The Hell that is the 64-Bit Mac Client

For those who have already tortured themselves with the demon known as the 64-bit mac client, it is likely that you already of the dire state it is in.For those who know nothing about the plight of the Mac users, allow me to bring into your view the hellish experiences we must forego. . .

Open World PvEYou log onto Guild Wars 2 with the innocent thought of open world PvE. Turns out, that first loading screen will take about 1-3 minutes depending on what area you are in. Don't even think you'll be doing anything in the Heart of Thorn maps: The enemies and allies don't render even after standing in the same spot for minutes at a time. Meta events are out of the question too; you'll be lucky if you don't crash in the middle of one. Okay, so maybe we'll talk a walk through Ascalon, or maybe get some world completion done. Have fun with that, I wonder how long it will take for you to grow bored of the same thing over and over with lagspikes so bad that once you stop playing you are surprised to see yourself walking without lag in real life.

FractalsCongratulations, you have made it past the 5 minute loading screen for Lion's Arch (which you are also viewing in the lowest graphics settings). It's time for some fractals in your eyes, but let yourself not be fooled, for this is the mac client! Join any group, casual, hardcore, necromancers only: It doesn't matter, you won't make it past the loading screen without being kicked. If you are perhaps gaining the favor of God, you can load into a fractal without being kicked. BUT, beware, for the experience is sure to be a laggy one. In the time it would have taken you to get into a successful run, another individual using a FUNCTIONING client could have done it two times over.

PvP/WvWMaybe PvE isn't your cup of tea. Perhaps it is PvP that keeps you going in Guilds Wars 2. Well, worry not for it is the worst offender of them all. Loading into the Edge of the Mists is just as bad, if not worse, than Lions' Arch and loading into a PvP match is an impossibility. You will NEVER load into a map fast enough to not get dishonor. By the time you do load in, your team has already lost the fight at mid and are flaming you. Some of them may already be AFKing since it appears that you will not load into the match. So PvP matches aren't going to work, how about we play in the free-for-all arena in the Edge of the Mists? Well, there is one problem that I probably should have mentioned: How are you going to fight something that is invisible? Yes, it is true. Almost NOBODY will load into the map for both PvP and WvW. Not in the arena, not in instanced maps, nowhere. In the event that somebody does load in, you better pray that they cannot stealth at all, for they will take up to three minutes to load back in. Or maybe they just won't load in at all!

So what is there left to do in the game? Nothing for me. All I do is collect my daily reward while slowly leveling any alts I have with tomes I occasionally get.The best part is, this is all taking place during the Path of Fire launch.

*Note: This whole post is to detail all of my horrible experiences with the 64-bit mac client ever since the 32-bit one was abandoned. I'm sure there are other people who can relate to the stories I've spoken about here.

Indeed the struggle of the Mac 64 bit. However stick with the 32 client until maybe another year. Or until arenanet actually says it's in beta. I do know how you feel. It's garbage. Mac 32 already has a horrible trading Post have to close it several times when buying mats. But it's whatever. I just deal with it. But 64 bit I understand. U load up. All you see is yourself and no walls just the ground. running into not loaded things that you can't see. However trading Post is faster then the other but everything else just stick to the old client. Whoever the devs are need to really work on it. If they think it's acceptable then they really don't know how the Mac is coded. The 32 isn't the best but it doesn't take 5 minutes to wait for the map to pop up.

@blambidy.3216 said:Indeed the struggle of the Mac 64 bit. However stick with the 32 client until maybe another year. Or until arenanet actually says it's in beta. I do know how you feel. It's garbage. Mac 32 already has a horrible trading Post have to close it several times when buying mats. But it's whatever. I just deal with it. But 64 bit I understand. U load up. All you see is yourself and no walls just the ground. running into not loaded things that you can't see. However trading Post is faster then the other but everything else just stick to the old client. Whoever the devs are need to really work on it. If they think it's acceptable then they really don't know how the Mac is coded. The 32 isn't the best but it doesn't take 5 minutes to wait for the map to pop up.

@blambidy.3216 said:Wait 32 bit abandoned? IDK. I never deleted it and still use it.

Yes, it was stated here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/666/feedback-guild-wars-2-mac-64-bit-client/p3by Jon Olson that, "We cannot distribute the 32-bit client anymore. Sometimes these things don't happen for technical reasons."I too already have the 32-bit client but I cannot for whatever reason actually play Guild Wars 2. If I try to play the game it fails to display anything (it's always at a black screen) but everything actually loads; I can even take a picture and it shows that everything has loaded in.

@blambidy.3216 said:Hmmmm did you change the setting to full performance?

No I'd never even try that on mac XD

@blambidy.3216 said:Sometimes mines does a black screen but leave the map stuff and then it pops up with a loading sign then I'm there. Do u close it immediately? Or do you wait?

