No Downed State = No Gate Repair

vincentx.3180

Anyone who's defended a structure knows the first thing the enemy does is put a million AOE rings on the gate that extend into the structure. If you "might" die trying to repair a gate that has a ton of aoe rings, why would WANT to try to repair it?! If your buddies cant help you rally after suffering massive condition over time dmg who wants to go near the gate? That would mean potential siege operators dying too fast. Unless they want to make a major programming change and stop AOE rings from extending through gates, gate repair is history and that sort of defeats the whole purpose. The same argument applies to the built in wall siege (canons, mortars) -- who wants to be operating one when you can be easily be conditioned bombed (which is currently the case) with NO chance of surviving by a friendly player helping you out? I think along with shield gens used offensively, this is just another blow to the ability to defend structures which to me is one of the unique aspects of Guildwars 2 wvw vs just having a giant "free for all" pvp space ...

I don't know why people think that they would permanently change a core mechanic of gw2 without making any needed changed whatsoever elsewhere.

Such a knee jerk mentality on these forums. Is scapper going to be left useless if this were implemented? No. Would siege be left unchanged with this being permanent? Probably not. This is actually probably the one change to wvw that would allow for heavy handed nerfs to siege especially arrow carts. As long as you can just pick someone up the moment they down arrow carts are not overpowered. But if you can no longer do so you could easily see both fire rate and -50% damage nerfs to acs. Get down there and fight if the siege isn't working.

And i mean repairing a gate hasn't been viable for a hell of a long time if you don't know how to do without getting instagibbed. That's a core issue of wvw not one brought on suddenly this week. Sure could your ranger/necro buddy pick you up from range? yeah. But why make it an issue now when it's not the fault of the event.

@"vincentx.3180" said:Anyone who's defended a structure knows the first thing the enemy does is put a million AOE rings on the gate that extend into the structure. If you "might" die trying to repair a gate that has a ton of aoe rings, why would WANT to try to repair it?! If your buddies cant help you rally after suffering massive condition over time dmg who wants to go near the gate? That would mean potential siege operators dying too fast. Unless they want to make a major programming change and stop AOE rings from extending through gates, gate repair is history and that sort of defeats the whole purpose. The same argument applies to the built in wall siege (canons, mortars) -- who wants to be operating one when you can be easily be conditioned bombed (which is currently the case) with NO chance of surviving by a friendly player helping you out? I think along with shield gens used offensively, this is just another blow to the ability to defend structures which to me is one of the unique aspects of Guildwars 2 wvw vs just having a giant "free for all" pvp space ...

well if you asked that question in-game at wvw you'd probably get yelled at for wasting supplies on repairing fortification under fire. what is more efficient in the long run to do is pushing away assaulters first and then repair the gate - combat repairing only may make sense when you are trying to buy time for reinforcements to arrive.

Archived