Keep No Downed State?

Tic Tac Toe.1482

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just came back to the game after a break and noticed the no downed state feature as part of the event. This is a great addition and hope this eventually becomes a permanent addition to wvw. Downed state has always been awkward in wvw as 9/10 times it means you're dead anyway, and it usually benefits the larger group because they have more people to rez which just encourages zerging.

Also some classes definitely have better downed skills than others which has always been annoying to deal with for some classes. I sincerely hope that downed state is permanently removed from wvw, it works ok in pve and pvp but tends to be abused in wvw.

Even in PVP it really has it's problems. You can just poke them to keep them from being able to self res and keep them dead for much longer while you just sit and cap a point. That 10-30 seconds or so before they can even wait to re spawn can really be devastating to the team in a close match. WVW needs no down state. Makes it fun to roam on burst builds again. :-D

Small scale fights are a lot more fun without the downed state but when it comes to zerg fights... They are over too quickly.

If they want to keep it this way then they'll have to reduce the damage output of all professions, change traits, passives and all that nonsense to make it somewhat balanced.

No downed state would have been fine before Heart of Thorns, the damage wasn't as ridiculous back then. If they did a big balance patch for the game (which I highly doubt), then they could remove downed state from the game.

Edit: As far as PvP goes: Remove downed state. I believe it would reinvigorate pvp. (Along with more game modes!)

They would need to rework a lot of traits, utilities, class features.That said, so far I'm really enjoying this week. The fights seem much quicker paced.Elementalists not being able to vapor form into structures also makes me all kinds of happy.

~ Kovu

@coglin.1496 said:I could support this notion, but I enjoy the scrapper, and untill they adjust the elite specs actual function specialization, I cannot support this.

I mean I wouldn't expect them to remove a core mechanic of the game from 2012 without alot of balance changes and reworks. This is the chance for wvw to finally see those heavy handed siege nerfs theyve been wanting. Want to see acs get -50% damage? Well it could be on the table since no down state allows for defenders to viably whittle down larger assaulting forces without siege. Before going into a zerg ball was always a bad idea because even if you get a down they are instantly back up. Now fights move and are fluid.

nope. they would have to rework so many runes, traits, utilities and classes in general, they have to massively tone down damage too, cause atm u can just be instagibbed. other mmorpgs have a much slower paced combat generally. but in wvw heck even in pvp u can sometimes be down before u even have time to react due to either lag or shitty animations or just u bieng pre-occupied with something else happening in the battle. people are already complaining about powercreep and rightfully so. if this was a more balanced game I woulda given it a chance. Also downstate offers a new mechanic players have to deal with. I honestly never saw how downstate was synonymous with skill less, there is enough cleave to punish reshes and they are skills that allow for insta stomps or rock gazelle launch stomps. Honestly. downstate is fine. If u decide to go outnumbered roaming u should accept that the odds are heavily stacked against u. and that ''bad'' players in numbers will overcome one or fewere good players. there is nothing wrong with that. espically since u also have tools or they are traits available to punish ressing. people that do outnumbered still win thier outnumbered fights even with downstate. tons of vids proving that. for those that whine about bads qq'ing. they sure as hell sound entitled, demaninding an easier time winning outnumbered. if u decide to go rambo u deal with the ramifications.

Zerging or hording in large groups is a natural thing to do and aren't nessiarily skillles. there is a reason u have a distinction between good and bad commanders.

It's so boring tbf. It may be fun in smaller skirmishes, but when you just onepush groups it's absolutely dull. People say it allows those who are outnumbered to outskill opponents: on the opposite side, it allows good players to just press their W keys and end the fight super quick.

As fun as killing 10 people with a bomb instantly is, it's really dull when it ends the fight over and over and over..

@Kovu.7560 said:They would need to rework a lot of traits, utilities, class features.

That is true, and we know already how long it takes for normal balance to occur (whether it becomes balanced depends what side of the fence one is on). I think we should just take it for exactly what it is, a week/ly event that Anet gave us. Just goof off and enjoy the week.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:They would need to rework a lot of traits, utilities, class features.That said, so far I'm really enjoying this week. The fights seem much quicker paced.Elementalists not being able to vapor form into structures also makes me all kinds of happy.

~ Kovu

There are eles in wvw?

Yes.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:They would need to rework a lot of traits, utilities, class features.

That is true, and we know already how long it takes for normal balance to occur (whether it becomes balanced depends what side of the fence one is on). I think we should just take it for exactly what it is, a week/ly event that Anet gave us. Just goof off and enjoy the week.

Also yes.

~ Kovu

Keep it permanent. The downed state is a crutch. Don't die, there is the answer. What other game has a "downed state"? it's ludicrous and always was. It has always been my main complaint about GW2. The downed state is just not a good game mechanic. It totally favors zergs with numbers. Period.

i would like if they keep it.as a roamer the downed state for me is useless anyway. if i get downed its game over most of the time.no downed state spares me some seconds to get back in action after i died and makes 1vsX situations easier.

and if i run across a blobfight i can contribute as a roamer by picking off some individuals in the enemys blob that stay not close enough to the commander tag or to punish those greedy ones that run forward to throw some aoe into the other blob get downed and rezzed then by their comrades :3

of course it would need many changes to keep it that way. but i would really appreciate if it could stay like this.i mean anet could also bring back the rezz signet from gw1 as utility skill for all classes for those who are afraid of too short fights.

The problem with polls like this is that the "controversial" option is always on condition of stuff we dont know. In this case the entire class balance, dozens of skills, runes etc would have to be changed and we dont know how they would change. Everyone has their own ideas. Thats why I will vote no, just like I did with DBL which almost ended killing WvW because people thought it would be perfectly fine for all 3 borders to be DBL for months.

There's nothing worse than being downed, worst feature ever. Downed state should never existed in a PvP game mode, though could be fine in PvE.

Some skills need to be tweaked, but they do, even with or without down state: high damage burst in short time combos replaced with lower damage but also lower cooldown versions, so the time to kill allows enough time to react and counter, especially being a laggy online game.Also commanders need some sort of extra protection, like 100% more hitpoints if squad size is at least 16 for example.

Archived