I always wait five minutes before I have to shut down my mac.(I play in full screen, so not being able to see anything makes it impossible to logout ;-;)

Well change the setting to full performance and on Mac if it does that. Hit I think command z at the same time to close it. Then retry to atleast get on the map. Then change the performance where you set the option to best. To see if that works. Then change graphics setting on game till you like before I get horrible loading but enough where it's right.

Why anyone runs the mac client is beyond me. It's basically a windows emulator and is extremely taxing and will never run well, or at least as good as the windows version. Never. Many mac games out there are using this widows emulator as a mac client type of thing. Stop it.

Create a partition and install widows on that and run GW2 natively. Not only that, you can run just about any game that way as most games out there are windows only. I've been doing that for maybe 7 years or so. Did it on my 10 year old laptop and when I upgraded to my new Mac. On my old laptop, my settings were medium and with my new desktop map, they are mostly high settings.

@TheSlothArmada.6709 said:For those who have already tortured themselves with the demon known as the 64-bit mac client, it is likely that you already of the dire state it is in.For those who know nothing about the plight of the Mac users, allow me to bring into your view the hellish experiences we must forego. . .

Open World PvEYou log onto Guild Wars 2 with the innocent thought of open world PvE. Turns out, that first loading screen will take about 1-3 minutes depending on what area you are in. Don't even think you'll be doing anything in the Heart of Thorn maps: The enemies and allies don't render even after standing in the same spot for minutes at a time. Meta events are out of the question too; you'll be lucky if you don't crash in the middle of one. Okay, so maybe we'll talk a walk through Ascalon, or maybe get some world completion done. Have fun with that, I wonder how long it will take for you to grow bored of the same thing over and over with lagspikes so bad that once you stop playing you are surprised to see yourself walking without lag in real life.

FractalsCongratulations, you have made it past the 5 minute loading screen for Lion's Arch (which you are also viewing in the lowest graphics settings). It's time for some fractals in your eyes, but let yourself not be fooled, for this is the mac client! Join any group, casual, hardcore, necromancers only: It doesn't matter, you won't make it past the loading screen without being kicked. If you are perhaps gaining the favor of God, you can load into a fractal without being kicked. BUT, beware, for the experience is sure to be a laggy one. In the time it would have taken you to get into a successful run, another individual using a FUNCTIONING client could have done it two times over.

PvP/WvWMaybe PvE isn't your cup of tea. Perhaps it is PvP that keeps you going in Guilds Wars 2. Well, worry not for it is the worst offender of them all. Loading into the Edge of the Mists is just as bad, if not worse, than Lions' Arch and loading into a PvP match is an impossibility. You will NEVER load into a map fast enough to not get dishonor. By the time you do load in, your team has already lost the fight at mid and are flaming you. Some of them may already be AFKing since it appears that you will not load into the match. So PvP matches aren't going to work, how about we play in the free-for-all arena in the Edge of the Mists? Well, there is one problem that I probably should have mentioned: How are you going to fight something that is invisible? Yes, it is true. Almost NOBODY will load into the map for both PvP and WvW. Not in the arena, not in instanced maps, nowhere. In the event that somebody does load in, you better pray that they cannot stealth at all, for they will take up to three minutes to load back in. Or maybe they just won't load in at all!

So what is there left to do in the game? Nothing for me. All I do is collect my daily reward while slowly leveling any alts I have with tomes I occasionally get.The best part is, this is all taking place during the Path of Fire launch.

*Note: This whole post is to detail all of my horrible experiences with the 64-bit mac client ever since the 32-bit one was abandoned. I'm sure there are other people who can relate to the stories I've spoken about here.

I had no issues with the 64Bit client other than it crashing a lot in Zergs - it was fine for everything else. I ended up installing Windows because I happen to like metas and didn't want to keep missing loot chests because of a client crash. But I guess it depends on which Mac you are playing on? On my MacBook Pros I have to play on low -medium settings depending whether I am on the 15" with the upgraded graphics or the 13" with the standard Intel GPU - but on my Hackintosh with my 980Ti, Core i7 6700k and 32GB RAM it performed pretty well.

@Spurnshadow.3678 said:Why anyone runs the mac client is beyond me. It's basically a windows emulator and is extremely taxing and will never run well, or at least as good as the windows version. Never. Many mac games out there are using this widows emulator as a mac client type of thing. Stop it.

The new 64 bit version is native MacOS.

@Spurnshadow.3678 said:Why anyone runs the mac client is beyond me. It's basically a windows emulator and is extremely taxing and will never run well, or at least as good as the windows version. Never. Many mac games out there are using this widows emulator as a mac client type of thing. Stop it.

Create a partition and install widows on that and run GW2 natively. Not only that, you can run just about any game that way as most games out there are windows only. I've been doing that for maybe 7 years or so. Did it on my 10 year old laptop and when I upgraded to my new Mac. On my old laptop, my settings were medium and with my new desktop map, they are mostly high settings.

The 32 bit we have had since 2012 is a windows emulator. The 64 bit client is a native app. Or do you mean windows emulator in the same way the mac version of office is a 'windows emulator'?

Archived