Back to Guild Wars 2 - Tips wanted

Hey all,

I've come back to Guild Wars 2 after a long while, 4 years in total. My Last event I attended was the Living World event of the Queens Jubilee? Or Tournament? Was pretty decent, sadly I've missed a lot of Lore and other things. I've been playing for the last month but still trying to catch up currently completed Personal Story, Living World Season 1, Heart of Thorns, and now working on the Living world Season 2.

Other than Story, I'd really like some help finding some quicker ways to level up in order to upgrade my Masteries. At present, for Central Tyria, I've just been doing world exploration, and events, same with Heart of Thorns. Path of Fire has been a combination of Story and exploration. Is there anything I am missing that could help me level faster?

Sounds like you're doing the right stuff, but if you've been collecting materials without selling them much, you might want to do some crafting, which is good for a few levels. If you're not picky what crafting disciplines you do, you might want to consider artificer and chef, just because the items (potions/foods) you make will give you 10% boosts on kills.If you're not interested in that, you can get foods and potions cheaply enough from the Trading Post. Some of the Halloween foods give you a 15% XP boost on kills. It might not sound like a lot, but it adds up if you remember to keep using them.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I've done my Crafting both Weaponsmith and Armorsmith till 500. I have been wracking up some of those boosts from Birthday bonuses etc, should remember to use them. I feel it's taking a bit more time than i can put into GW2 which is a shame because I love the game at the moment. >.<

Completing two zones has literally only given me half a level, and thats including with some events in-between. I figured I was doing something wrong. Hopefully it picks up.

Do you know what the state of WvW is? I've not gone into a game yet since I have been back but it was brilliant when I left! :D

@Zeike.7469 said:Other than Story, I'd really like some help finding some quicker ways to level up in order to upgrade my Masteries. At present, for Central Tyria, I've just been doing world exploration, and events, same with Heart of Thorns. Path of Fire has been a combination of Story and exploration. Is there anything I am missing that could help me level faster?

You could do events, world PvE events where you gather with commanders and fighting world bosses (Shadow Behemoth being an example). In general, anything that gives you experience will help you to reach the maximum amount required for you to use mastery points in order to level up your mastery rank.

Welcome back to Guild Wars 2!

A lot has changed since you have last been on. Living World Season 2, Season 3 and two episodes of Season 4 have been released, as well as two expansions.

Do you have laurels? You can get experience boosters from the laurel merchant. They are 30-minute boosters, but at 1 laurel each, and making the most of killing mobs and finishing events, they are a good way of granting the extra experience you'll need. Also, food and utility items -- do not underestimate these. Not only will you get benefits to your stats, but an upwards of 25% bonus exp per kill is worth it.

Another thing to note: yellow (passive) mobs. Often these are ignored. Mobs that haven't been slain for a while generate "exploration bonus" until they get killed.

For Path of Fire: do bounties. Not only will you get experience, but also coin, karma and other currency as well as sweet loot. For Heart of Thorns: participate in the metas. For Central Tyria: world bosses, Current Events, Orr sequences, Dry Top and Silverwastes --- and dailies, dailies, dailies! These will net you quite a bit of experience per event*.

(*For world bosses and events in places not Level 80, rewards will be upscaled to your level.)

Oh awesome, I did not know that! Thank you. Currently doing Mastery hunting on Central Tyria, Completed my personal story, Living world season 2, and Heart of Thorns. Done a bit of Path of fire but want to complete Season 3 first.

One thing you should remember when it comes to doing the experience for the masteries, is that durations for food, boosters, etc. do not tick down if your character is not being used. Those durations will only continue to tick down once you start using the character again. Keep that in mind if you need to take the occasional break. :)

I learned that just a few days ago, had a heroic booster, and thought needed to be on for the 2 hours. Haha. Though, with all the Mastery points available are they exactly the amount you need, so in other words, in order to get all of Central Tyria Masteries, I need to do everything that offers a central Tyria Mastery point? Or is there more than available to use?

I see a lot for the Heart of thorns, and I am dreading doing all of that haha. Currently at 56 Masteries, I think the maximum is 262 correct?

There are more mastery points available than you need to use :) There's an excess tied to various achievements and stuff, so you can take your pick of which you want to do. This applies for core, HoT and PoF mastery points.

Yes, the max mastery level you can get is 262, but some of those points are tied to raids masteries. If you're not intending on doing raids, then your cap will be lower, about 254 or something (I can't remember).

There is a surplus of points in all categories, but I find Core to be hardest - at least for me who don't play fractals to any large extent.

So make sure to prioritize your point spending within Core - start with maxing Pact Commander; follow with wichever of Legendary Crafting or Fractals you expect to use more/soonest.

If you expect to play a decent amount of fractals, you should likely prioritize that, since fractals will also give you further points.

Thanks so much for the info guys this makes things far more easier to manage. I've really been enjoying GW2 since I've been back. I'd like to dabble more into raiding, WvW and give Fractals a try.

I have touched on raiding, but when it comes to builds I'm clueless, and I dislike that there is a meta. I prefer being able to make my own decisions to match my play-style and progress equally as good as any meta classes or specs. I'm sure though that will come with time. Currently I main a Warrior, Beserker now. This was my first character, but I much prefer the play-style.

@Zeike.7469 said:Thanks so much for the info guys this makes things far more easier to manage. I've really been enjoying GW2 since I've been back. I'd like to dabble more into raiding, WvW and give Fractals a try.

I have touched on raiding, but when it comes to builds I'm clueless, and I dislike that there is a meta. I prefer being able to make my own decisions to match my play-style and progress equally as good as any meta classes or specs. I'm sure though that will come with time. Currently I main a Warrior, Beserker now. This was my first character, but I much prefer the play-style.

Find a guild or a static. Meta builds only matter to pugs since they can't tell you from a hole in the ground, and probably trusts said hole more than they do you.

I will point one thing out, though: the Silverwastes tyria mastery points in regards to the legendary Mordrem is a huge lesson in patience. If you spot an advertisement for RIBA in LFG, join. Chances of getting one will be moderately higher, because the trains will always focus on keeping the four bases up and they will most likely be Tier 3.

It's still at the whim of RNGesus that you'll get the leg mordy you're trying to kill, though.

So, I've done the Silver Wastes one, like those you explore. I take it this means the events in the area correct? I've done a few I need to check exactly how much I've completed, but yeah I will need to check that!

Again thanks so much.

Archived