Show range on open portal icon

Don't you think that showing the actual range you're from your open portal would be helpful and wouldn't affect the gameplay in any wrong way? Like when you open a portal and you mouse over on the icon with portal and you can check how far are you from your starting portal. Of course, you can do extremely well without it, but there are situations in which I would find it helpful.

What are your opinions?

I'm pretty sure anet deliberately avoid any kind of distance tracking other than the minimal red bar on your UI skills. There can be several reasons for this, and since it's a universal rule it will naturally be more necessary for some skills than others. The devs have already given us more options, like locking AoEs at max range and adding the red bars to non-weapon skills, so remember before that it was all guesswork and a bad portal was a wasted portal.

My guess as to why they have this policy of no range tracking is that it can be used for exploits, by players who find a way to alter the values in real time or change the parameters. Remember you could use the portal in your case as a tool to measure just about anything. This would also give mesmers an unfair advantage over other classes, especially in competitive modes. What we do know about range come from the wiki community, and they are the ones who devised the unit measurement based on the in game tooltips and mechanics. So far that's all we got and I doubt after all this time anet will change their minds regarding their tracking policy.

As a player who runs around on a Mesmer daily in Not So Secret JP helping those who may need it, this isn't' really necessary. Sure, you may put your portal down and be slightly out of range, but you adapt and learn, then do it right next time.

Archived