Allow us to instantly switch from one mount to another

At the moment this is sometimes possible by dismounting your current mount and then quickly mounting up with your other hotkey. However it's not very consistent, it may even just be a bug.

I would like to instantly and seamlessly switch mounts, and I can't think of a single reason why we shouldn't be able to.

Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

I have my mounts hotkeyed to the numpad. When I'm on one, I just have to double-tap the key of the mount I want to switch to. First tap dismounts me and second puts me on the new mount. Takes about one second. I can't imagine getting much more instant than that.

@JDub.1530 said:Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

?

How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

@Kong.3280 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I would like to instantly and seamlessly switch mounts, and I can't think of a single reason why we shouldn't be able to.

I'd like to fly around unaided collecting gems from the clouds for spending via the gem store. Neither are likely to happen anytime soon.

Nice snarky reply. How is your absurd example even comparable to the small QoL suggestion I made?

@Sarpan.9074 said:I have my mounts hotkeyed to the numpad. When I'm on one, I just have to double-tap the key of the mount I want to switch to. First tap dismounts me and second puts me on the new mount. Takes about one second. I can't imagine getting much more instant than that.

Here's how to imagine it:

First tap doesn't dismount you.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@Sarpan.9074 said:I have my mounts hotkeyed to the numpad. When I'm on one, I just have to double-tap the key of the mount I want to switch to. First tap dismounts me and second puts me on the new mount. Takes about one second. I can't imagine getting much more instant than that.

Just not a big deal for me. I guess it is for you and that's cool. Good luck with getting them to change it.

I think everyone gets what you mean - you want to switch without dismounting. It's not going to happen. You have to dismount as a deliberate step. Not only does this make logical sense, but the game designers want you to have to make the decision to risk aggro etc. before you get to mount the new choice. Also, it's not enough of a problem to warrant any attention.

@Sarpan.9074 said:I have my mounts hotkeyed to the numpad.

Same. To switch mounts I tap the key of the desired mount twice, and off I go.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Nice snarky reply. How is your absurd example even comparable to the small QoL suggestion I made?

There's a transition from every change your character takes in game. Water to land, weapon to weapon. To by pass this it could lead to issues. As it is there are rare times I can't even go from mount to combat properly, I end up dismounted with no combat skills, requiring me to mount and dismount again. I'd say it's probably 0.05% chance, but it happens.

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Thing is guys, you already CAN instantly and seamlessly transition mounts. I'm not sure what the parameters are to make it happen, but it CAN happen.

Yeah, this. It may or may not be intended (hello, dodge-jumping), but it would be lovely to see it codified. I'll admit, the semi-random delay in changing mounts annoys me more than anything else. Sometimes I get this instant thing, sometimes I don't, and I can't for the life of me work out why. Worse, though, because of the time delays, sometimes I mistime the second "mount" click, and have to hit it again to actually get mounted. Can't just hit it three times, though, because if I do mount the second time, that'd drop me back on the ground....

The occasional delay happens when dismounting leaves you in the air, and you try to transition to a non-griffon mount. Dismounting can actually leave you up in the air a bit, and that can even be used to boost yourself up slightly. However, only the griffon can be called when not on the ground (or water's surface for the skimmer). So, you have to land your feet on the ground before remounting, thus the small delay.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@JDub.1530 said:Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

?

How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

@JDub.1530 said:

?

Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

The obvious one is by switching to the mount you're on. (Use "Jackal" key to get on the jackal, then use "Raptor" key to switch to Raptor, then use "Raptor" key again to dismount, that sort of thing.)

@Cifrer.6013 said:It's not gonna happen because people would bunny jump into the griffon and they don't want that happening. Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe that is possible with the current insta-swap stuff: it requires you to be able to dismount, and you can't dismount while in the middle of, uh, wishing you could turn to the griffin because that is a long fall, y'know?

I don't think that should change, but I also don't think it is something that'd happen because of it.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

?

The obvious one is by switching to the mount you're on. (Use "Jackal" key to get on the jackal, then use "Raptor" key to switch to Raptor, then use "Raptor" key again to dismount, that sort of thing.)

That may be A solution, but in my opinion, not a great one. I can foresee myself stumbling around swapping mounts trying to remember which of the 5 (or 6) hotkeys is the right one to dismount with.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Cifrer.6013 said:It's not gonna happen because people would bunny jump into the griffon and they don't want that happening. Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe that is possible with the current insta-swap stuff: it requires you to be able to dismount, and you can't dismount while in the middle of, uh, wishing you could turn to the griffin because that is a long fall, y'know?

I don't think that should change, but I also don't think it is something that'd happen because of it.

Right, you have to dismount to swap. If it were changed so that you could just swap while mounted it could cause issues with how the different mounts work. Even being able to dismount while airborne could prove problematic since you can mount the griffon while falling. Throw in the long glide of the skimmer, you could have some crazy combinations.

They can make the aggro go on your character even without dismounting first. They can also put a time on the same animation of changing mounts if they don't want to make it happen that fast. Moreover: since the double tapping is so easy to do, its mere existence doesn't make sense, really. IMO its not intended, but just an oversight. It should be a single tap.

Archived