Spent all night watching E3 Announcement Headlines and

Why exactly did you bother attending E3, it's almost as if you're not even there any way since I've seen not one mention of Arenanet. I mean I know you're all really proud of that giant Griffon sculpture you have but that's no reason to go to E3.

I'm hoping we hear some news tomorrow regarding your trip otherwise I've got to wonder why you even bothered.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:I thought they were owned by NCSoft, so why would they need or be allowed to find other partners; isn't that what business meetings in your boardrooms are for?

I think they split up late last year

They didn't. NcSoft still owns Arenanet. It used to be the game's publisher. It wouldn't surprise me if they set Anet up as it's own publisher strictly for legal reasons, but Anet is still owned fully by NcSoft. If you look at the NcSoft quarterly reports, it lists Guild Wars 2 sales as part of their income.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Why exactly did you bother attending E3, it's almost as if you're not even there any way since I've seen not one mention of Arenanet. I mean I know you're all really proud of that giant Griffon sculpture you have but that's no reason to go to E3.

I'm hoping we hear some news tomorrow regarding your trip otherwise I've got to wonder why you even bothered.

A lot of businesses meet and do business at E3. Not everything has to be about us. They are meeting perspective partners there, according to the devs themselves. They stated straight out there would be no announcements.

At any rate, exposure is always a good thing.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Why exactly did you bother attending E3, it's almost as if you're not even there any way since I've seen not one mention of Arenanet. I mean I know you're all really proud of that giant Griffon sculpture you have but that's no reason to go to E3.

A lot of businesses meet and do business at E3. Not everything has to be about us. They are meeting perspective partners there, according to the devs themselves. They stated straight out there would be no announcements.

It doesn't make sense though, ANet isn't some small indie studio that relies on Crowdfunding, people know who ANet is already and what they do.

The only thing that makes sense is they are looking for people for what they're doing next.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

It doesn't make sense though, ANet isn't some small indie studio that relies on Crowdfunding, people know who ANet is already and what they do.

The only thing that makes sense is they are looking for people for what they're doing next.

Would this be a good place to find new people if they've lost part of their team? Was wondering if that was part of the reason for the delay. Or even if they wanted to add on more for future production?

I didn't want to believe it, but given the datamined gem store stuff that could potentially last until June 26th, I wouldn't be surprised if it's August until the patch or later. Maybe something went horribly wrong and they had to start over at some point or did team restructuring halfway through. Here's to the .05% chance that we'll get a trailer on Tuesday!

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

Many people don't know who Anet is. Anet is indeed a small publisher with a single IP. You'd be surprised at how many MMO players think Guild Wars 2 is dead, just because we have very little exposure. Anet showing at E3 is something that keeps their name in the public mind. Then when they see the name on a site, or someone brings it up, it was reinforced by seeing the name at the show, That's how all advertising basically works.

They had one of the fastest selling MMOs of all time in 2012, even if they didn't any executive worth their salary knows their business and their competition so any one that's there knows they exist (and if they don't then they need to be flipping burgers).

As far as potential new gamers, they listen to influencers on Stream/youtube, they know you exist because of advertising, trailers, publicity; I'm not your average MMO consumer because I choose to keep my self informed and even I'm not impressed by the idea that they're showing up just show up buried on a list.

You know what excites me, what Zenimax and Bethesda were doing.

I love this game or I wouldn't bother showing my face around here despite the fact I rarely log in any more, this just makes my disappointment sting more.

I've got to wonder if you guys are making excuses for them at this point then how many chances do they deserve to right the ship then, that's what Season 3 was for am I right? This doesn't give me consumer confidence, I haven't spent any money in months.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:They had one of the fastest selling MMOs of all time in 2012, even if they didn't any executive worth their salary knows their business and their competition so any one that's there knows they exist (and if they don't then they need to be flipping burgers).

As far as potential new gamers, they listen to influencers on Stream/youtube, they know you exist because of advertising, trailers, publicity; I'm not your average MMO consumer because I choose to keep my self informed and even I'm not impressed by the idea that they're showing up just show up buried on a list.

I love this game or I wouldn't bother showing my face around here despite the fact I rarely log in any more, this just makes my disappointment sting more.

I've got to wonder if you guys are making excuses for them at this point then how many chances do they deserve to right the ship then, that's what Season 3 was for am I right? This doesn't give me consumer confidence, I haven't spent any money in months.

Having a talk doesn't mean introduce then to those partners.

