Inappropriate name?

@"Batel.9206" said:The three middle letters in Karlsdottir. After k-a-r and before o-t-t-i-r.

...that's the only thing I can see that might be causing a problem. And if it is that...that's just ridiculous.

It has to be.. lol

That's almost Dark Souls level of filtering. Can't name yourself "Knight" because it has nig in it lmao

Oh wouldn't you know it, it filters it here too, though that makes a lot more sense

I Googled the name the OP was trying to use.

First 2 results, and multiple other results on the firs page: a women with the last name 'Karlsdottir'. Seems to be adults only kinda stuff.

Possible reasons the name is not allowed for character creation: copyright, real life person, reference to adults only material?

Not sure, butt that's all I can think of.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Oh man, that's some frustratingly annoying filtering if its those three letters. Reminds me of the time I couldn't name a pokemon Violet because the first 4 letters means something bad in french.

Yeah, well brought to you by the same people that moderate this forum, so /consistency !

I had the same annoying case, some years ago, applying to all my toons. Since GW1, all had names with the same first word: 4 letters serving as abbreviation of the word "Lullaby". Then the naming policy was put in place. The day following the announcement, all my names got censured! I had to change them all and was not exactly happy about. I got the explanation much later: The abbreviation I had taken was a bad slang word in Dutch. I had not the slightest idea about that... :/

However, I have to say that I agree on that naming policy. We need it. And I understand also that since it is an international game, with so many languages, it is probably very difficult to set up a perfect filter. The only thing I regret is that they don't inform about what exactly in the name is a problem, because if we don't understand then it makes it difficult to adjust around it.

@"Charrbeque.8729" said:I Googled the name the OP was trying to use.

First 2 results, and multiple other results on the firs page: a women with the last name 'Karlsdottir'. Seems to be adults only kinda stuff.

Possible reasons the name is not allowed for character creation: copyright, real life person, reference to adults only material?

In Iceland, people's last names are derived from their father's(1)(2) first name plus an "s" plus "son" (son) or "dottir" (daughter) as appropriate, so "Somebody Karlsdottir" is a woman whose father was Karl Someonesson.

Conclusion: there's nothing exotic about the name, except for the drug reference, and frankly, filters that trigger the Skunthorpe(3) problem are ... kitten.

(1) Not a distant ancestor in the 12th Century, but the person's actual father.

(2) Or mother if the father's identity isn't known.

(3) Deliberately misspelled to evade the filter because it isn't a bad word. It's the name of a town in northern England whose proper spelling contains a very, very bad word.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Has letters referring to an illegal drug.

That’s happened before. Someone wanted use the last name of Owlsdottir and the game blocked it.

As noted by Fleshy, it is the 'Kar--lsd--ottir' that is causing that name to be blocked, which has been reported in the past as being an issue for other names.

There may be some potential alternative versions of those letters that can be used in place of one of them (accent marks, etc), or even other letters that look close enough to pass for them to prevent those exact 3 letters from being in sequence.

So assuming it is those 3 letters which are the problem there's 2 options here:

1) Contact Support and ask if they would allow you to have the name, which may take a while as they get a lot of tickets and I doubt this is going to be considered as urgent as people who are locked out of their account, cannot buy gems, have lost an important item etc. but may allow you to get exactly this name.

2) Change the name. The simplest solution would be to make it Karldottir, which is not quite right but should be permitted. Or re-name her father to something that doesn't end in an L. But depending on how you decided on that name you might of course prefer a different solution, for a role-playing character it might even be preferably to give her a totally different last name and just mention her father's name when it's relevant to the story.

I my opinion it is absolutely ridiculous how overpowered their filter is. It is beyond ridiculous what they sometimes filter and even more when they filter stuff within words and especially if it is absolutely not intended. They should get their algorithm right.

Now, I never had any problems in game, since I remove all the profanity filters and also didn't have any issues with my in game names. But from the forums filter and what people write here, they really should overthink their utterly overprotective 'we are in a beautiful world and everything bad doesn't exist/got denied'-attitude. Compare it to the blizzard or destiny (bungie) forum, you get warnings for completely out of place minor things. If you raise children with an attitude like this they won't have a thick enough skin in their later life.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:I my opinion it is absolutely ridiculous how overpowered their filter is. It is beyond ridiculous what they sometimes filter and even more when they filter stuff within words and especially if it is absolutely not intended. They should get their algorithm right.

Now, I never had any problems in game, since I remove all the profanity filters and also didn't have any issues with my in game names. But from the forums filter and what people write here, they really should overthink their utterly overprotective 'we are in a beautiful world and everything bad doesn't exist/got denied'-attitude. Compare it to the blizzard or destiny (bungie) forum, you get warnings for completely out of place minor things. If you raise children with an attitude like this they won't have a thick enough skin in their later life.

I'm offended that you're offended. Whose state of being offended takes precedence?

I'd definitely put in a ticket to support about this. It's a legit name with no nefarious purpose.If they don't help you get the name you want, you might try a hyphen between the s and d, or an apostrophe between the l and s. An apostrophe would be in line with the literal meaning.Or you might use her Mother's name instead of her Father's?You might use a double s, as in "Braham Eirsson"

Good luck with it.

@Elden Arnaas.4870 said:I'd definitely put in a ticket to support about this. It's a legit name with no nefarious purpose.If they don't help you get the name you want, you might try a hyphen between the s and d, or an apostrophe between the l and s. An apostrophe would be in line with the literal meaning.

You can’t use hyphens or apostrophes in character names, unfortunately. I gather you can use letters such as ń, ë, ú.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Elden Arnaas.4870 said:I'd definitely put in a ticket to support about this. It's a legit name with no nefarious purpose.If they don't help you get the name you want, you might try a hyphen between the s and d, or an apostrophe between the l and s. An apostrophe would be in line with the literal meaning.

You can’t use hyphens or apostrophes in character names, unfortunately. I gather you can use letters such as ń, ë, ú.

Is that true? I've never tried, but on behalf of many of my fellow Irish players (O'Connells, O'Reillys and O'Haras) I call that even more outrageous!

Archived