Crafting?! if/when?

bbop.9706

@"bbop.9706" said:Should I bother with crafting?YesIf yes then when? While levelling or at 80?any time, gather mats at all levels as you will need a wide selection to help you level your crafting.What are the pros and cons?Pros:

• can craft ascended armor, weapons and not rely on drops (need max level crafting even if you're buying ascended gear from vendors - see Grandmaster Marks)
  • can craft unique skins (non-tradable)
  • craft unique stat combinations (also non-tradable)
  • can craft time-gated items daily (at max level) which sell for profit.
  • will need to craft certain items to complete certian collections.

Cons:

• costs to level crafting initially (depends on how much you are prepared to farm or buy really) and the items you make during the process are close to worthless.

Are crafted items account bound or character bound?Depends on individual items.How much gold does it cost to max a trade?Check the guides listed, depends on discipline (which craft) 110g minimum I think.Anything else I should know?Did you know that dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors?Thanks!

Google crafting guides - Personally used TenTonneHammer but the below is probably more up-to-date.http://gw2crafts.net/

@"bbop.9706" said:Should I bother with crafting?

If you want to, sure. There's no "should" about it either way.

If yes then when? While levelling or at 80?

Depends. You can craft gear to use as you level up if you pick the right discipline(0) to go with your class (e.g. Armorsmithing for a heavy-armour class), but it's not cheap.

What are the pros and cons?

Costs of materials, mostly. And it takes time away from doing other things. (You have to be present at the crafting stations, unlike, say, SWTOR where your companions do the crafting for you, or Allods Online where your crafting table is an item you carry in your inventory.)

Are crafted items account bound or character bound?

"Ordinary" gear of green or above is "Soulbound on Equip". Ascended gear ("pink" name) is "Account Bound on Acquire". Blue crafted gear doesn't bind.

How much gold does it cost to max a trade?

Depends on the trade. There are a few points when levelling Chef where you need ingredients that cannot be gathered, and some of them can only be bought with Karma. There are sites where you can estimate this sort of thing. In any event, no matter what the trade, it's not something you can do for 2-3 gold.

Beware: you might think that "gathered materials" will remove that cost. No. You have to buy the (consumable) gathering tools, or you have to spend gems to buy "unbreakable" ones that don't wear out.

Anything else I should know?

You are normally limited to two crafting disciplines per character unless you can find the unlocks ("Additional Crafting Licenses") in the Gem Store, in which case you can raise that to a maximum of four.

Not all gear can be crafted by conventional means. Legendary weapons require some conventional crafting (that outputs Account Bound materials, so you have to do it yourself) but also the use of the Mystic Forge. However, "first generation" legendaries can be bought for (oodles(1) of) gold on the Trading Post.

(0) Each game has its own vocabulary for this stuff. The GW2 word for crafting trades is "disciplines".

(1) The word you're looking for here is "thousands"...

Archived