gems to spend or not to spend

i apologize in advance if this will upset people. forgive me for i am still learning.how often do they sale that copper-fed thingy and the forever gather tools in a bundle? i have the 4k gems from the POF bundle that i purchased and i wanna get the most bang for my bucks. so how often do bundle sales go live and besides the the copper fed and the unlimited gathering tools what else should i keep an eye for to help me get the most out of the game?

thanks

Besides those tools and the salvager you might want to look into bank and material storage extensions. Those will eventually come in handy. Especially the material storage, because later on you will need & get a ton of things and it fills up rather quickly. I would wait until you notice it becoming an issue though before buying. Sales on those are rather rare, but they do happen occasionally

I suggest the silver-fed instead - it's cheaper than the copper-fed at the moment, plus it gives better salvage rates.Sales aren't usually that often - for utility items like bank tab expansions, extra bag slots, shared inventory slots etc, but I predict there might be one near October, because Halloween is coming up and that's a big event :P There's also the yearly March sales, where something new goes on sale every day of the month (it only goes on sale for 24h per item though)

I think copper-fed is the better salvage tool to get. It only cost 3c per salvage rather than 60c and it reduces the number of useless sigils/runes you get and need to destroy afterwards. You also get a load of mystic forge stones if you log in daily that you can use to create a 250 use mystic salvage kit using the mystic forge. Since you only need to use the mystic salvage kit on say rares or higher rarity they tend to last a while and only take up 1 inventory slot.

I think that is the most useful item outside char slot expansions. The other useful thing is bag expansion. I only have my main with fully unlocked bag slots and they unlock per char and not account wide which I believe sucks. From a purely inventory storage point of view though the cheapest to expand storage is buy a char slot and 4x20 slot bags rather than buying bag/bank slots although it comes at the cost of less convenient access.

@eldrjth.7384 said:I think copper-fed is the better salvage tool to get. It only cost 3c per salvage rather than 60c and it reduces the number of useless sigils/runes you get and need to destroy afterwards.

You destroy them? Steve The Cynic is confused. Sell them to merchants, geez. Get some money for them. But I agree, they are useless.

There's usually a big sale in August for the game's anniversary, with lots of discounted items and other items returning, but they do sales at other times through the year too. Bear in mind that they don't release all the sale items at the same time, it's often just a few per day/week and then more added later, so if you're waiting for specific things you'll need to try and resist impulse buying whatever comes up first.

It's hard to predict when specific items or bundles will come back because there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, so if you really want that pack you may have to be patient.

(Also please don't apologise for asking a question. That's exactly what this forum is for, and we're all here of of our own free will - no one is forced to answer you so if they don't want to they can simply ignore the topic and leave it for the people who do want to answer.)

Get a copper-fed, a silver-fed, 2 shared inventory slots, and put your salvage kits in there. Use copper-fed for masterwork and lower, use silver-fed for rares, and use black lion salvage kits for exotics. This is the most efficient way of managing salvage across all your characters. If you can't get your hands on a silver-fed salvage kit, mystic salvage kits will do for rares.

Unbreakable gathering tools are also a huge convenience, but you need to use the bank or more shared slots to move them between characters.

When I bought HoT I received the 4000 gems. At the time they didn't offer LW2 as an add-on at checkout so I used some of my gems for that. I also expanded my material storage to 500, expanded bank tabs and bag slots on my main at the time. I eventually caved later when they had the Shared Inventory slots, Copper/Silver Salvage kits on sale and finally made the investment into the Unbound Magic Unbreakable gathering tools. All QoL items that I disagree with having to purchase via gems only (the price in gold is way to high imo to be reasonable) but, I stand by my choices to buy these items as it has made my life immensely better in game.

They usually resurface once or twice a year, and if you are lucky a 3rd time during march sales. Don't worry, if you keep playing the game regularly you will be able to catch them first thing next time. Key is to not rush it with all the BL goodies ;)

@"ShadowDove.8329" said:I suggest the silver-fed instead - it's cheaper than the copper-fed at the moment, plus it gives better salvage rates.Sales aren't usually that often - for utility items like bank tab expansions, extra bag slots, shared inventory slots etc, but I predict there might be one near October, because Halloween is coming up and that's a big event :P There's also the yearly March sales, where something new goes on sale every day of the month (it only goes on sale for 24h per item though)

No, absolutely no.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Copper-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic

• cost per use 3 copper.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silver-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic

• cost per use 60 copper

If you are going to get only 1, get the copper fed one and craft a Mystic Salvage Kit or keep some Master's.

Here is the overall cost per use chart:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

Noticeable, both the silver and copper salvage kits save a minimal amount compared to the base version though the copper-fed saves .5 copper per use. Considering you are going to be using this one a LOT more than the silver one, an absolute no brainer.

I went from using Master kits on everything to using the Copper Fed on everything but Rare/Exotics, and for that, I carry around some Master kits for those. When salvaging 30-35 items at once, the only real difference I've noticed is I get less sigls / runes that need to be vendored, so not only am I saving on the cost of each salvage, I also keep my bag from filling up with clutter. This is especially helpful after running a meta like Octovine or Silverwastes, where you have stacks of bags to open.

Unless you have gems to spare and empty shared inventory slots, I wouldn't suggest the Silver fed to anyone. Its not a big deal to carry around a Master salv kit, and if you've looted more than 25 Rares / Exotics after a single meta or fractal, then really you shouldn't be complaining about anything to anyone lol

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Here is the overall cost per use chart:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

Noticeable, both the silver and copper salvage kits save a minimal amount compared to the base version though the copper-fed saves .5 copper per use. Considering you are going to be using this one a LOT more than the silver one, an absolute no brainer.

