Why is there so much keyboard lag?

Vieux P.1238

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@"Vieux P.1238" said:I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig..so why are we suffering from keyboard lag so much? This is becoming very frustrating to the point of quiting the game.

Are you using a wireless keyboard? Wireless keyboards and mice tend to have a noticeable input lag.

hmm, well what "gaming rig" do you know of that anyone would choose a wirless keybored/mouse of a usb wired set.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@"Vieux P.1238" said:I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig..so why are we suffering from keyboard lag so much? This is becoming very frustrating to the point of quiting the game.

Are you using a wireless keyboard? Wireless keyboards and mice tend to have a noticeable input lag.

hmm, well what "gaming rig" do you know of that anyone would choose a wirless keybored/mouse of a usb wired set.

You never know as many use “gaming rig” for any PC that they game with.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig..so why are we suffering from keyboard lag so much? This is becoming very frustrating to the point of quiting the game.

No, as a gaming Rig i don't use wireless keyboard nore mouse. In fact i'm using G13 & 600 mmo mouse & keypad to game. I' don't get this problem on most games. There was a time tho when Gw2 launched & for the next 2 years that followed. you would lose the cursor do to lag. & yet the game on your screen was still going on. Just absent of the cursor. I see this less today but keyboard delay is really ramped. something that takes 1 sec to cast will take 2.5 or even 3 seconds. This is unplayable & very frustrating.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Gaming rig is a pc that you build from the ground up to specifically optimize games. From the Mother Board to graphic card. To Ram to your SSD drive. Power supply & ect..

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig..so why are we suffering from keyboard lag so much? This is becoming very frustrating to the point of quiting the game.

Gaming rig is a pc that you build from the ground up to specifically optimize games. From the Mother Board to graphic card. To Ram to your SSD drive. Power supply & ect..

my point was, if you;re going to make a gaming rig, you wouldn't also use basic wireless stuff neither. you would actually spend some money on mid/high end stuff. (wel i would anyway)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

true that, but his is his quote.

"I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig" which kinda says its actually build for gaming.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

"I got a very fast internet & one hell of a gaming rig" which kinda says its actually build for gaming.

True.

To me it seems like either the netcode or the servers aren't super optimized for PvP (see: CS:GO 64 tick matchmaking servers), but my technical knowledge is limited. Cele rifle engi with Tool Kit back in the day was a very wonky experience. Rifle 4 would sometimes make the enemy desync and the knockback effect would only show 2 seconds later, similar results with Magnet pull. Projectiles can also be wonky, like just last night I had a guy targeted but my Rapid Fire fired straight in to the ground (I could clearly see the arrow traces go down). Also, I live in NorCal and I have constant 100+ ping even though I'm pretty sure ANet's servers are on the west coast.

But there's also an intended mechanic called input buffering which queues your inputs and executes them at the end of the last action's animation. In this game the buffer window is quite large, so it can look like some actions are delayed sometimes but queuing inputs is something you can use at your advantage for combos to make sure your actions start exactly after the last one ended.

@Delweyn.1309 said:This game delay all your skills that have some cast and that's what gives you the feeling of perpetual lag.Try thief shortbow tp or dagger skill 2 as exemple.

Other than things that use a projectile, I experience no lag at all. I'm not doubting your experience, but rather, suggesting there may be something else going wrong here that causes it for you.

@eksn.7264 said:To me it seems like either the netcode or the servers aren't super optimized for PvP (see: CS:GO 64 tick matchmaking servers)

FWIW, the GW2 servers run their simulation at 25 ticks per second. I don't think it really makes that significant a difference, though, in practice. That is a maximum latency of 40ms added to whatever else is going on.

But there's also an intended mechanic called input buffering which queues your inputs and executes them at the end of the last action's animation. In this game the buffer window is quite large, so it can look like some actions are delayed sometimes but queuing inputs is something you can use at your advantage for combos to make sure your actions start exactly after the last one ended.

nod Yeah, I suspect this may be some of what is being experienced too.

@Ryan.9387 said:

@Undo.5091 said:@"eksn.7264" As far as I know, the game is currently being hosted through Amazon servers in Virginia (for NA). That could explain some of your lag.

I always heard Houston TX area.

There was a recent migration from "we own the hardware" to AWS; I'm not sure where the previous bit was, but either way, it's now hosting in AWS data centers, on AWS machines.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

I went from a crappy $150 laptop to a $600 All in One HP desktop Screen and it's a pretty good gaming rig to me, that $150 Laptop was the best PC I've owned till this one. My internet is pretty damn good too for my area but I know Australia's internet is 10x worse than some of America's worst providers.Perspective is a funny thing... 2 people telling the truth to each other but both can view the other as a liar.

As for OP: I have lag all the time but I think that's because I'm in Australia, most days I can be about 2s behind the actual fight and my PC can't render Mirages either at the moment when they spam their skills, everything is just a name plate.

Archived