[Request] Optimization of the Game Engine?

Hi, So here is the deal and its more of a discussion and seeing how many people might (or now) agree with this one,I think the game engine needs optimization (at least in crowded areas). I have a high end build and been getting decent-good fps with stutter even with 60 fps consistent it stutters, thats the problem with the game in general and from what Ive seen even the top - gear for PC builds is lacking for the game to run at its peak performance.The game is demanding in player-environments and big encounters (especially) zerg battles.Currently the game runs well in solo areas and such but kinda bad in player and npc areas.

So I would like to see the developers of the game put some more work in the engine itself to bring players more joy by amping the performance in player vs player and world vs world environments as well as big encounters or cities.Seen some games lately that actually were forced to change engines and or upgrade their current ones for the same of performance seeing how more and more people are getting better PCs and see similar performance as before, namely Ive seen people playing with a 8700k intel i7 even and having stuttering in game in bigger encounters with okay settings, yeah they get more fps but the smoothness is relatively the same or not much of a change, we are talking 5ghz single core speed kinda top-end.I know of a person who even took the chance to refund the game due to performance issues in what they liked which was WvW battles.Overall I and my friends like the game so far into our experiences and agree on the optimization of the game being of higher priority than it already is.

Thanks for your time, I just wanted to post a heads up and raise more awareness.

@"TwinDenis.1578" said:Hi, So here is the deal and its more of a discussion and seeing how many people might (or now) agree with this one,

Trying to use a poll on the forums is not an effective way to convince ANet of anything.

I think the game engine needs optimization (at least in crowded areas). I have a high end build and been getting decent-good fps with stutter even with 60 fps consistent it stutters, thats the problem with the game in general and from what Ive seen even the top - gear for PC builds is lacking for the game to run at its peak performance.

You are correct. ANet developers are well aware of this. They have been working, over time, to improve the situation, and it has significantly improved in the last few years. Where it used to struggle to keep two cores busy, now it comfortably keeps four active, as work has moved off the "main" thread -- which ANet explicitly confirmed is where the bottleneck is -- and into ancillary threads, allowing more use of multi-core CPUs.

The game is demanding in player-environments and big encounters (especially) zerg battles.Currently the game runs well in solo areas and such but kinda bad in player and npc areas.

Yes. This is directly related to the fact that one thread still has to perform excessive work doing model layout and positioning, which means that once you eliminate everything else, single thread CPU performance is the bottleneck you run into first.

So I would like to see the developers of the game put some more work in the engine itself to bring players more joy by amping the performance in player vs player and world vs world environments as well as big encounters or cities.

What makes you think that this is not happening? Would you be happier if they included a comment about performance improvements in the release notes?

If so, what level of detail would you require to believe it was anything more than "marketing fluff"?

Seen some games lately that actually were forced to change engines and or upgrade their current ones for the same of performance seeing how more and more people are getting better PCs and see similar performance as before, namely Ive seen people playing with a 8700k intel i7 even and having stuttering in game in bigger encounters with okay settings, yeah they get more fps but the smoothness is relatively the same or not much of a change, we are talking 5ghz single core speed kinda top-end.

Well, it'll be ramped down to ~ 4.6 or 4.7 GHz because of the additional cores kept busy by GW2, so the CPU (without overclocking / overrides) can't take advantage of the maximum single core turbo speed. Still, it is absolutely fast.

Overall I and my friends like the game so far into our experiences and agree on the optimization of the game being of higher priority than it already is.

This is an entirely legitimate request, and I would also like to see that. That said, it is a pretty big investment to see big changes in this, rather than the gradual, incremental improvements we have seen. It also brings bugs... lots of bugs. So, yeah, I'm all for more work in the area, but I don't think it will be a silver bullet rewrite everything moment at any point: other things need to continue to happen at the same time, which makes incremental change more attractive.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"TwinDenis.1578" said:Hi, So here is the deal and its more of a discussion and seeing how many people might (or now) agree with this one,

Trying to use a poll on the forums is not an effective way to convince ANet of anything.

I think the game engine needs optimization (at least in crowded areas). I have a high end build and been getting decent-good fps with stutter even with 60 fps consistent it stutters, thats the problem with the game in general and from what Ive seen even the top - gear for PC builds is lacking for the game to run at its peak performance.

You are correct. ANet developers are well aware of this. They have been working, over time, to improve the situation, and it has significantly improved in the last few years. Where it used to struggle to keep two cores busy, now it comfortably keeps four active, as work has moved off the "main" thread -- which ANet explicitly confirmed is where the bottleneck is -- and into ancillary threads, allowing more use of multi-core CPUs.

The game is demanding in player-environments and big encounters (especially) zerg battles.Currently the game runs well in solo areas and such but kinda bad in player and npc areas.

Yes. This is directly related to the fact that one thread still has to perform excessive work doing model layout and positioning, which means that once you eliminate everything else, single thread CPU performance is the bottleneck you run into first.

So I would like to see the developers of the game put some more work in the engine itself to bring players more joy by amping the performance in player vs player and world vs world environments as well as big encounters or cities.

What makes you think that this is not happening? Would you be happier if they included a comment about performance improvements in the release notes?

If so, what level of detail would you require to believe it was anything more than "marketing fluff"?

Seen some games lately that actually were forced to change engines and or upgrade their current ones for the same of performance seeing how more and more people are getting better PCs and see similar performance as before, namely Ive seen people playing with a 8700k intel i7 even and having stuttering in game in bigger encounters with okay settings, yeah they get more fps but the smoothness is relatively the same or not much of a change, we are talking 5ghz single core speed kinda top-end.

Well, it'll be ramped down to ~ 4.6 or 4.7 GHz because of the additional cores kept busy by GW2, so the CPU (without overclocking / overrides) can't take advantage of the maximum single core turbo speed. Still, it is absolutely fast.

Overall I and my friends like the game so far into our experiences and agree on the optimization of the game being of higher priority than it already is.

This is an entirely legitimate request, and I would also like to see that. That said, it is a pretty big investment to see big changes in this, rather than the gradual, incremental improvements we have seen. It also brings bugs... lots of bugs. So, yeah, I'm all for more work in the area, but I don't think it will be a silver bullet rewrite everything moment at any point: other things need to continue to happen at the same time, which makes incremental change more attractive.

All well and good butTo be Fair,I just started the game with my friends a couple of weeks ago.We say what we observe, The least I ought to do for the game is post and be vocal about it.I bet Most, if not all, Love the Want the game to Prosper and grow in a meaningful and positive way.

@"skillze.7689" said:its about time anet stops catering for the 0.1% of the players that still run direct x9 and move on!

You have not just grabbed the wrong end of the stick there, but the entirely wrong stick. There is literally nothing in the use of DX9 related to "catering" to anyone.

You are quite welcome to peruse posts, such as the one immediately above yours, that discuss both (a) why this is, including citing the developers on the subject, and (b) why DX9 is not the problem you seem to believe it is.

Archived