Class to recommend?

Balance changes like most games but right now:PVE DPS: Ele, Guard, War, (Rev), (Mesmer)PVE Support: Mesmer, (Warrior), (Rev), (Guard), (Druid)

PVP: Mes, Necro, Guard are meta, with pretty much all classes being good too as additions to these. (This will likely change some with next expansion)

WvW: Necro, Guard

Open World: Everyone is viable.

Really, the classes more affect how you do something rather than your performance. It's not like you can't do raid, the hardest PvE content with only non-meta classes. And PvP comes down to rotations, although some classes are indeed hard to counter. (Scourge + Firebrand combo - this same combo is great in WvW)

I personally prefer slightly faster classes though, but they are all fun. Good luck, I suggest you focus on theme and what ratio of tanky vs speed you want.

Classes with location based teleports: Thief, Mes, Ele, (Necro)Classes with target based teleports: Guard, Necro, (Mes), Thief

Thief and mes are generally the fastest with ranger and warrior close behind. Followed by Rev and Engineer. But classes with teleports can move in ways some classes cant.

You can try all the classes in the heart of the mists lobby, you just have to play the intro mission for each character you make.

After having played since shortly after launch my personal favorite profession is the engineer, with the holosmith specialization. Having said that I've only recently been branching out more into other professions for those achievements and I'd say my second favorite is the mesmer with the mirage specialization.

I know it's a bit cliche, but I'd suggest going out into the open world trying new combinations until you find something you like, or using builds on meta battle that you can change as you like.

Alternatively Loboling is completely right about the current meta and you can copy those builds if you don't want to spend too much time trying to come up with one on your own.

@Khaos.6810 said:New player here, wondering which classes are considered the meta for pvp? also pve, and all around? any help is appreciated, thank you

Since you're a new player, I recommend you start with either warrior, ranger or necromancer. These professions are the most beginner friendly and will help you learn the game at your own pace. Don't play PvP until you learn how to play your profession, but to answer your question, those three professions are considered meta in both PvE and PvP.

@"Khaos.6810" said:New player here, wondering which classes are considered the meta for pvp? also pve, and all around? any help is appreciated, thank you

I am pretty sure mesmer has a spot with at least one build in every game mode. The Chronomancer is among the best support builds in any type of group content. Mirage has excellent damage and mobility paired with superior evasiveness, making them quite strong in PvP and WvW roaming. However, they also produce some of the best DPS in raids.

Warrior, Guardian, and possibly Necromancer or Ranger might be good options, too. But I only play Mirage, so I'll share some videos of Mirage from the past month or so in PvE and PvP for you.

PvP: Battle of Kyhlo (Unranked):

PvE: Champion Zintl Inquisitor

Meta’s are going to rotate and shuffle around. If you get good with whatever profession you choose, you can come close to meta with whatever. Then, when the meta eventually swings back in your favor, you’ve got the skill cap to really dominate.

Now while all the Warr, Ranger, Necro advocates are technically correct in that their classes are typically considered much easier to play, your best bet is to try out all the different classes for at least a few levels. Some people like the high octane dark souls-esque combat demands of Thief.Some do like the more forgiving game playe of the aforementioned 3 classes. But, you might need the vast array of skills that the Engineer brings in order to keep you interested. The Elementalist juggles as a half way between thief and engi, providing a laden skill set with fast pace demands. The Mesmer gives a very well designed illusionist motif, not quite as “mindless” as Warrior and Ranger, but not as intense as Elementalist and Engineer. The Revenant gives resource management and versatility in a heavy armor body. I couldn’t tell you much about Guardians, as I’m only just now leveling mine, but don’t pigeonhole yourself by META META META.

You’re starting up, so learn the game first with what lets you have fun. Besides, if you stick around to grab both expansions HoTs and PoF, you’ll get some lvl 80 boosts to spend to get you your meta bois anyhow.

Thanks everyone, this is some great feedback. I ended up using my first boost of 2 on my elementalist as ive always had a preference for mage-type classes. I’m gonna see how this goes and will definitely take everyone’s feedback into account for my second character boost.

@michelada.2947 said:just avoid thief as your first class

Why? Certainly for leveling at the start your a glass cannon but once you have 3 specializations (and/or the boost with soldier gear) you gain a good supply of survivability using certain traits (look at metabattle for these). I say this as someone who started as Thief and than went Revenant (as recommendation of something that works like thief nope XD) than Guardian (Firebrand). I do agree that Warrior and Necro might be more forgiving but I like a bit of difficulty making the recommended Ranger, Warrior and Necro my last builds probably. Furthermore starting as thief learns you how to dodge everything because you are dead otherwise which is helpful for any non-tank build (or most condi-berserker-pug builds).

