New Race Suggestion

I think it would be very nice if GW2 have elf available for players to select..because right now the only attractive looking race is human... Norm male looks like they're special (if I was norm female I wouldn't even wanna have anything to do with norm male) the norm female looks way better than male and I'm not sure why the male looks like undeveloped barbarian....

Tree people are not very attractive IMO... I have tried multiple colors and choices and it’s just NOT working for me...and I'm not interested in mutated dwarf looking asura either... cat are alright but they're not very cute or pretty ... So please make elf race thank you so much!! (SORRY for the rant I apologize but I have good reasons I promise)

I think it will be a very nice addition to the game not just visual wise It could add more interesting storyline like elves assist to fight the elder dragons or something like that. It could be released with the upcoming expansion perhaps from a new upcoming zone. I believe it will also attract other players from other games who also enjoys playing elf or returning players to play the game because of the whole new race.

By the way this post is meant for the development team to see, not really meant to generate negativities or hate speech from others players so if any of you got nothing nice to say please keep it to yourself.

p.s. If making elf is REALLY that difficult please just add the option for people to customize their ears, either add the feature at the total makeover kit or just sell pointy ear accessory in gem store. (I would totally buy it)!!!

Thank you <3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:Nah, we're good with what we have.

WE? who's we? you don't represent anyone but yourself lol B)

We = the game, as a whole. The game really doesn't need an elf race. As for not representing anyone but myself, of course that's true. But the same goes for your own opinions given here. I, personally, think Sylvari can look positively gorgeous. Asura can look cute and even pretty, given the right touches with the makeover kits and wardrobe. I don't disagree with your assessment of Norn males looking a bit like meatheads, but that can also be fixed with some good armor skins and such. Plus, the number of Sylvari, Asura, and male Norns running around in-game seem to indicate that many others don't have problems with those races' looks, either.

So, if you want to have conventionally pretty and/or sexy looks to your characters, enjoy your Human characters and Norn females. The game doesn't need another race just for dress-up purposes. :p

Yea asking em to make a race and then 3x3 branching paths for level 10-30 of living story aint going too happen bud.Even so asking for the most generic race of all elf thats abit much.Rather go with races we already have either somehow find a way for stone dwarfs to reproduce or tengu.

What Mastery Points? If you are talking about the Personal Story Mastery Points, all possible Mastery Points (8) can be achieved with one race, and one race only.

No Makeover Kits are necessary to create a very cute Asura; I have several.

Thus, no 'elves' are needed for cute and/or pretty characters. (Besides, elves are not part of the Guild Wars universe and lore. If another playable race were ever added [unlikely], it would be a race already part of the GW universe.)

Good luck, though.

We dont need to force a new race for the sake of pretty human-like races. If you cant deal with human or norn, this game may not be the one for you. I don't think you should speak for others either. I have one human out of ten slots. I like the Sylvari, and my two most played characters are Sylvari. We do t have gnomes/dwarves either, but asurans fill that roll. I like the races we have in this game, because outside of humans, this game is quite unique with its races.

@"Elden Arnaas.4870" said:The lore does not allow for elves. Sylvari were made to be the "elves" of GW2. If you don' t like them, you're kinda out of luck Sorry.

PSA: Do not feed the trolls.

Strangely enough, the Humans represent the Tolkien "elf" archetype here: the beautiful, magical, ancient (comparatively), wise (comparatively), and powerful, but declining race.The Sylvari have the stereotypical connections to nature and fey magic (and faux British accents), but comparatively are the very young, curious, and ambitious race, much like the Humans in other (Tolkien) stories.

This is by design, and kind of neat, imho.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:I think it would be very nice if GW2 have elf available for players to select..because right now the only attractive looking race is human... Norm male looks like they're special (if I was norm female I wouldn't even wanna have anything to do with norm male) the norm female looks wayyyy better than male and I'm not sure why the male looks like undeveloped barbarian.... :s

Tree people very ugly IMO...and I'm not interested in mutated dwarf looking asura thing either... cat are alright but they're not very cute or pretty like husky ... Ya please make elf race

Thank you <3

No, I am very happy that anet doesn't have a generic elf race. They are overdone and super boring.

Also, you are probably gonna get a lot of flak if you talk so negatively about all the races like this, many people like them, myself included. And that makes your statements feel like an attack on my tastes.

@"Trise.2865" said:The Sylvari have the stereotypical connections to nature and fey magic (and faux British accents)

And ghastly pronunciation of perfectly good Welsh words. The worst is the word "Caer" that appears in the names of semi-fortified Sylvari spots all over Caledon and Brisban does, indeed, mean "fort".

It is correctly pronounced as if it is spelled "Kyre". The in-game pronunciation "Kair" makes my teeth itch, and I'm not even Welsh!