I understand you're disappointed , but what their doing is not as nonsensical as you make it out to be.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:They had one of the fastest selling MMOs of all time in 2012, even if they didn't any executive worth their salary knows their business and their competition so any one that's there knows they exist (and if they don't then they need to be flipping burgers).

I'm not making excuses for them. But you're living in a bubble if you think this game is widely recognized by the MMO community as a thriving game, even though it is a thriving game.

Bethesda was founded in 1986. Arenanet was founded in 2000. Arenanet has two products...with expansions. Bethesda has many many more. They have products as well for both computers and consoles, making them far more widespread.

You don't need an excuse to say that a newer smaller company doesn't have the footprint of a larger more established one. You only need to look at the reality of the situation.

Anet has done remarkably well with this product and it remains one of the most successful MMOs to come out in the last decade. That doesn't mean that they need to announce things on your schedule. In fact, smart companies that are smaller wait to announce things in the holes between announcements from other companies.

That's what Rift did when it came out. It got some level of success by releasing in a slow period of game releases. Anet does the same. Because they know they can't go toe to toe with Blizzard or Final Fantasy for advertising dollars.

@Vayne.8563 said:

I'm not making excuses for them. But you're living in a bubble if you think this game is widely recognized by the MMO community as a thriving game, even though it is a thriving game.

Bethesda was founded in 1986. Arenanet was founded in 2000. Arenanet has two products...with expansions. Bethesda has many many more. They have products as well for both computers and consoles, making them far more widespread.

You don't need an excuse to say that a newer smaller company doesn't have the footprint of a larger more established one. You only need to look at the reality of the situation.

Anet has done remarkably well with this product and it remains one of the most successful MMOs to come out in the last decade. That doesn't mean that they need to announce things on your schedule. In fact, smart companies that are smaller wait to announce things in the holes between announcements from other companies.

That's what Rift did when it came out. It got some level of success by releasing in a slow period of game releases. Anet does the same. Because they know they can't go toe to toe with Blizzard or Final Fantasy for advertising dollars.

I'm talking about recognition among other companies, their direct (MMOs) and indirect competitors (MOBAs/BRs) have got to be aware of not just them but burned out dwarves like Trion and Daybreak as well. Since they claim they are looking for partners or network, their respective boards of directors know about each other even in general terms as that's just smart business.

No different than NFL teams watching tape of all 32 teams regardless of whether they play them or not or whether they're bottom feeders.

Keeping a low profile though in the wake of flash announcements will not net you new players, that's really bad marketing.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Cobra.6509 said:POF sales went well. They have some money to spend for a bit more exposure. The budget is there...what do you think Anet should do with that money ??

Not spend it to go to E3 and then keep as low a profile as possible like they're trying to duck Debt Collectors or something :)

E3 isn't just about announcing things and public advertising. If it benefits anet then it's the right move for them whether or not WE see how it's benefiting them.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

I'm talking about recognition among other companies, their direct (MMOs) and indirect competitors (MOBAs/BRs) have got to be aware of not just them but burned out dwarves like Trion and Daybreak as well. Since they claim they are looking for partners or network, their respective boards of directors know about each other even in general terms as that's just smart business.

No different than NFL teams watching tape of all 32 teams regardless of whether they play them or not or whether they're bottom feeders.

Keeping a low profile though in the wake of flash announcements will not net you new players, that's really bad marketing.

I think we can trust Anet to know whether what they are doing is good or bad marketing far, far better than anyone in the community. Im pretty certain they know exactly what they are doing

The Head of Global Marketing stated there would be no announcements; so, perhaps ArenaNet is not going to E3 for marketing.Perhaps, they are looking for new partners for payment processing, or merchandising, or servers, or any number of things that we don't consider.I'm not sure ArenaNet needs the OP's approval, or even blessing, to attend E3, and do what they deem best.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:I thought they were owned by NCSoft, so why would they need or be allowed to find other partners; isn't that what business meetings in your boardrooms are for?

I think they split up late last year

That was Nexon, not NCSoft, and strictly speaking Nexon owned a sizable, but not majority share, of NCSoft, not Arenanet.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

Actually, advertisting and making announcements against the big guys isn't likely to net you new players either. I had the same situation in advertising the business I ran for a long time. There was no way to compete with the big guys. So you don't run big sales when they do. It's a waste of advertising revenue. You get more customers when they're not advertising than when you do.

I'm 100% certain that Anet releases things specifically to not coincide with major releases from the biggest publishers. You don't waste your advertising dollars that way. In my opinion that's just bad business.

Retailing isn't a race, it's a marathon.

Archived