Wow the Forged are Unfun Mobs

Noe.8032

Like, they're pretty much split between the overly common high-ranking Forged whose abilities are all just extremely powerful and extremely threatening regardless of your distance from them, which they use constantly, to the grunt Forged many of which are rifle users who stand back out of the fight and just constantly hit you. Yeah I'm an Assassin so of course I can't tank much but then again if the mobs are biased against a certain class that's kind of a problem, I don't have issues taking down many of the other enemies in the game.

In general, the Forged being powerful isn't the problem so much as they are almost exclusively found in packs of four to seven with at least two rifle users and two high ranks, they're absurdly ganky while already being so threatening.

Fighting them feels so spastic and incomprehensible because there's so many of them and each is a strong threat. That story mission where you raid the Forged camp looking for Balthazar, the final boss of that mission killed me around three dozen times because he spawns probably around twelve Forged to help him at a time and your allies deal virtually no damage and pull almost no aggro so I just had to dive into death over and over until I wittled them down.

It's almost as frustrating as having half the Hero Points in Heart of Thorns being champions you need help to defeat.

Forged are fine. They are supposed to be a threat - army of your main antagonist. And after all the same happened with HoT mobs... it takes time to learn how to choose your targets in packs and kill them effectively to take down those most dangerous. Yes I had a bit of problem with forged at start of PoF but further I played easier it was.

@Aisling.5901 said:Like, they're pretty much split between the overly common high-ranking Forged whose abilities are all just extremely powerful and extremely threatening regardless of your distance from them, which they use constantly, to the grunt Forged many of which are rifle users who stand back out of the fight and just constantly hit you. Yeah I'm an Assassin so of course I can't tank much but then again if the mobs are biased against a certain class that's kind of a problem, I don't have issues taking down many of the other enemies in the game.

In general, the Forged being powerful isn't the problem so much as they are almost exclusively found in packs of four to seven with at least two rifle users and two high ranks, they're absurdly ganky while already being so threatening.

Fighting them feels so spastic and incomprehensible because there's so many of them and each is a strong threat. That story mission where you raid the Forged camp looking for Balthazar, the final boss of that mission killed me around three dozen times because he spawns probably around twelve Forged to help him at a time and your allies deal virtually no damage and pull almost no aggro so I just had to dive into death over and over until I wittled them down.

It's almost as frustrating as having half the Hero Points in Heart of Thorns being champions you need help to defeat.

Right now it feels like a pretty fine line between what's reasonable and just ganky.I don't think as a mesmer, as a chrono I could deal with most of the packs. As a mirage I just faceroll and for some reason that works.

@Lunarlife.5128 said:Right now it feels like a pretty fine line between what's reasonable and just ganky.I don't think as a mesmer, as a chrono I could deal with most of the packs. As a mirage I just faceroll and for some reason that works.

Don't worry. I haven't changed to Mirage yet and I'm still able to deal with their packs. Chrono can do it!

Hmm, my experience has been... more fortunate? I'm playing a power rev using staff most of the time. Rarely switch to hammer unless my targets are out of reach - particularly the Forged that seem to 'hover' and zoom about here and there. Other than that I personally don't have any problems and I actually enjoy fighting them. The slow/cripple combo is annoying, I will admit.

@Aisling.5901 said:Like, they're pretty much split between the overly common high-ranking Forged whose abilities are all just extremely powerful and extremely threatening regardless of your distance from them, which they use constantly, to the grunt Forged many of which are rifle users who stand back out of the fight and just constantly hit you. Yeah I'm an Assassin so of course I can't tank much but then again if the mobs are biased against a certain class that's kind of a problem, I don't have issues taking down many of the other enemies in the game.

So it's Heart of Thorns' Mordrem and whatever the frogs were called, and Living Story season 3's White Mantle all over again, I take it. Just in even larger groups.

That really doesn't make Path of Fire sound worth it ... :\

Didn't have that many problems with them so far but I'm sure it depends on the class you're playing.I'm using my Condi Ranger to get the new pets and even when they down me occasionally, one of them soon dies to pick me up.It's still easy to aggro more than you can deal with but that's part of the fun.If you want to make sure to have no problems, play with a group of friends and it should be easy going.

@Lunarlife.5128 said:

Right now it feels like a pretty fine line between what's reasonable and just ganky.I don't think as a mesmer, as a chrono I could deal with most of the packs. As a mirage I just faceroll and for some reason that works.

I run Power Chrono and haven't had too many issues with Forged groups beyond connectivity issues. I run Sword/Shield and Sword/Focus with Domination 2, 2, 3; Dueling 1, 3, 1; Chronomancer 3, 3, 3. First I use temporal curtain to cluster foes, followed by Illusionary Leap, then Tides of Time to stun the whole group - while they are stunned I unload Mantra of Pain for bonus vulnerability. Follow that with Mind Wrack and Blurred Frenzy. With Power Block and a Sigil of Draining on your shield it offers fair AoE damage and defense effects right out of the gate.

