In your opinion, how do the professions rank in viability across all game modes?

Zexanima.7851

The reason I ask is because I was playing warrior since they seem to be the 'most viable across all modes'. However their playstyle doesn't click with me, I some how feel squishy in open world pve even with SB(unless I build defensively, which I never had to do on other classes). So I'm trying to figure out what would be my next best choice. About the only content I don't do is Raids, so the profession doesn't necessarily have to be good at that.EDIT: It might make a little more sense if I mention that I'm a returning player so I have experience with most of the professions I just don't have a feel yet for current balance.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:No, some classes are more viable in game modes than others.

Viable is really just a minimum bar: is this class good enough to complete the content? You don't usually consider it as a range; you are completely right, though, if you change "more viable" to "better". Individual builds and classes absolutely have strengths and weaknesses that differ between them.

To the fundamental question, @"Zexanima.7851", all classes are viable. Raiding is the most "we must run the meta or dieeee" area of the game, since apparently people doing it with half the expected number of players isn't convincing proof that you don't actually need that...

Isn't it the mesmer which is the most ciable across all gamemode at the moment?

However, all in all, I'd still recommend to play the profession that you enjoy the most in regard of gameplay. Some gameplay fit more some players than other and it's an important point to take into account.

Mesmer and Guardian probably have the most variety of builds, which would put them near the top, however playstyles (and gear) are as different as learning another profession at times.

Revenant and Engineer would be near bottom (as much as I love rev).

Other profs generally all viable, with 1 game mode exception, e.g. good individual performance but lack of team support.

Opinions may differ!!

PvP:

1. Mesmer
  2. Necro
  3. Warrior
  4. Thief
  5. Guardian
  6. Engineer
  7. Ranger
  8. Ele
  9. Revenant

PvE:

1. Mesmer
  2. Ele
  3. Ranger
  4. Warrior
  5. Guardian
  6. Thief
  7. Revenant
  8. Engineer
  9. Necro

Wvw (zerging):

1. Necro
  2. Warrior
  3. Guardian
  4. Revenant
  5. Ele
  6. Mesmer
  7. Engineer
  8. Ranger
  9. Thief

Wvw (roaming):

1. Mesmer
  2. Warrior
  3. Thief
  4. Engineer
  5. Ranger
  6. Guardian
  7. Revenant
  8. Ele
  9. Necro

(This is all personal opinion)

@Kako.1930 said:PvP:-snip-

I disagree with your placement of necro on the bottom of PvE, because the fact remains that scourge is still good condi damage, and epidemic will always mean necro is relevant. The more necros you add to a team, the more powerful they become for this reason.

I'd also place engineer below ranger in zerging WvW. In zergs, engineer really doesn't get to do much.

But otherwise I agree with most of your assessment.

Guardian is a good solid all around class, never first place in anything, but always a solid class to do any content with.

However, I run an engineer flame thrower with the juggernaut trait for HoT due to the massive amount of Knock Backs that content has, and given how tightly compacted everything is, the AOE of flame thrower really shines.

I use a ranger for PoF, given the wide open spaces which makes ranged builds shine.

As others have said tho.. some builds/classes shine in various content.

I will rate top performers based on elite:

SPvP top tier:MirageScourgeHoloSBFB support

SPvP viable:Ranger BM, DruidCore guardian and DH (kinda)ChronoThief core and DDPower heraldReaper (kinda)Weaver scepter burst build

There a couple other builds that are okayish, but I would not recommend.

PvE fractals/Open world:Any class capable of 30k. Weaver, chrono, mirage, scourge, BM, holo, DD, DE, DH, FB, SB and berserker. I did not include renegade due to the long buildup and limited open world viability.

Thanks to anet blanket nerf to all condi builds in Nov of last year, outside of raids very few condi builds have any viability. In open world, I would not recommend any condi builds except mirage, scourge and FB (ranger maybe).

WvW, scourge is significantly out performing in zergs and mirage in roaming.

If you like Mesmer, they have multiple top tier builds in every game mode.

Archived