A P/P thief with zerk gear should first learn Daredevil or Deadeye, and why?

Lorinser.1508

Am on the same boat as the thread starter. Am currently doing p/p and rifle DE cause i love guns but they suck at open world with no aoe at all. Would love to main rifle but p/p seems to just provide more dps than the rifle. I just sometimes switch rifle with sb for aoe. Any tips for current traits and build for p/p DE? Thanks.

I'd go for daredevil. There's some good traits in that line and if you get bored of p/p you can switch to a good melee ddevil for a change.

Deadeye initiative refilling happens via eating up your Malice with Mercy, but you're still effectively dismissing the deadeye core mechanic in all its glory. Plus you now have a mandatory skill in your utility bar.

Daredevil for more mobility and deadeye for...well, initiative.But i do enjoy p/p daredevil. It strange, weak but so fun through.For open world, i lean toward deadeye more, but like soloja.7920 said, daredevil would give you more versitile option.You can run p/p and staff or p/p and sword/dagger.

@Lorinser.1508 said:

@Synstylae.2751 said:You should learn D/P daredevil and nothing else. Because nothing else is worth the trouble.

He Said that he is doing pve stuff.. so D/D Daredevil or staff Daredevil ^^

Is the dmg difference between a P/P Daredevil and Deadeye huge? Or is it just an initiative thing?

Initiative is damage, especially on P/P where its only damage is on Unload. In PvE (since mobs don't evade/negate hits guaranteeing the init refresh on Unload), Deadeye can basically infinitely spam Unload due to the M7 trait. Unload has one of the highest skill coefficients anywhere on thief, and self-caps might.

P/P Daredevil is absolutely better for the PvP formats against a more skilled opponent just because it has so much better sustain/stealth options within the P/P kit itself.

What I ended up doing is Daredevil for PvE and Deadeye for WvW. Staff P/P is incredibly simple, and works for just about everything Openworld will throw at you. Tagging with staff is stupid easy as well..... just Hold 1, while running forward, and have Bandit's Defense and Fist Flurry for when you bump into a Vet or higher. And of course Impac strike for heavy CCs. Taking Bounding Dodger, while tempting, is kind of a waste outside of raids, since Unhindered combatant just gets you around the event area so much faster (for even more tags). And if the area gets too hot, you just swap to P/P and unload. If you take the trait for heal on Crit, you gain a lot of sustain despite a minor loss of DPS.

Deadeye isn't really made for PvP and WvW with how is single target damage is geared toward infrequent spikes, but has terrible sustain overall. This was further cemented with the change to Malice...... making the entire set of mechanics difficult to mesh on any fight other then Bounties and the occasional Super Vet (like Djinn or Hydra). DareDevil staff just offers too much basic damage and cleave to wanna take Rifle for general purpose PvE.

If you are in P/P and want that as a weaponset due to style , whether you choose DE over DD is tied to other traitlines taken and how often you expect to be in p/p as a percentage of gameplay.

As example if in p/p with s/x off hand I much prefer DE as I am taking Acro and Acro gives me a lot of the stuff I would want out of DD in any case. This gives me excellent ranged burst with the ability to escape (don't stop , swiftness on dodge) along with all of that added INI out of the DE line. A weapon swap to the s/x set with might stacked and the ability to port to is an excellent finisher to an engagement.

In open world PVE , DE rocks with that INI and especially if you use P/P with s/p along with a traited SOM + IP. The combination of Unload at range for incoming health fueled by all that ini as damage pumped out , along with an S/p Pistol whip might stacked with cleave will keep your health at full through much of a fight. In this type of the added INI DE provides not only means more damage output , it also means more heals coming in.

I think that as far as INI goes ANY weapon set that has "bonuses" due to INI expenditure can be leveraged so as to make that spent INI give a larger payback. By this I mean there certain weapon skills uses that give us a Boon or apply a condition on use which is added to the damage of the attack itself. More INI in P/P means more Might and Vuln. More INI in s/d means more swiftness, condi cleanse and ports. More INI in rifle means more swiftness/cripple might and so on. If you are able to glean more of this from the weapons chosen then you can more freely shift around the traits and utilities you take in the rest of the build. This one reason I tend to lean more to DE over DD in my own builds.

Archived