Well at least there's no tendrils

I don't have much trouble with the forged themselves, even if they do have a tendency to gather adds pretty easily. I also had trouble with the story mission boss, it was a case of whittling him down with ranged aoe, I couldn't imagine doing that as melee. I think the mob I hate the most is the ones that float about and knock you down, so annoying

@Aisling.5901 said:

This mission was awful, I also just had to keep dying and going back. Overall in the world I fared better but that was just ridiculous.

@Lairin.4528 said:

@Aisling.5901 said:

This mission was awful, I also just had to keep dying and going back. Overall in the world I fared better but that was just ridiculous.

The worst part for me was when Canach decided to run across the last room and pull everything, needless to say I died and an alarm went off. Did the Instance again and didn't get credit for killing all the mobs...

I liked the direction HoT went with for their mobs better. PoF imho goes a bit too much back to core design, that is mobs have too many AAs. In HoT while mobs hit hard most of them you could dodge and avoid as long as you learned their abilities. PoF mobs go right to the core tyria war of attrition where some mobs do have these hard hitting abilities you can dodge but most of them just AA in between making the battle war of attrition.

Add in large numbers and range and you either burst them down or they wear you down instead.

• 4 months later...

I recently bought PoF and so far I am tending to agree with the title of the thread. I like the variety of Forged along with their impressive art design, and I'm sure everyone it used to them by now, but I am finding them to be less than entertaining mobs.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

The only forged mob I dislike is the one that moves around like a player playing daredevil in WvW, but with perma superspeed.

Yeah, that one (the Forerunner I think it is called?) in particular feels needlessly annoying. Now that I think about it, if that one type of mob was removed the Forged might become tolerable. I still don't know if that would make them fun, not like Sandsharks. (Sandsharks are AWESOME!! They are my favorite mob of the expansion so far)

I am guessing you need to build with every condition removal your class has to deal with the extremely pointless burning which seems to take out my character much of the time?

@MidnightO.8632 said:I liked the direction HoT went with for their mobs better. PoF imho goes a bit too much back to core design, that is mobs have too many AAs.

I think this is post is a good point about the Area Attacks, though I find those less irritating than the overuse of burning I think.

Honestly, I’m getting flashbacks to Orr before they fixed that nonsense - only worse. The most cancerous thing about all PoF mobs is that they all seem to have a hidden passive damage bonus against mounts where they dismount you in one or two hits - from miles away.

It is really putting me off the PoF content all together.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Honestly, I’m getting flashbacks to Orr before they fixed that nonsense - only worse. The most cancerous thing about all PoF mobs is that they all seem to have a hidden passive damage bonus against mounts where they dismount you in one or two hits - from miles away.

You have like half of the hp and 0 thoghness on mount . Of course mobs gonna 1-2shots you

After you got jackal and learn the evade . This problem is pretty much gone unless you have awful timing.

@Takoyakii.2146 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Honestly, I’m getting flashbacks to Orr before they fixed that nonsense - only worse. The most cancerous thing about all PoF mobs is that they all seem to have a hidden passive damage bonus against mounts where they dismount you in one or two hits - from miles away.

You have like half of the hp and 0 thoghness on mount . Of course mobs gonna 1-2shots you

After you got jackal and learn the evade . This problem is pretty much gone unless you have awful timing.

Only PoF mobs do - they have some kind of bonus. Your mount can take quite a beating in comparison by HoT and vanilla mobs. Combined with their huge aggro radius, it truly is as if Anet wanted to make them as cancerous as possible.

As I said, flashbacks to pre-fix Orrian mobs.

Only annoying one really is the surfboard dudes because they are typically vets and have that glitchy attack where they move through you and can hit anywhere from one to twenty times within a single second kinda like the rolling devils from Hot.

Most of them are a joke if you take dps gear because you can burst them down quick. I found them much more difficult when I tried playing with Celestial gear, as opposed to berserkers or viper.

Much as I find it frustrating if I accidentally acquire too much aggro, I like them the way they are. When they come in a group you have to pick them off, learn to kite and whittle them down until there's few enough to face toe-to-toe. That's part of the fun imo. Easy mob kills are a bore. In fact, I consider any mob that isn't difficult to kill to be just a nuisance I'd rather have the option of not fighting at all.Having said that, there are areas I can't even enter because the concentration of mobs is so high that if you make the slightest mistake there is noplace you can go to recover, and any attempt to run just collects aggro from more groups of mobs. I wouldn't mind more SPACE in those areas - or at least the odd safe ledge where I can look at my inventory etc. without being jumped in two seconds.

Archived