Fog time...

Negative, also sounds like a FPS killer, even with my computer as it is itd probably take a hit from that. Not to mention that i despise not being able to see my surroundings in a game, and much like some of the LW2 missions and HoT missions which have caves that dont allow you to have light, i disliked them the most.

You know, I'm reminded of that forest in Dark Souls 2. You know the one: the one that is full of fog and invisible enemies that ambush you. It's very hard, but also kind of fun.

It will probably be a no-go, as mentioned above, and also because the gimmick of poor visibility gets old fast. There are some places in the game that really play with visibility. In particular, the WvW jumping puzzle has a section where you run across high-beams in an area that is pitch black, unless you're carrying either a temp weapon torch or some piece of equipment that emits light. Personally I think it is fun, but this is one area that I am keenly aware that my preferences do not match the population at large.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:You know, I'm reminded of that forest in Dark Souls 2. You know the one: the one that is full of fog and invisible enemies that ambush you. It's very hard, but also kind of fun.

It will probably be a no-go, as mentioned above, and also because the gimmick of poor visibility gets old fast. There are some places in the game that really play with visibility. In particular, the WvW jumping puzzle has a section where you run across high-beams in an area that is pitch black, unless you're carrying either a temp weapon torch or some piece of equipment that emits light. Personally I think it is fun, but this is one area that I am keenly aware that my preferences do not match the population at large.

One of the JPs in LA has that too although one of the sections seems to be broken.

If done right the fog would increase FPS. (no need to render distant objects)

Its certainly an interesting idea, although I would think the map would defeat the purpose to it(remove it maybe?)

It would also need some way to tell where other players are.

A thought comes to mind of a foggy swampland where players carry lanterns that others can see and change from yellow>red biased on health. So you can see a player's lantern in the distance go quickly to red then out and know something bad happened there.

No need to destroy the computer, they are already some fog in-game theh could use on a whole map: the black fog from the sons of svanir and bonfires fractal and the orange fog used in mount maelstrom/hidden destroyed room of the thaumanova reactor (with the branded crystal). It offer a ton of possibilities, underground map, foggy forest, deep inside a volcano, sea floor...

What a coincidence...I was thinking about this the other day. Fog is the one environmental effect I've yet to see in GW2.

As others have said, they'd have to implement it carefully...LOTRO had an infamous "fog bug" which kicked in when you rode your horse to one of the icy regions to the north...looked awesome when entering this mysterious region, but then the "fog" stayed with you. Everywhere. Even if you went back to the Prancing Pony for a pint afterwards.

Still, it would make for an epic fight with a rogue largos or something. Spooky. :)

@Dante.1763 said:Negative, also sounds like a FPS killer, even with my computer as it is itd probably take a hit from that. Not to mention that i despise not being able to see my surroundings in a game, and much like some of the LW2 missions and HoT missions which have caves that dont allow you to have light, i disliked them the most.

Fog is no FPS killer. Basic fog is very easy to render and has been used for many years as trick to improve performance:

1. Introduce distance fog to area.
  2. Do not draw distant objects invisible due to the fog.
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@Dante.1763 said:Negative, also sounds like a FPS killer, even with my computer as it is itd probably take a hit from that. Not to mention that i despise not being able to see my surroundings in a game, and much like some of the LW2 missions and HoT missions which have caves that dont allow you to have light, i disliked them the most.

Fog is no FPS killer. Basic fog is very easy to render and has been used for many years as trick to improve performance:
  1. Introduce fog to area.
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

If its done that way, sure, but most games do not do that anymore at least among the ones ive played with heavy fog(Looking at you Fallout), and neither does GW2 when it comes to stuff like the sandstorm out in Drytop, i dont see Fog functioning any differently than that would.

@Dante.1763 said:

3. ???
  4. Profit!

If its done that way, sure, but most games do not do that anymore at least among the ones ive played with heavy fog(Looking at you Fallout), and neither does GW2 when it comes to stuff like the sandstorm out in Drytop, i dont see Fog functioning any differently than that would.

Yes, but that is a sandstorm, with particle wind effects. That is much heavier. Of course, fog can also be made as particle effects, with many local patches of fog, moving and rendered individually. This is heavier on FPS and can reduce performance. But not for simple range based fog.

Even very old games with software rendering could render fog just fine.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

3. ???
  4. Profit!

Yes, but that is a sandstorm, with particle wind effects. That is much heavier. Of course, fog can also be made as particle effects, with many local patches of fog, moving and rendered individually. This is heavier on FPS and can reduce performance. But not for simple range based fog.

Im not denying that and we are effectively talking in circles now. I do not see fog functioning well in GW2, with how they have done similar things in the past, regardless of what older games have done, and what is theoretically possible. Terrain does not de-render in this game when its obscured by things, it only does so on my rig at least when im very far away from objects.

IMO: i dont want a map thats covered in fog, that hides from everything view. I want to see my surroundings, i want to know whats there, I dont want to be walking around and fall off a cliff because i cant see whats going on, or run into a wall constantly, thats not fun to me, and neither is having mobs attack me when i have no idea whats around me.

Archived