For those looking into a Ryzen build for GW2

My current PC : 2560x1080 @ 144Hzi7 8700K @ 4.8GHz16GB DDR4 Ram @ 3200MHznVidia 1070 TI (OC'd to equivalent of a 1080)

Girlfriend's PC : 1920x1080 @ 120HzAMD Ryzen 2600x @ 4.2GHz16GB DDR4 Ram @ 3200 MHznVidia 1070 TI (OC'd to equivalent of a 1080)

In areas where I am getting 144 FPS with the 8700K, the girlfriend's PC is getting into the low 100s and high 90s while I am also running at a higher resolution (I think the GPU is making up for that though). Placed where I was getting 110-120 FPS, the girlfriend's PC was getting high 70s to low 80s. So just a heads up for anyone curious about the performance.

Resolution mostly depends on GPU performance, yes. What you are seeing is the difference is single threaded performance, because GW2 has a limit that means when you eliminate everything else, that becomes the bottleneck. The Ryzen is good, but not as single-core fast, as the Intel CPU. Does better with all those extra cores though.

Anyway, it's basically an artifact of the GW2 engine, and ANet have made improvements over time to reduce that penalty. It'll also get better as AMD improve the single core performance of their CPU lines over time, which they will undoubtedly do.

• 5 months later...

@shoegaze.3482 said:So, applying the same logic to a lower price range the i3 8100 should perform better than r5 1500x?

Can't decide which one to buy for Gw2

The single thread perfomance looks to be nearly identical for those CPUs, and AMD has better multi-core numbers but still, these CPUs are both quite low perfomance, meaning cheap. If you plan to pair them with something like GTX 1050 Ti your result will probably be nearly same, settings need to be turned down and fps will still drop. Even if one would be 10% slower or faster you do not notice that in the game.

@shoegaze.3482 said:So, applying the same logic to a lower price range the i3 8100 should perform better than r5 1500x?

Can't decide which one to buy for Gw2

OP's results is a bit of a different situation for various reasons, the 2 CPU's are running at 4.8 vs 4.2 GHZ, adding to that the 8700k can process data faster per core, not to mention it costs over a 100€ more.

The 8100 and 1500X perform almost the same. Explanation - the 8100 has slightly faster cores (which might help GW2 since it's reliant on the CPU) but the 1500X is better for multi tasking and games that make use of more than 4 threads. If I was on a limited budget I would go with the 1500X, better to have 4 more threads than those 10fps~ which won't make much difference .

Archived