Promoting Less Toxicity

saerni.2584

@Vieux P.1238 said:Why? Peeps that can't handle being insulted just keep on reporting & getting the toxicaters banned. Seems to be fine.

Always better to use the carrot than the stick. Having a stick might be essential, but that doesn't mean we should prefer it.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:If you want less toxicity, you need even matches and good balance.

Other games have better reputations for matchmaking, and more toxic players than GW2. I don't believe that this is actually the root cause of the problem.

@mindcircus.1506 said:If you think a system like this in GW2 wouldn't be gamed you are kidding yourself.

That is always what I think will be the key problem with this strategy.

@Hoodie.1045 said:A similar system would be nice to have in PvP. If a veteran helps out a new player in the PvP lobby, the veteran should be rewarded.Sadly, then many will begin to help only for the reward, not any primary desire to actually help out, resulting in the quality of help diminishing and in the long run arguably making the community worse. There are many precedents of this in the real world.

No, those that help are happy to help, they don't need any extra incentive to do so.Similarly so those that are toxic will almost always find a way to be toxic, it's sadly in their nature/personality for whatever reason.

As to gaming the system I’m not sure the system should grant higher rewards to players. If there is no benefit then gaming it would be a waste.

I’m happy if people are motivated by a reward of being marked as helpful or leaders. That’s good even if they wouldn’t have been as helpful without the reward.

Ultimately, developing a good community isn't about making toxic players good. It’s about making neutral people more likely to be helpful and constructive.

It would help if the matchmaking was better I dont care what anyone says it sucks. Im no pro usually about 1500MMR range and when I complain sometimes you can't believe how often someone tells me they are completely new to the game they didn't understand what they are doing is wrong. Starting MMR of 1200 is a gigantic problem. Beginners should start out at the beginning which would be Bronze 1 MMR.

@brannigan.9831 said:It would help if the matchmaking was better I dont care what anyone says it sucks. Im no pro usually about 1500MMR range and when I complain sometimes you can't believe how often someone tells me they are completely new to the game they didn't understand what they are doing is wrong. Starting MMR of 1200 is a gigantic problem. Beginners should start out at the beginning which would be Bronze 1 MMR.

It takes around 7-9 matches for someone to get within 5 percent of their real MMR. If a player starts at 1200, and isn't good enough, they will rapidly drop. The only way this could be a constant problem would be for there to be a constant influx of new players, which doesn't sound so much like a disaster to me. ;)

Archived