Are there too many WvW Maps for players to maintain?

Zushada.6108

I have noticed that there are occasionally queues for EBG in the evening (EDT) but never for any other map with the exception of Friday after reset where our Home BL will get a queue. So I am curious to know if people think we have too many maps to maintain? Also should Anet reduce the number of maps down to 2 (for example) yet expand the number of players per map?

Thanks for your comments!

Too many maps? Nope I don't see that by any stretch. One for each server and the battle grounds... not sure how that can be too many.. if anything, not enough imo at those times when queues are so large.... but that was what eotm was supposed to be before it died a painful death due to bad everything. It should have been another 3 way server battle map and not a 3 way mega-server pve type garbage map. imo.. :P

Theoretically, around the clock, yes. The issue is simply because is 24 hours and realistically not possible to balance, just at best minimize the differences with authoritarian methods.

However, for EST prime time, I think it isn't a issue of lack of population but rather, imbalance population distribution.

@Israel.7056 said:

@Israel.7056 said:First get rid of Desert BL.

The one map where gliding is actually useful and different terrain that's not just boring uneven ground? No ty.

Gliding can be useful on every map. You like looking at sand?

The one map where gliding is actually useful and different terrain that's not just boring uneven ground? No ty.

Oh yeah I love tripping over tree roots and rocks every 10 ft, that's fun.

Still better than having 2012 era textured trees and white green ground with nothing else on them. You can easily auto walk over more than half the map, if you get stuck you're not trying.

Desert BL is a far better map than EBG or the alpine BL. Fight me.

Yeah, it takes slightly longer to run places, but unlike alpine, you regularly get fights that are far enough away from objectives and walls that you're not fighting under arrow carts all the time and your opponents can't run to the safety of a portal every few feet.

There is a desert BL?! Do you mean to tell me that there is something beyond the walls of SMC? :open_mouth:

For real, though, it's not that there's too many maps. There aren't enough active players for the number of tiers. No idea if EU is the same way, but NA's population isn't great outside of primetime, and even then it's rare to have non-reset queues on 2 or more maps.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:I'd say it'd be a server specific issue, as over here we don't have that kind of a problem.....

if they could improve infrastructure to support more players per map I'd be all for it

but it's FUN D:

Players love eb and alpine since they can run quickly into some owned strucutre... in DBL they need to commit more if fight happens.

That's why players hate DBL in 1st place....

Two points:

• Alliances will allow dynamic world generation to manage average populations. That helps to fill maps (or avoid excessive queues).
  • All maps would require a more generic 3-way design in order to dynamically increase/decrease them during a matchup (such as there only being 2 maps when the WvW population is low and 4 maps when the WvW population is high). This wont happen without MAJOR redesign and something that would take Anet years to do.

So its not gonna change.

I'm not sure what the salt is about with Desert BL. Yes, it has its problems, but design-wise I think its a very interesting map that breaks up zergs, which, to me is definitely a welcome change to the Alpine monotony of zergs.

I think 3 maps is fine. Granted I mostly play NA prime, so I dont really feel this lack of coverage, other than what the scoreboards reflect.

@Strages.2950 said:I'm not sure what the salt is about with Desert BL. Yes, it has its problems, but design-wise I think its a very interesting map that breaks up zergs, which, to me is definitely a welcome change to the Alpine monotony of zergs.

I think 3 maps is fine. Granted I mostly play NA prime, so I dont really feel this lack of coverage, other than what the scoreboards reflect.

Well first of all it's way too big, second the keep lords are complete aids, third the color palette gives me a migraine.

@Israel.7056 said:

@Strages.2950 said:I'm not sure what the salt is about with Desert BL. Yes, it has its problems, but design-wise I think its a very interesting map that breaks up zergs, which, to me is definitely a welcome change to the Alpine monotony of zergs.

Well first of all it's way too big, second the keep lords are complete aids, third the color palette gives me a migraine.

And none of the objectives have any strategic value. At least on EBG/BL's the towers can be used to launch attacks on the other structures.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Still better than having 2012 era textured trees and white green ground with nothing else on them. You can easily auto walk over more than half the map, if you get stuck you're not trying.

I'm playing wvw not a park simulator, fighting other players not the environment, I'd go to pve if I wanted that.

Ah, but a sizable chunk of the remaining player base DOES like flipping empty stuff on unpopulated maps.I'm fairly sure if we closed up the tiers enough to populate all maps these people would quickly disappear.

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Still better than having 2012 era textured trees and white green ground with nothing else on them. You can easily auto walk over more than half the map, if you get stuck you're not trying.

I'm playing wvw not a park simulator, fighting other players not the environment, I'd go to pve if I wanted that.

Ah, but a sizable chunk of the remaining player base DOES like flipping empty stuff on unpopulated maps.I'm fairly sure if we closed up the tiers enough to populate all maps these people would quickly disappear.

Yeah, unfortunately, and it's making the game really boring.

Archived