Where does one use "Shattered Aegis" in the zeal line?

GDchiaScrub.3241

It partners very well with a mace/support firebrand, turning you into a healing, quickness granting, block sharing porcupine of death. It also scales amazingly with party members, since the aoe procs from allies you gave aegis to as well. There are also advantages to having your defense (aegis) and offense combine into the same move, allowing for a very tanky offensive build.

@Rhyse.8179 said:It partners very well with a mace/support firebrand, turning you into a healing, quickness granting, block sharing porcupine of death. It also scales amazingly with party members, since the aoe procs from allies you gave aegis to as well. There are also advantages to having your defense (aegis) and offense combine into the same move, allowing for a very tanky offensive build.

Don't get me wrong, in theory it seems to work for Firebrand. For sustain the Zeal line of course gives up a lot of buffs you might get from Virtues or Honor or even Valor. Furthermore, Firebrand seems to scale better in damage from burning as opposed to pure power (which the trait is power damage). Although you don't need a lot of condi damage to see big burning ticks, as I have used about 600-800 + w.e. might stacks. So running full retard cele firebrand with zeal+radiance does a lot of damage despite less efficient usage of stats (at least as I have observed in WvW). It might be the trait line itself is lackluster in WvW however. Since if I used Zeal + a sustainy trait line + firebrand I'd see a significant loss of damage. Whereas radiance + a sustainy trait line + firebrand there is far more damage (mainly from book 1 renewing on a kill).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Communal_Defenses + https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattered_Aegis + a large enough group of people = some very big damage spikes in certain World boss fights. I wish I got a screen shot of this during the Teq fight when I accidentally stumbled onto this..... at least 40 damage numbers popped up when my aegis blocked that ability he does that ticks poison during the Burn phase. I should try that again later on, and see if it still works. (the patch history indicates "infinite targets" was a bug.)

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:Furthermore, Firebrand seems to scale better in damage from burning as opposed to pure power (which the trait is power damage).

Actually I use it with pure power (half commanders, half valkyrie), Radiance/Zeal/FB. It's an absolute murder machine. Mystic Rebuke itself crits for about 5k, and with retal up it's a 100% crit chance. And it can proc from up to 5 allies at once. And you can spam aegis with the heal mantra, or mace/shield skills. And that's not counting the quickness you grant to your group as well. Or your actual weapon damage. Or the damage prevented by all the blocks you are giving out. Granted, it's pretty average if you solo, but If you run with friends it's absolutely beastly. And you can swap to sword or GS for mobility by only changing 1 or 2 traits (right hand strength and zealous blade). Really, considering how OP Radiance is and how much quickness FB has access to, I can't find a reason to spec condi on it at all.

@Rhyse.8179 said:

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:Furthermore, Firebrand seems to scale better in damage from burning as opposed to pure power (which the trait is power damage).

Actually I use it with pure power (half commanders, half valkyrie), Radiance/Zeal/FB. It's an absolute murder machine. Mystic Rebuke itself crits for about 5k, and with retal up it's a 100% crit chance. And it can proc from up to 5 allies at once. And you can spam aegis with the heal mantra, or mace/shield skills. And that's not counting the quickness you grant to your group as well. Or your actual weapon damage. Or the damage prevented by all the blocks you are giving out. Granted, it's pretty average if you solo, but If you run with friends it's absolutely beastly. And you can swap to sword or GS for mobility by only changing 1 or 2 traits (right hand strength and zealous blade). Really, considering how OP Radiance is and how much quickness FB has access to, I can't find a reason to spec condi on it at all.

More for blobs. If I do run Shatter Aegis that's 5-25 hits of retal per aegis because of 25v25+. Where as radiance/sustain traitline/fb will be less retal hits for 6-12k burn ticks (usually good for finishing downs). Doing radiance/zeal/fb as you described still hits pretty hard even on full cele, but I lose a lot of sustain of course in the bigger fights.

@starlinvf.1358 said:I just had a thought....... I wonder if guardians can still chain this by bouncing aegis triggers with these 2 skills.

Its capped at 5 now.

Got canned about the same time infinite minion reaper got canned. Those two things together were breaking encounters that had pulsing aoe.

Shattered aegis is a good burst skill if you have allies and a better than nothing skill if things aren't sitting in your symbol at all.

Archived