Free server transfer? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Free server transfer?

My friend and I are planning on transferring worlds from the EU to NA region. We both have paid accounts, upgraded from free-to-play accounts, and we've never transferred worlds before. Apparently paid accounts are allowed one free world transfer after upgrading from free-to-play accounts, but my friend doesn't seem to have that ability; she's being charged 500 gems for the transfer.

Did they remove that feature? Or is there a caveat that the wiki article didn't specify: i.e., after upgrading to a paid account, there's only a limited time window to use the free transfer (my friend's account is over five years old, but mine has only been around since the beginning of January). (Link to the wiki article: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Transferring)

fear not this night
you will not go astray

Comments

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Chances are she switched servers at some point and doesn't remember.

Logging out forever.

• Luupita.9482Luupita.9482 Member ✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

No I did not hop servers at any point, I have been on the EU since purchasing the game over 5 years ago, the only server hop I ever did was "guesting" to one other server, but as I said, I "Guested" so it has no bearings on my free world transfer.

@zinkz.7045 said:
    If your friend's account is over five years old, then it was never a F2P account, F2P was only added to the game in the second half of 2015, so your friend has a paid account and therefore can't of upgraded.

I have a picture I took from way back in 2013, that shows the "Upgrade to full account" status, I'm not sure what that is then.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2018

Yeah, Free To Play wasn't added until April 2015. So, despite the potentially confusing "Upgrade to full account" thing, that explains why you don't have the free transfer now.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

edited June 15, 2018

This is basically what I was looking at back then: Friday, ‎April ‎19, ‎2013, ‏‎11:26:54 PM
    https://imgur.com/K2Xvsir

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018

Did you start playing during one of the Free Trial Weekend events they had? I think they did a couple of those in the first year or two.

Edit: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/try-guild-wars-2-for-free-this-weekend-april-19-21/

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018

@zinkz.7045 said:
    If your friend's account is over five years old, then it was never a F2P account, F2P was only added to the game in the second half of 2015, so your friend has a paid account and therefore can't of upgraded.

I bought the game pretty much exactly 5 years and 120 days ago and I DID have a free server swap after the upgrade

In fact, I switched from Abaddon's Mouth to one of the US servers (free) and then paid 500 gems to go back to EU on Ring of Fire

@Luupita.9482 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

No I did not hop servers at any point, I have been on the EU since purchasing the game over 5 years ago, the only server hop I ever did was "guesting" to one other server, but as I said, I "Guested" so it has no bearings on my free world transfer.

Being EU doesn't mean you can't have accidentally switched at some point. That's what I said. You might not have realized at the time

Logging out forever.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@zinkz.7045 said:

I bought the game pretty much exactly 5 years and 120 days ago and I DID have a free server swap after the upgrade

In fact, I switched from Abaddon's Mouth to one of the US servers (free) and then paid 500 gems to go back to EU on Ring of Fire

@Luupita.9482 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Being EU doesn't mean you can't have accidentally switched at some point. That's what I said. You might not have realized at the time

No, let me make it abundantly clear, I never server hopped at any time, this I remember. The aforementioned "not an f2p player" makes sense, your reasoning does not.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    Did you start playing during one of the Free Trial Weekend events they had? I think they did a couple of those in the first year or two.

Edit: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/try-guild-wars-2-for-free-this-weekend-april-19-21/

That is exactly what I did, memory jogged when you mentioned "free weekend" :tongue:
    I guess I just assumed that upon upgrading my account I would have the free transfer, oh well.

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for your answers, guys! We got the issue cleared up (I do have a free server transfer, it seems). :)

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.