Looting Sunken Chests: Is Loot Stealing Possible?

Most likely they're a new or returning player and don't realise GW2 doesn't have loot stealing.

(If anyone's wondering things like chests are basically instanced, everyone has their own copy so someone opening it first or even at the same time has zero impact on the loot you get. Same with items dropped by enemies and event/boss chests.)

Another possibility is they're trying to test or already convinced by a superstition like everyone gets better loot if they open the chest in the order they reach it or if they open it while the krait treasure hunters are present or after swiming around it 3 times or whatever.

@Danikat.8537 said:Most likely they're a new or returning player and don't realise GW2 doesn't have loot stealing.

(If anyone's wondering things like chests are basically instanced, everyone has their own copy so someone opening it first or even at the same time has zero impact on the loot you get. Same with items dropped by enemies and event/boss chests.)

Another possibility is they're trying to test or already convinced by a superstition like everyone gets better loot if they open the chest in the order they reach it or if they open it while the krait treasure hunters are present or after swiming around it 3 times or whatever.

You forgot the part about putting on funny hats and other stuff!

@"Danikat.8537" said:Most likely they're a new or returning player and don't realise GW2 doesn't have loot stealing.

Thanks, the person in map chat was very adamant, but it ran counter to my own experience but admittedly there can be some inconsistencies in the game so I entertained the novel thought that I could be wrong. The wiki entry didn't put the matter to rest when I quoted it in chat.

A given Sunken Chest can only be opened once per day even if the Master Diver achievement resets.

The timer was the reason given fir the "rude loot stealing".

If chests were shared and one person opening it prevented anyone else doing it (even if it was just until the chest reset) I imagine we would have had a lot of angry people in the forum when they were first released. Especially with the initial price for swim speed infusions.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Most likely they're a new or returning player and don't realise GW2 doesn't have loot stealing.

You forgot the part about putting on funny hats and other stuff!

Oh I could be here all day with all the different superstitions I've heard over the years. Some sort-of make sense like people thinking the Mystic Forge was set to only drop a fixed number of precursors per day so you had a better chance if you used it just after reset or on quiet days. Some make no sense at all, like friend of mine who will only open black lion chests with her back to the screen because she got her best ever drop when she turned away as soon as she opened one (and all the times she's done it and hasn't gotten good drops apparently don't change that).

(And I'm as bad as anyone else - I always read the map completion mail and open any other pop-up chests before opening the map completion chest because I think it gives me a better chance at a Black Lion Key. It doesn't work and I have no reason to think it would, but I do it anyway.)

Any items you claim from dead bodies or chests are chosen for you. If there is pending loot in these for other players, there will be indicators that will alert them of such (closed chest, glimmering corpses). You cannot take another person's loot in Guild Wars 2. Any and all loot that you get is not anyone else's, and vice-versa.

Although, for the underwater chests, there is a small moment after the chest opens before the next round of krait spawns.

Come to think of it this is something the game should probably tell people. It was covered in the initial marketing but I'm not sure how many new players realise right away.

I remember one guy who spent his first week only taking 1/3 of the drops from enemies and worried that was too much. Then he started to notice no one else was taking the ones he left and asked someone about it.

Archived