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:The Sylvari have the stereotypical connections to nature and fey magic (and faux British accents)

And ghastly pronunciation of perfectly good Welsh words. The worst is the word "Caer" that appears in the names of semi-fortified Sylvari spots all over Caledon and Brisban does, indeed, mean "fort".

It is correctly pronounced as if it is spelled "Kyre". The in-game pronunciation "Kair" makes my teeth itch, and I'm not even Welsh!

Ooooohhhh, pronouncing things incorrectly makes my hackles rise (and I'm American with an accent that's blander and flatter than old tap water). Spoiler'd for going off topic.

! So many names are pronounced incorrectly...just to name a few: Niamh, Faolain, Trahearne, Cadeyrn...NIGH-am, FOW-lan, tra-HERN, and CAD-e-irn? I am...faaaairly certain that's not how they're supposed to be pronounced. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and those ARE how they're pronounced, because this is driving me up the walls... (At the "lore" forum chat a few months ago, I did ask why all these names were pronounced incorrectly, and asked if this is genuinely how these names are supposed to be pronounced in this fantasy world [since the Welsh/Irish/Scottish/Gaelic etc. languages do not exist in GW2]. No response, sadly.)!Granted, Faolain and Trahearne are derived from the names Faolán and Trahaearne. Perhaps that difference affects how they are pronounced.

In any case...yeah, the sylvari are physically/culturally the "elf" race. In terms of storytelling and archetype, as @"Trise.2865" said, humans are actually the "elves." We don't need a stereotypical elf race. GW2 is quite unique in that regard, and I'd very much prefer to keep it that way.

I'm not fussed about new races, but I also don't agree with the reason of 'not gonna happen cos personal story ect.'There are always ways to implement something new.For a new race it could unlock after you got one of the original characters trough the personal story , abit like the scion in PoE. You save the scion from her imprisonment and from that point on you are able to start with one.

Something similar can work in a new expansion when given some tought.It can cut out the personal story or implement a simplified version for that race.Plenty of races exsisting in Tyria's world already that can become playeble this way or a completely new one that we will meet in an unexplored part of the world that is revealed in the new expansion.

@Batel.9206 said:

Ooooohhhh, pronouncing things incorrectly makes my hackles rise (and I'm American with an accent that's blander and flatter than old tap water). Spoiler'd for going off topic.

! So many names are pronounced incorrectly...just to name a few: Niamh, Faolain, Trahearne, Cadeyrn...NIGH-am, FOW-lan, tra-HERN, and CAD-e-irn? I am...faaaairly certain that's not how they're supposed to be pronounced.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and those ARE how they're pronounced, because this is driving me up the walls... (At the "lore" forum chat a few months ago, I did ask why all these names were pronounced incorrectly, and asked if this is genuinely how these names are
supposed
to be pronounced in this fantasy world [since the Welsh/Irish/Scottish/Gaelic etc. languages do not exist in GW2]. No response, sadly.)!
Granted, Faolain and Trahearne are derived from the names Faolán and Trahaearne. Perhaps that difference affects how they are pronounced.

In any case...yeah, the sylvari are physically/culturally the "elf" race. In terms of storytelling and archetype, as @"Trise.2865" said, humans are actually the "elves." We don't need a stereotypical elf race. GW2 is quite unique in that regard, and I'd very much prefer to keep it that way.

The language is perfectly logical, much how like the "young" Americans slaughters the "old" English language.

You can just imagine a Sylvari tree pod with its young Sylvari about to be born...

Dream (whisper): Kyre...Trahearne: Car?Dream: ... Kyre...Trahearne: Care?Dream: Kyre!Trahearne: Cair?Dream: Fuck it close enough you're on your own.A new Sylvari has been born

@"Batel.9206" said:

! So many names are pronounced incorrectly...just to name a few: Niamh, Faolain, Trahearne, Cadeyrn...NIGH-am, FOW-lan, tra-HERN, and CAD-e-irn? I am...faaaairly certain that's not how they're supposed to be pronounced.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and those ARE how they're pronounced, because this is driving me up the walls... (At the "lore" forum chat a few months ago, I did ask why all these names were pronounced incorrectly, and asked if this is genuinely how these names are
supposed
to be pronounced in this fantasy world [since the Welsh/Irish/Scottish/Gaelic etc. languages do not exist in GW2]. No response, sadly.)!
Granted, Faolain and Trahearne are derived from the names Faolán and Trahaearne. Perhaps that difference affects how they are pronounced.

