 good condi weapons. I don't know who uses staff for the power based auto anyway? (Correct me if I'm wrong)Let me know thoughts below

Staff is not really used for auto-attacking that much I guess. It's mostly utilized for laying down the marks which generate life force and apply some condis anyway. While I don't entirely disagree with adding a small amount of condi application and reducing power proportionally - (that seems to be logical) I also think that the AA isn't so important on staff.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

@jBomb.1637 said:First off a disclaimer that I'm not seeking a buff, just a proposal for a secondary condi weapon to scepter following discussion about MH dagger. What if the staff Auto was changed to a 3 attack chain condi applying attack?This would mean players can choose between 2 good condi weapons. I don't know who uses staff for the power based auto anyway? (Correct me if I'm wrong)Let me know thoughts below

Staff is not really used for auto-attacking that much I guess. It's mostly utilized for laying down the marks which generate life force and apply some condis anyway. While I don't entirely disagree with adding a small amount of condi application and reducing power proportionally - (that seems to be logical) I also think that the AA isn't so important on staff.

Also Staff #4 is a excellent anti-condi panic button.

Yeah I know the staff auto isn't really used, that's part of the reason why I proposed the condition application on skill 1, so staff can be used when marks are on CD. It'd make for more interesting play and weapon selection as Condi nec imoI appreciate the responses though

I don't understand why, as a class that has access to one of THE premiere ranged condi weapons in the game, I would want to see staff changed into a second one. Condi weapon selection as a necro is far from lacking. Still, I agree staff is missing something

It's been discussed at length, but a revisit is fine; staff is just boring, but I don't think changing it to focus on condi is the right solution to that. For what staff does, it does pretty well. I just doesn't do it with lots of flash or thinking. Almost all the marks are "use off CD" style and the auto is as plain as it can be. If Anet were to mod auto to some kind of chain effect, I think that would satisfy most.

Staff doesn't really need work, as it's more of a utility weapon than anything else. And has been doing great as one ever since launch.

Staff auto is used, but primarly for the life force generation rather than damage. Under right circumstances, staff auto is one of the best LF generators in game.

I guess throwing a bone and adding some bleeding to auto just for PvE wouldn't hurt, but it's kinda like adding more damage to Shield Bash on warrior. Sure it's neat, but does it make sense?

Some weapons are just not designed to be dps powerhouses. Staff is one of them.

Given that its mostly there for life force generation, I'd prefer some kind of extra bonus life force per condition on foes hit.Or just make it so the skill is identical to Ele staff Fireball (mainly so i can hit those damn 3rd floor AC's for once).

Staff as a whole is strange. It feels awkward as it has a lot of effects with no real connection, but works as it fills a lot of roles.

The Auto is just bad, i mean, Autos are never meant to be awesome, they fill a purpose and prevent those times where there is nothing better to cast. But it feels so bad watching a slow sloppy projectile with little damage and effects crawling its way to an enemy just to get sidestepped.. Given the nature of the staff skills (fire and forget or use at very specific times) the auto attack should be different.. Maybe a ground target skill like engie grenades, a interesting chain (like multi projectiles, a short burst of projectiles or a homing projectile) or a bouncing projectile.. Really anything would feel better here

I find staff 2-5 to be quite useful as an AoE bomb on junk mobs or in wvw.

Staff 1 is decent against stacked junk mobs since the other ranged weapons are all single-target. With bigger groups of junk mobs, it might be on par with dagger. Other than a few fractals and the seldom done dungeons, there aren't a ton of end-game opportunities to make it really shine, though.

@"Brujeria.7536" said:Yes i know xD but thats really not what im aiming for, such skills should be toned down by A LOT in my opinion.

No chance they will be, in fact they will get MUCH worse. Anet wont ever tone down the mindless "1" spam because, the player base needs it. Since the release and thanks to Anet the player base has gotten SO bad in terms of actual skill level because most builds and classes dont need skill to be played and win with. Its Build > Skill. Nothing will change that.

Archived