@"michelada.2947" said:just like i said for 1st class just avoid thief

This does not add anything on your post I am pointing you out because you say: "Don't use this" without giving any underlying reason for why it should be avoided. I am saying you can and should just use any build you think you will like if it fist your play style. In any class you can die (as GW2 best armor with proper infusions for class still does not provide immortality). As said in the first reaction:

@Loboling.5293 said:Open World: Everyone is viable.

The OP is asking for advice which is given in the thread (with proper reasoning behind it) I am basing my advice on how I like to play and that any class is playable.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:you could try leatherwork........or do you mean
profession
?

This pedantry is neither productive, nor helpful.

it is, it's called profession, not class.the sooner they learn that the better for all.

Same thing really. You could say profession or class and id understand what you where talking about, theres no reason to be an ass about it. Most of the players ive encountered needing help with crafting usually say crafting profession, use the craft they are talking abouts name or just say crafting.

My bad let me explain my point why thief is a bad choice for your first class:

• Sustain is low compared to other classes, you will notice this on expansions pve where the mobs are harder to kill and deal a lot of damage
  • Hard to play/ High skillfloor.
  • There are some mechanics like fields and finishers that you need to learn little by little , thief uses lot of those mechanics.
  • One trick pony , so it becomes really repetitive in general
  • One of the most boring and useless class mechanics of all classes for pve
  • Not enough range options , P/P is ok for pve but is boring just to spam 3 , Short bow is a low damage weapon and you get rifle with pof but rifle is a single target weapon so not good enouhg for pve.

I guess that is enough, avoid thief as your "first class" you can give a try on your second character anyways

Engineer is actually one of the fastest classes in the game if built for it. Perma-swiftness, many leaps both on weapons and utility slots. It can outrun almost anything. No teleports that I can recall offhand though.

Swiftness on kit equip, leaps on rifle, sword, and hammer. Rocket boots, elixir gun leap. Slick shoes and various other ways to get super speed.

If "gotta go fast" is your thing, it's hard to go wrong with engineer.

@"michelada.2947" said:My bad let me explain my point why thief is a bad choice for your first class:

• Sustain is low compared to other classes, you will notice this on expansions pve where the mobs are harder to kill and deal a lot of damageSustain for power (Berserker/Assassin/Marauder) Thief can be high using Critical Strikes 3-2-3 (Invigorating Precision)

• Hard to play/ High skillfloor.Depends on build (again) lot of thief build have simple rotation.

• There are some mechanics like fields and finishers that you need to learn little by little , thief uses lot of those mechanics.You need to learn this (the build I use does not create fields) for all classes (to be honest my Herald and Firebrand use fields and finishers more than my thief).

• One trick pony , so it becomes really repetitive in generalThis is something I have to agree on, on my own build

• One of the most boring and useless class mechanics of all classes for pveYou of the more challenging class for PvE I suppose, I agree whatever build you use you have to get used to it on Thief however that counts for other classes as well. The challenging part is probably getting chosen in Fractals/Raids if using certain builds.

• Not enough range options , P/P is ok for pve but is boring just to spam 3 , Short bow is a low damage weapon and you get rifle with pof but rifle is a single target weapon so not good enouhg for pve.Shot bow is in my opinion the way to go ranged vs multiple mobs since AA bounces between enemies (and using Invigorating Precision you can troll things with loads of enemies. Further it has teleport and a deadly single target (though easiest used point blank) 2-2. I actually switched from P/P to Shortbow as it felt nicer in HoT.

I guess that is enough, avoid thief as your "first class" you can give a try on your second character anyways

As thief I started out with D/D - P/P than later that became D/D - SB and once I got the specialization Daredevil Staff/ShortbowAnd as power thief I had: Critical Strikes, Deadly Arts and Trickery where Trickery later on got replaced by Daredevil

As said it is not for everyone but in my humble opinion of having started as a Thief and playing it for 244 hours and 44 mins (nearly half my playing hours) is that it might not be the best class to start at but it is not like it is the worse class to start as either. Regardless of how you play your utility makes up for a lot in any class (and builds with it) and you need to learn them on any character to play them correctly

Archived