Which profession should I level/boost next?

It's between Revenant, Engineer, or Guardian. I've tried all 9 classes thus far and I've done the 50-100+ google searches on each one and did my own personal buildcrafting extensively. But these are the three that haven't quite been able to stick. I've got an 80 boost, but the elites I've played around with give me the impression that they are too gamechanging to get an impression of a class based on core traitlines. (e.g: Druid, Daredevil, Scourge, Chrono, Mirage Staff is useful, yay!, etc)

I generally like to play niche builds that are support-y with a lot of crowd-control and feel powerful when played correctly. Sometimes I like to be in the heat of it and carry fights and other times I like to take the backburner and help someone else do the brunt of the work.

I also heard Engineer is really good at AFK farming. I don't plan to do this because this isn't BDO and I like being active. But sometimes when I join an event train, I like to turn my brain off and let minions do most of the work.

To give a few examples of how I play and what I like:

Thief/Daredevil: This has been my main since GW2 released and has been sort of an evasion-tank DPS. I like to constantly like to facetank things without taking damage and constantly dodging straight through things like a nuclear explosion from a ley-line anomaly event failing is so damn satisfying. I like to save players with Shadow Refuge and support with my Short Bow for CCs and finishers. And near-permanent group stealth for when it's time to cheese map completion for those struggling with it.

Necro/Reaper/Scourge: This is gradually starting to feel like my new favorite class and it might be without be even realizing it. My favorite part being the Scourge elite. I love barriers and the traits that go with them. Flipping condis into boons and vice versa, providing buffs, rezzing downed players from almost nothing to full almost instantly, resource management, list goes on. I like having my own little posse of minions I can hide behind or deligate work to. And I love the Reaper spec for whenever I feel the need to just start bashing things and killing enemies by basically shouting at them. I love everything about this class.

Druid: I never liked the Ranger class until Druid. This spec on top of what Ranger already has through pets and spirits means I can relive my old boonbot days while CCing mobs, healing players, and applying condis. This was my primary support before Scourge was released and I still love this.

Mesmer/Chrono/Mirage: Given everything that's been written in addition to what this class basically is, this one should be self-explanitory since it seems like literally everyone is always asking for one.

Elementalist/Tempest: I like to heal, CC, apply auras and boons, condis, etc. You get the idea...

Hopefully this will give you at least some idea of what I'm looking for. Based on what anyone has played, what do you suppose I should run with?

Mesmer(Chronomancer) has insane amount of CC, and is insanely powerful if played correctly. As you said, almost every group is looking for one, since great mesmer arent that common. If you know how to properly play it, you can easily carry pugs through alot of encounters.

@Glider.5792 said:Mesmer(Chronomancer) has insane amount of CC, and is insanely powerful if played correctly. As you said, almost every group is looking for one, since great mesmer arent that common. If you know how to properly play it, you can easily carry pugs through alot of encounters.

I play a Mesmer. I was primarily asking about Rev, Guard, and Engie.

My main is also a daredevil and recently I also started to like the necro, while I like the tempest for the healings. Basically I agree with all of your feedback but the one about the druid, that I didn't like at all (mostly for the annoying sounds of the skills - same for the scepter on the guardian, even if it's a good weapon).

I had 2 boosts and I used them on a revenant and on a guardian (mostly for the tanky stats of the free exotic gear). They are both quite easy to play and helpful in group, so you may like them. The engineer is the only class that I didn't play, but I think it requires more time to understand, so I wouldn't use a boost on it.About the elite specs, the gameplay of the revenant is quite different according to the elite, while the dragonhunter is not too different from the core guardian (you gain traps, but it's not sooo different compared to many other elite specs). The firebrand is very different though (I think that it shines better in PvP as support, while in PvE I still prefer the dragonhunter).

Not much info to decide, I'm sorry, it's a personal choice after all. I found the revenant funnier to play, easier to understand, but it requires some multitasking skill. You buff your allies automatically, with no effort (in herald). The guardian requires less "buttons" to press, but you have to time better your skills to survive and gain the boost from retaliation.

Judging by your class/playstyle preferences id definitely say its a close call between guardian and revenant.

• Revenant has a quite unique playstyle and I personally like to think of it as a mix between warrior and thief. You got ressource management, a lot of utility (depending on what legends you choose) and both elite specs have decent support potential in the form of boonsupport or even straight up healing (Heal renegade is pretty underrated imo). For PvE content you will mainly want to stick to condition builds (although, as said, heal renegade is also pretty good) while PvP/WvW definitely prefer power heralds.

-Guardian has a more straight forward playstyle but is still top-notch at everything it does. Guardian probably is the class with the most build diversity. It has a viable build for almost any role you want to pick up. Support/condi dps (or even some hybrid mix) - take Firebrand and play arround with your gear to find the balance between the two you prefer. For Power Dps you can either go DH or even base guardian. No matter what content you play, you will always be welcome in any grp, altho the more hardcore you, the more you will be forced into a specific role...but then again, that goes for any class really.

Archived