Improve Ranger Pet AI

LUNARIIBOY.9816

So i recently decided to pick up my max level ranger and actually play around with him. I got all the pets maxed all the specs and i can honestly say thats its a really fun class. It has become my main as of late and im considering sticking with him at least till the next expac. But only thing that bothers me slightly is the ranger pet's ai. Sometimes it runs too fast and teleports back to me. Other times ill click F2 for its special ability and it will ran past the target until i spam it some more.

Some abilities (like the fire wyvern F2 for example) are just amazing to use with awesome effects. Others feel clunky. Is it just me having these problems?The pet system overall as a concept has so much potential to be literally mindblowing. Now that the game is constantly improving, i really would like to see the ai of ranger pets and the pets themselves get reworked or at least balanced, so that more pets can become worth picking, and their abilities become unique and gamechanging.

I played Warhammer Online, and there are two proper pet classes, the White Lion and the Squig Herder. When not engaging a target, the pets are actually anchored to you.

I think we should add conveniences to pet control such as anchoring in passive mode, follow command forcing pet teleport to you in 1-2 seconds, increased range or small teleport to target for autos, pet buff visibility, and damage reduction to pet in PvE/WvW while in follow.

@kharmin.7683 said:No, it's not you. There are many threads in this sub-forum about this.Good to know that other people feel like this but at the same time it’s kinda sad. Tbh I don’t care for damage buffs, I just want a pet to do something that I wouldn’t be able to do without it. Sometimes I even forget I have them.

I think we should add conveniences to pet control such as anchoring in passive mode, follow command forcing pet teleport to you in 1-2 seconds, increased range or small teleport to target for autos, pet buff visibility, and damage reduction to pet in PvE/WvW while in follow.Definitely. Especially after that awakened minion control mission got such positive feedback, I find it hard to believe they still haven’t made any adjustments to the way we control our pets.

No, it's not you. There are many threads in this sub-forum about this.Good to know that other people feel like this but at the same time it’s kinda sad. Tbh I don’t care for damage buffs, I just want a pet to do something that I wouldn’t be able to do without it. Sometimes I even forget I have them.

I think we should add conveniences to pet control such as anchoring in passive mode, follow command forcing pet teleport to you in 1-2 seconds, increased range or small teleport to target for autos, pet buff visibility, and damage reduction to pet in PvE/WvW while in follow.Definitely. Especially after that awakened minion control mission got such positive feedback, I find it hard to believe they still haven’t made any adjustments to the way we control our pets.

@AntonyGW.6103 said:Good to know that other people feel like this but at the same time it’s kinda sad. Tbh I don’t care for damage buffs, I just want a pet to do something that I wouldn’t be able to do without it. Sometimes I even forget I have them.

Definitely. Like Polar Bear for example. An AOE chill + damage on a 45-second cooldown. I don't want a damage buff or a cooldown reduction for it since there are many ways a Ranger can deal damage and chill foes, but I'd love to see its Icy Roar being unique like encasing foes in a block of ice to justify the long cooldown.

Likewise if Sand Lion's F2 provided allies with a barrier instead of being a lesser Sandstorm.

@Wondrouswall.7169 said:

@AntonyGW.6103 said:Good to know that other people feel like this but at the same time it’s kinda sad. Tbh I don’t care for damage buffs, I just want a pet to do something that I wouldn’t be able to do without it. Sometimes I even forget I have them.

Definitely. Like Polar Bear for example. An AOE chill + damage on a 45-second cooldown. I don't want a damage buff or a cooldown reduction for it since there are many ways a Ranger can deal damage and chill foes, but I'd love to see its Icy Roar being unique like encasing foes in a block of ice to justify the long cooldown.

Likewise if Sand Lion's F2 provided allies with a barrier instead of being a lesser Sandstorm.

Yeah, pets lack unique utility. I don't even want them to be my dmg source. They even could strip them from dmg and gave it to the ranger. More utility is what pets need.Also some customization would be fantastic so that archetype, family skill and pet skins can be combined freely in all combinatorial ways in the corresponding family.

Archived