Returning Player

Hello, I am a returning player.
I have not played in a very long time. I have been on WoW and then my xbox for a long spell. I think what kind of made me loose touch with GW2 was i never understood the dungeons and raids in this game. I am looking back into it now... maybe just a phase because I am tired of blizzard products and console never really hits home idk. But, I am wondering how the game is.. Is it in a good spot ?? Opinions ?? Thoughts ??

dungeons are not very popular so few play them outside of dailiesfractales are in a good spot and kinda have replaced dungeons and are updated frequentlyraids are in a good spot too but not so easy to get into as you need a better understanding of your classes meta build and elitism although there are training runsjust give it a try and maybe join a guild if pugging does not work

@Ghostz.2897 said:I think what kind of made me loose touch with GW2 was i never understood the dungeons and raids in this game. I am looking back into it now... maybe just a phase because I am tired of blizzard products and console never really hits home idk. But, I am wondering how the game is.. Is it in a good spot ?? Opinions ?? Thoughts ??

The game is definitely in a good spot, especially now. There are still players who run dungeons, mostly for dailies, but still you shouldn't have any issues finding players. For fractals and raids, there are definitely a lot of players, though I wouldn't recommend you playing them until you got the right gear, know how to play your profession and know the boss mechanics.

The game seems in a good spot to me, but it's a matter of perspective. I started playing GW2 after HoT released, and as a primarily solo open world player I've really never experienced better open world content than GW2's first expansion. PoF doesn't have the awesome events of HoT, but the maps are still good. They also did an absolutely stellar job on the mount system, which made open world just that much better! The elite specs are really cool, too!

The rest of the game, to me, is a bit of a mixed bag.

I enjoy PvP mostly due to GW2's combat system, but I could never focus entirely on PvP in this game because it has only one game mode. Serious PvP players also have legitimate complaints about class balance and the pace at which major balance issues are resolved.

WvW suffers from its own issues on top of class balance. For me, it feels inaccessible because of the server nonsense. My entire GW2 experience came after megaservers were a thing. With everything else, server doesn't matter. But if I want to play with my friends in WvW, I have to join a WvW guild. Any other guild just has people from random servers that can't play together. It's a bit of a catch-22. I'd join a WvW guild if I enjoyed WvW, but I don't enjoy WvW due to the server issue. In practice I just avoid this game mode entirely until I need a Gift of Battle.

Dungeons. These things just suck. They are chock full of time-wasting trash and puzzles and riddled with annoying bugs and just a generally inconvenient design. And they'll never change because they were dead content since before I even arrived here. I still do them with friends who are old-school dungeon runners and sometimes mess around with dungeon solos for fun, but they are just far too annoying and unrewarding for regular play, in my opinion.

Fractals. These are actually quite good. I'm not a fan of non-trinity organized PvE, but fractals are pretty enjoyable, easily accessible, and provide some much-needed progression and replay value. If you're used to bleeding edge raiding, they may not scratch that itch. But for most players, T4 and especially T4 CMs are plenty challenging.

Raids. Here's another one I pretty much avoid. I suppose the encounter design is adequate, but I just don't like the lack of defined class roles in this game mode. I enjoyed raiding in WoW a lot more, but here I think the way classes are designed lends itself well to open world play and not so well to organized PvE.

I find that for me, dabbling in a bit of everything (except WvW, until they revamp it) keeps things feeling fresh. So, that's what I do! On a given day I might hit up the dailies with a PvP match or two, do some HoT metas, maybe run a dungeon or do fractal dailies. As long as I'm not spending too much time on any one aspect of the game, I'm enjoying my time here.

@"Ghostz.2897" said:Hello, I am a returning player.

I have not played in a very long time. I have been on WoW and then my xbox for a long spell. I think what kind of made me loose touch with GW2 was i never understood the dungeons and raids in this game. I am looking back into it now... maybe just a phase because I am tired of blizzard products and console never really hits home idk. But, I am wondering how the game is.. Is it in a good spot ?? Opinions ?? Thoughts ??

Dungeons are basically stopped in time, due to technical reasons. The effort that would have gone there is targetted at Fractals instead, and I believe they are comparable in terms of difficulty and interest. Others disagree, because the variety is "which fractal you run", rather than "which path you choose once inside the dungeon".

Pugging fractals is a pretty reasonable experience. Progressing through them adds difficulty to the set of -- I think 19 -- base fractals, until you hit 100, and then a couple of challenge modes on top.

Raids are probably comparable to heroic mode WoW raids (or normal mode, if you predate the raid difficulty name inflation that added "mythic")

The community around raid is still a bit strange and immature compared to WoW, with "you must play the meta composition and builds on all 10 players" competing with "yeah, we did a five person run with only druids and took down the boss comfortably". Expect to have a raid guild, if you don't want a frustrating time. OTOH, there are plenty of raid guilds, so that part isn't too much of a thing.

Finally, GW2 is probably the most casual-friendly MMO available: because gear progression and level progression have a fixed endpoint, and ANet don't do the WoW style "eh, we just reset your power at the start of the expansion, level up again" thing, you can walk away for six months, come back, and you still have the top end gear.

OTOH, if you value gear progression as the reward for doing stuff.... ;)

Archived