Given that 800 gems is currently at 156.24 gold, you will pay back the copper-fed after a mere 3,004,615 total uses compared to spending the same gold on purchasing salvage kits. The silver fed, of course, can never, ever, ever pay for itself.

Don't purchase these thinking you will save money, purchase them because they are so incredibly convenient it is worth throwing away some gold (or cash) to make your life so very much better.

(I use silver-fed for rare and above, and copper for below, which is a good balance of cost vs result.)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Here is the overall cost per use chart:

Given that 800 gems is currently at 156.24 gold, you will pay back the copper-fed after a mere 3,004,615 total uses compared to spending the same gold on purchasing salvage kits. The silver fed, of course, can never, ever, ever pay for itself.

Don't purchase these thinking you will save money, purchase them because they are so incredibly convenient it is worth throwing away some gold (or cash) to make your life so very much better.

(I use silver-fed for rare and above, and copper for below, which is a good balance of cost vs result.)

Please don't partially quote me and thus change the intent of my response. My primary response was to @ShadowDove.8329 who was suggesting to get the Silver-fed over the Copper-fed which is utter nonsense in both return on investment and convenience.

The second part of the response was to give readers a general overview of how prices of salvage kits compare mentioning that the added benefit of the copper-fed one is that it WILL eventually recuperate the investment as added benefit over the way higher convenience it provides over the silver-fed one. That is not even getting into the possibility of people using the silver-fed one for every salvage which results in a huge net loss.

@Blocki.4931 said:Besides those tools and the salvager you might want to look into bank and material storage extensions. Those will eventually come in handy. Especially the material storage, because later on you will need & get a ton of things and it fills up rather quickly. I would wait until you notice it becoming an issue though before buying. Sales on those are rather rare, but they do happen occasionally

I have to disagree here, material storage is the thing I regret buying the most, I realized later that for the same amount of gems you can get an extra character slot, which you can use to deposit extra materials, and in addition to that, you have another character.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Please don't partially quote me and thus change the intent of my response. My primary response was to @ShadowDove.8329 who was suggesting to get the Silver-fed over the Copper-fed which is utter nonsense in both return on investment and convenience.

In my defence, I have only had experience with the silver-fed (my friend suggested it to me), so it was the cause of ignorance that I brought it up as a suggestion. As per your explanation, I see that copper-fed has its advantages over silver-fed - I don't like all those sigils from lower rarity items either.

@ShadowDove.8329 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Please don't partially quote me and thus change the intent of my response. My primary response was to @ShadowDove.8329 who was suggesting to get the Silver-fed over the Copper-fed which is utter nonsense in both return on investment and convenience.

In my defence, I have only had experience with the silver-fed (my friend suggested it to me), so it was the cause of ignorance that I brought it up as a suggestion. As per your explanation, I see that copper-fed has its advantages over silver-fed - I don't like all those sigils from lower rarity items either.

No reason to apologize, every one makes mistakes. I assumed you simply hadn't checked up on the fact that both the silver-fed and copper-fed actually have usage costs assigned to them. A simple mistake to make considering you don't get warned any where about the cost.

Without those costs the silver-fed does seem the better deal.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Besides those tools and the salvager you might want to look into bank and material storage extensions. Those will eventually come in handy. Especially the material storage, because later on you will need & get a ton of things and it fills up rather quickly. I would wait until you notice it becoming an issue though before buying. Sales on those are rather rare, but they do happen occasionally

I have to disagree here, material storage is the things I regret buying the most, I realized later that for the same you can get an extra character slot, which you can use to deposit extra materials and in addition to that you have another character.

In case anyone else is confused reading this, they mean you can put the extra stuff in the inventory of the additional character; the "material storage" system is still account-wide, so shared regardless of how many characters you have.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Besides those tools and the salvager you might want to look into bank and material storage extensions. Those will eventually come in handy. Especially the material storage, because later on you will need & get a ton of things and it fills up rather quickly. I would wait until you notice it becoming an issue though before buying. Sales on those are rather rare, but they do happen occasionally

I have to disagree here, material storage is the thing I regret buying the most, I realized later that for the same amount of gems you can get an extra character slot, which you can use to deposit extra materials, and in addition to that, you have another character.

That does offer more storage unless you pile up a many different materials. However, getting one single upgrade, so it stacks to 500, has been a QoL purchase o the level of permanent tools and only surpassed by Shared Inventory and the Copper-fed salvage.

It primarily reduces the amount of managing I have to do - I can remove full stacks without still having materials left on characters because storage was full; I only need to refine materials half as often; etc.I would find more than one upgrade a waste though, as you only very rarely would have any real use for more than two stacks of treated materials. Sell anything above that unless you actually use it.

Buy the copper-fed and a shared inventory slot to put it in. It will save you tons of time, and inventory space (not having to buy extra basic kits to hang onto). It's absolutely worth the expense in terms of helping you focus on playing the game rather than managing inventory.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Given that 800 gems is currently at 156.24 gold, you will pay back the copper-fed after a mere 3,004,615 total

For comparison..., I've salvaged fewer than 350k times, about 1/8 of Slippy's benchmark to break even.That includes every kit I've ever used, including those before the Copper-Fed was introduced. That includes the fact that I salvaged 1000s of items for "science" before sites like GW2 Profits offered those numbers.

In other words, even the copper-fed will never pay for itself.

Archived