Nothing World Cup Related - Not even a gem store scarf :(

Very disappointed to not see something related to the biggest sporting event in the world... yes even bigger than baseball (your not the center of the world) WORLD CUP!!!

• It happens every 4 years, could the gw2 team not made a bit of a effort, what other sporting event encapsulates the entire world on this level?Disappointment :(

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NicholaLord.2630 said:Very disappointed to not see something related to the biggest sporting event in the world... yes even bigger than baseball (your not the center of the world) WORLD CUP!!!

• It happens every 4 years, could the gw2 team not made a bit of a effort, what other sporting event encapsulates the entire world on this level?Disappointment :(

The Olympics?

@costepj.5120 said:

@NicholaLord.2630 said:Very disappointed to not see something related to the biggest sporting event in the world... yes even bigger than baseball (your not the center of the world) WORLD CUP!!!

The Olympics?

The Olympics?

Not the same level, you can google viewing figures if you wish!

You could always porganise a Keg Brawl tournament.

But yeah, the World Cup wont interest a great deal of players and has nothing to do with GW2 which doesn't even have links to the game or teams involved.> @NicholaLord.2630 said:

The Olympics?

The Olympics?

Not the same level, you can google viewing figures if you wish!

I did, and Olympics edged it (only just though)

Why would a gaming company have an item related to something completely unrelated to the game in the gemstore?Bonus: Football is not that great a sport. I'm a big MotoGP fan, don't here me yelling for a branded motorbike raptor skin do you?Plus the Fifa World Cup is a Trademark, why would Anet buy rights to use it, it's not related to Gw2.

My preference is to allow Tyria to keep its own cultures, sports, and themes and not get crossover from "our world". I know there have already been nods to pop-culture and it is what it is. But Tyria is its own world, and GW2 allows us to visit that world. We can leave the things of this world behind when visiting Tyria.

I'm pretty sure GW2 doesn't celebrate any real-world sports or events, outside of parallel-universe-type holiday celebrations. If they start, they will have to keep it up every year, and people will ask why other big events are not commemorated. ("You make a big deal out of a silly ball game, but ignore the election/royal wedding/Kentucky Derby/eruption of Vesuvius/anniversary of Woodstock/whatever.")

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Why would a gaming company have an item related to something completely unrelated to the game in the gemstore?Bonus: Football is not that great a sport. I'm a big MotoGP fan, don't here me yelling for a branded motorbike raptor skin do you?

Cash grabs..... like every other company with a foot in entertainment media. But considering the history of riots surrounding the World Cup, how many of its fans always looking for an excuse to start an argument, and MMOs being one of the few things that draw lines on cultural boundaries rather then geographic ones, how sports are now commercialized to such chronic levels that its become illegal to so much as watch it without agreeing to 12 different contracts by association, the fall of the Athlete from role model to just another tier of "celebrity", and their talents reduced to just another number on spread sheet, of a meta so desperately wanting to optimize, it spawned 2 full industries dedicated to.

I swear, every year the professional sports broadcast, and its evolving AR, is blurring with sports games that attempt to simulate real games. And guess who has the dominating license for FIFA games? Have fun with that idea for a while. :P

Traditionally GW2 has not really had many event-themed items outside of annual celebrations like Halloween/Luna New Year/Wintersday. I could be wrong but that's been the pattern I've seen.If you think about it, were there any items for the 2014 WorldCup? I don't remember any.

People saying they like or dislike football is irrelevant, the point is that no sporting competition has been considered that important (for Tyria) because it's just that, an event, not a global festival.Many other games have been able to cash in on merchandise related to current (real) world phenomena, ANet just chooses not to go down that path.

Archived