In our world, in the countries of origin:

! Niamh == "Neev" (Irish) commonly anglicised as "Neve" or "Neeve".! Faolán == "Fway-lawn", and it's a man's name. (Irish)! Trahaearne == nothing in particular. Trahaearn == "Tra-HIGH-arn" (Welsh) Trahearne would be "tra-hey-ARN-ey".! Cadeyrn == approximately "CAD-airn" (Welsh)! About the only one I've heard in-game that sounds "right" is "Iowerth". (Welsh)

Irish Gaelic has complicated but "phonetic" spelling rules, with lots of silent vowels that are there to alter the pronunciation of the adjacent consonants. Example: "S" next to or surrounded by "narrow" vowels ("e" and "i") is "sh", as in Sean, "shawn" == John, next to / surrounded by "broad" vowels ("a", "o", "u") ==> "s". If surrounded by a mix of broad and narrow vowels, e.g. "eso", that's a spelling error. Welsh spelling is, in general, phonetic, although the sound-letter correspondence is different to the one in English, and there are a few sounds that don't exist in English, notably the sound written double-L and pronounced like an unvoiced "L". The stress accent in Welsh is far more consistent than in English, and usually falls on the second-to-last syllable.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Batel.9206" said:

supposed

In our world, in the countries of origin:

! Niamh == "Neev" (Irish) commonly anglicised as "Neve" or "Neeve".! Faolán == "Fway-lawn", and it's a man's name. (Irish)! Trahaearne == nothing in particular. Trahaearn == "Tra-HIGH-arn" (Welsh) Trahearne would be "tra-hey-ARN-ey".! Cadeyrn == approximately "CAD-airn" (Welsh)! About the only one I've heard in-game that sounds "right" is "Iowerth". (Welsh)

Irish Gaelic has complicated but "phonetic" spelling rules, with lots of silent vowels that are there to alter the pronunciation of the adjacent consonants. Example: "S" next to or surrounded by "narrow" vowels ("e" and "i") is "sh", as in Sean, "shawn" == John, next to / surrounded by "broad" vowels ("a", "o", "u") ==> "s". If surrounded by a mix of broad and narrow vowels, e.g. "eso", that's a spelling error. Welsh spelling is, in general, phonetic, although the sound-letter correspondence is different to the one in English, and there are a few sounds that don't exist in English, notably the sound written double-L and pronounced like an unvoiced "L". The stress accent in Welsh is far more consistent than in English, and usually falls on the second-to-last syllable.

Thaaat's mostly what I thought. Thank you for clarifying! :)

!I've taken to calling Faolain FOWlan the Nazgul (thanks to a line in one of the sylvari stories that says "[Faolain] will never stop hunting you!"). Her name bothers me the most. It's such a beautiful name...and it's so butchered in this game. And there's that whole issue about Faolán being a purely masculine name (same with Blademaster Diarmid from Heart of Thorns; masculine name - Diarmaid - female character)...whoops.! Also, I've heard Trahaearn pronounced as tra-hAY-irn. Is that incorrect? And I'm an idiot - I spelled it "Trahaearne." Argh, there's no e at the end! Sorry.

@"Batel.9206" said:Thaaat's mostly what I thought. Thank you for clarifying! :)

!I've taken to calling Faolain FOWlan the Nazgul (thanks to a line in one of the sylvari stories that says "[Faolain] will never stop hunting you!"). Her name bothers me the most. It's such a beautiful name...and it's so butchered in this game. And there's that whole issue about Faolán being a purely
masculine
name (same with Blademaster Diarmid from Heart of Thorns; masculine name - Diarmaid - female character)...whoops.! Also, I've heard Trahaearn pronounced as tra-hAY-irn. Is that incorrect? And I'm an idiot - I spelled it "Trahaearne." Argh, there's no e at the end! Sorry.

Re Trahaearn <=> tra HAY irn

According to my recollection of studying Welsh (it's a long story, a fair while ago), the "ae" in Welsh is pronounced like "eye" rather than like "eh", and the "a" in "arn" should be an "a", not an "i", but Welsh does have a few anomalous pronunciations. The worst is the word "eisiau"(1). It's highly variable in pronunciation depending on where in Wales you are, but it is almost never pronounced like it's spelled. The most common sounds much like "eeshuh", and I've actually heard it pronounced ONCE and once only, by one person, as it's spelled (roughly "aysho"). It jarred a little tiny bit.

(1) approximately "to need", but with anomalous grammar because it isn't a verb(2): "dw i eisiau X" = "I need X", except that there's no "yn" in there, "'n" after a vowel like "i".

(2) And also because Welsh verbs don't actually have an infinitive form.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:I think it would be very nice if GW2 have elf available for players to select..because right now the only attractive looking race is human... Norm male looks like they're special (if I was norm female I wouldn't even wanna have anything to do with norm male) the norm female looks wayyyy better than male and I'm not sure why the male looks like undeveloped barbarian.... :s

Tree people very ugly IMO...and I'm not interested in mutated dwarf looking asura thing either... cat are alright but they're not very cute or pretty like husky ... Ya please make elf race

Thank you <3

One of the things I've always liked best about Guild Wars is that it isn't JRR Tolken based Elf/Dwarf/Orc fantasy.

Thank you <3

I find this a derivative and superficial idea that brings absolutely nothing to the franchise.No thanks.I would much rather development resources not go into any additional race.

Archived