Thoughts on a br mode for GW2?

zealex.9410

I post this on the wvw section because 1 its pvp and 2 its not small scale spvp but rather expansive free for all style.

The way i thought it would play out is, have a borderland sized map (if not 1.5x the size of one) where x amount of players drops (50-100) and fight each other until 1 player or team is left. I'm not familiar with how other br games handle solo players, duo, trios, 4 and 5 mans in (GW2's case) so anyone familiar feel free to pitch in. Im gonna go with having them split between solo and group queues with the ability to have auto fill.

Solo will play against other solos and duos can choose to go in as a duo (against other duos or trios or 4mans, 5mans) or go in with what ever number and choose to have the rest of the party auto filled by others who queue for it (u would be able to choose to queue in group with autofill enabled).

After that u drop from the airship in the borderlands and u can pick up weapons and gear like in other br games, kill others and progress. As time runs out the mist mechanic from the courtyard or the 2v2 map activates making the map smaller as the game progresses.

The reason i believe GW2 could make this work is because unlike other MMOs it doesn't have a strict trinity system gear determines what you play style is and what skills u pick so u are able to adapt on the fly unlike other MMOs where a tank is locked to that role. Talents and utils much like now would be free swap-able outside of combat.

I suggest this mainly because i personally feel the game is a bit stale and i'm not talking class wise. We have the same gamemodes since launch with the audition of a few in spvp that have seem little to no support from Anet and i believe ppl want something now to sink their teeth into. There's a lot of traffic and interest for br and esp for some sort of br in am mmo with the zoomed out camera and mechanics of MMOs.

There's a large (i feel like) number of ppl that dont necessarily enjoy conquest and they like the free roam feel of wvw but dislike the massive zerg vs zerg action (no hate to zerg v zerg or spvp) which could find a place in this br as low man groups or lone wolfs kind of deal against other similar sized groups. It would also be something pretty new and unique that would bring the game in the spotlight of the MMO world.

Now i'm sure a lot of ppl will bring class balance as a concern and its a valid one for sure but this is just a suggestion and nothing too well thought out so pls view it as just that. Ofc if this were to happen and Anet wanted to push such thing balance would be an important factor but that's just speculation.|

*br= Battle Royale

I'm kinda iffy on the idea of battle royale in gw2, I know it's popular gameplay right now but I don't know if anet should put an effort into copying it especially since they abandoned stronghold mode so easily(I actually really liked it). And yes class balance would be the biggest concern for me on this, some classes can be easily carried without the right gear while others maybe not so much, and of course thieves or mesmers would probably be the number one choice for classes.

The suggestions I would make for something like this are:

1. EBG/Eotm map.
  2. Open all gates.
  3. Have npcs drop loot, blue, green yellow, smc lord and players drop exotics. Or straight up just use spvp rules for loadouts and skip the killing for loot and the unbalanced period of looking for loot.
  4. Either have this the regular 3 sides(20 max each side) last side with members wins (so you can turn this into the gvg mode), single group mode , or regular battle royale free for all mode.
  5. Timer of 30mins. Have the enclosing mist with last man standing rule, or kill beefed up smc lord as win conditions.

@XenesisII.1540 said:I'm kinda iffy on the idea of battle royale in gw2, I know it's popular gameplay right now but I don't know if anet should put an effort into copying it especially since they abandoned stronghold mode so easily(I actually really liked it). And yes class balance would be the biggest concern for me on this, some classes can be easily carried without the right gear while others maybe not so much, and of course thieves or mesmers would probably be the number one choice for classes.

I think if there are still issues between class balancing that a BR mode would definitely be difficult to pull off without upsetting a big number of people on certain classes. Without being able to address those issues I don't think that this kind of game mode can exist - anet would have to not allow classes, but instead allow players to find/equip a select amount of skills/weapons that are balanced for this kind of mode, which in itself could be interesting if they went that route - we already have a variety of weapons in game that could fill a specific niche in this mode like experimental teleportation gun, white mantle portal device, experimental rifle, etc.

Gearing your entire character over and over again? No. Id rather just have a 50 man king of the hill. Gw2 has 16 equip slots as opposed to other BR games 4. Too much management. Just let have king of the hill drop in mode with our current gear. Mmos arent built to fully re gear every 30 minutes.

Archived