Keyboard configuration switch

I know it is not possible to have multiple ingame keyboard configurations. However, it is highly necessary when playing different professions because mechanics and utilities as well as weapon swap need to be change accordingly.Assuming we will never get this feature, is it possible to do it by manipulating files ? Or is it stored (as I think it is) in account settings (ANet servers) ?

@"Aigleborgne.2981" said:I know it is not possible to have multiple ingame keyboard configurations. However, it is highly necessary when playing different professions because mechanics and utilities as well as weapon swap need to be change accordingly.Assuming we will never get this feature, is it possible to do it by manipulating files ? Or is it stored (as I think it is) in account settings (ANet servers) ?

As far as I understand, it is stored on the ANet server, and can't be changed locally with file manipulation.

However, you could legitimately use some sort of key remapping tool to make the change. Provided you stick to "one key press is one key press", that is absolutely, completely in line with the GW2 requirements. (Just as, for example, my using a DVORAK keyboard layout with a physically QWERTY keyboard is absolutely fine.)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Aigleborgne.2981" said:I know it is not possible to have multiple ingame keyboard configurations. However, it is highly necessary when playing different professions because mechanics and utilities as well as weapon swap need to be change accordingly.Assuming we will never get this feature, is it possible to do it by manipulating files ? Or is it stored (as I think it is) in account settings (ANet servers) ?

As far as I understand, it is stored on the ANet server, and can't be changed locally with file manipulation.

However, you could legitimately use some sort of key remapping tool to make the change. Provided you stick to "one key press is one key press", that is absolutely, completely in line with the GW2 requirements. (Just as, for example, my using a DVORAK keyboard layout with a physically QWERTY keyboard is absolutely fine.)

I could do this with my keyboard using profile and remapping. But I am using many normal keys and thus, I would be unable to talk in channels. Guess I have will to remap each time I change profession, or stick to one profession.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I know it is not possible to have multiple ingame keyboard configurations. However, it is highly necessary when playing different professions because mechanics and utilities as well as weapon swap need to be change accordingly.Assuming we will never get this feature, is it possible to do it by manipulating files ? Or is it stored (as I think it is) in account settings (ANet servers) ?

I could do this with my keyboard using profile and remapping. But I am using many normal keys and thus, I would be unable to talk in channels. Guess I have will to remap each time I change profession, or stick to one profession.

I eventually gave up, and remapped all the keys to what the DVORAK keyboard sends for this very reason, yeah. Depending how often you use chat channels, though, you could have some switch to a "normal" keyboard layout for talking, and toggle back afterwards...

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I know it is not possible to have multiple ingame keyboard configurations. However, it is highly necessary when playing different professions because mechanics and utilities as well as weapon swap need to be change accordingly.Assuming we will never get this feature, is it possible to do it by manipulating files ? Or is it stored (as I think it is) in account settings (ANet servers) ?

Or just get a mouse with more buttons. G602 mouse, 10 plus wheel. Remapped all my utilities and F-keys to it, except Elite, which I keep on X. If you want to get really fancy, Z mouse has 16 buttons and Alt-click conditionals for a good 24 distinct keys if you really wanted to go that far. May as well up your game now, before you get to set into muscle memory.

Just don't get a Razor mouse. Their Synapse software is the source of too many problems, and needing a cloud account (and working internet) just to remap keys lost them a lot of respect.

Archived