Making Legendary Insights tradeable

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:I'm curious of the forum users' opinion on this topic. I wouldn't mind as I have more than I'll ever need.

No. They are rewarded for specific achievement, much like the cosmic essences. They can follow the same model - have a sink and a vendor price. But they shouldn't be tradeable. They could probably use another sink for players who don't need the cheap extra ascended armor sets, although I doubt there are great many players to benefit from that.

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:Thinking about the impact is interesting though. It'd give a clear price to clearing an encounter, raid selling/buying would probably go down a bit and LI requirements would change to KP instead.

Yes and the game mode overall would suffer which could likely be even proved mathematically if we assume times for players to reach 150,450 and 750 LI for their first, second and final set of legendary armor.

If average players spend a finite amount of time in a game mode, giving them the opportunity to buy themselves the remaining time from very dedicated players leaves the game mode over all emptier. That's not getting into the entire time required to master all encounters which also is a significant part of the game mode and its challenge.

While I support overall more ways to spend LI, I do not think a change to make them trade-able will be of benefit to the game, especially since I doubt LI were ever designed with such a change in mind.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:Thinking about the impact is interesting though. It'd give a clear price to clearing an encounter, raid selling/buying would probably go down a bit and LI requirements would change to KP instead.

Yes and the game mode overall would suffer which could likely be even proved mathematically if we assume times for players to reach 150,450 and 750 LI for their first, second and final set of legendary armor.

If average players spend a finite amount of time in a game mode, giving them the opportunity to buy themselves the remaining time from very dedicated players leaves the game mode over all emptier. That's not getting into the entire time required to master all encounters which also is a significant part of the game mode and its challenge.

While I support overall more ways to spend LI, I do not think a change to make them trade-able will be of benefit to the game, especially since I doubt LI were ever designed with such a change in mind.

I do wonder how many of the current raiders only raid for the armor though.

@Rysdude.3824 said:I don’t raid, nor do I do fractals, but I am a WvW main. I think being able to buy skirmish tickets would cheapen the experience. Same goes for LI and whatever the fractal equivalent is.

Interesting view. For me personally it wouldn't as I know I have beaten the things and CM titles are there for hard-mode proof. Also getting leg armor does require at least a full clear.

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:

Wouldn't matter since the net effect is a pure detriment to the overall time spent for players in the game mode.

There is literally almost no benefit to player retention for the game mode besides maybe some initial increase for people completing the precursor achievement.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Wouldn't matter since the net effect is a pure detriment to the overall time spent for players in the game mode.

There is literally almost no benefit to player retention for the game mode besides maybe some initial increase for people completing the precursor achievement.

I wouldn't say pure detriment, more like unkown. How many of those who'd start raiding actually stay long-term and it could also bring back those already bored with raids with more incentives.

Also the less people you have raiding the more expensive LI will get due to decreased supply.

I prefer the LI requirements tbh. It saves me the hassle of carrying 17 different stacks of useless stuff in my inventory. Plus it would create an immediate gap between people who have deposited their kps in their guilds and those who have not, so there will be no meaningful number to use.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Since raid selling is allowed and possible, there's no reason not to make LIs and KPs tradable.

Except that allowing LI to get traded is like opening the market on a very restricted good. It would drive prices down tremendously.

Now if this is desirable can certainly be discussed, it would definitely have an effect on the game mode and most likely not a positive one.

I wouldn't say pure detriment, more like unkown. How many of those who'd start raiding actually stay long-term and it could also bring back those already bored with raids with more incentives. Also the less people you have raiding the more expensive LI will get due to decreased supply.

You are effectively trading useless game time (LI which currently are sitting unused in people wallets) for gold, the benefit would have to huge for such a change to even remotely be neutral to the player base of this content.

Rewards are a huge motivator in GW2 which can be seen in every aspect of the game. Cutting out a time gate would have massive effects. That's like asking for a cheaper and faster version of crafting ascended armor by selling people the spvp or wvw components like Grandmaster Shards. No one would ever craft regular ascended armor any more effectively making part of the game (crafting) useless.

@Feanor.2358 said:

I prefer the LI requirements tbh. It saves me the hassle of carrying 17 different stacks of useless stuff in my inventory. Plus it would create an immediate gap between people who have deposited their kps in their guilds and those who have not, so there will be no meaningful number to use.

I can't say for sure how pugs would measure KP but nowdays the only relevant I feel is dhuum kp anyway so it could be like that if LI was made tradeable.

I can't say for sure how pugs would measure KP but nowdays the only relevant I feel is dhuum kp anyway so it could be like that if LI was made tradeable.

Not if you want to finish raids in a timely fashion. Sure from point of a static or part static which fills up this might be true, but not every raider has all wings cleared. Even less so for people who have to buy LI to complete legendary armor. The chances are very high that these people are missing multiple bosses.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Since raid selling is allowed and possible, there's no reason not to make LIs and KPs tradable.

Except that allowing LI to get traded is like opening the market on a very restricted good. It would drive prices down tremendously.

Now if this is desirable can certainly be discussed, it would definitely have an effect on the game mode and most likely not a positive one.

That would also verify the popularity of raids - is it caused by content quality itself or simply by gated rewards. Even if second option happens to be true, it should help people interested in raiding itself as all the leechers would simply buy LI and not bother cheating their way into the parties.

Interesting.If LI were tradeable, what would stop a person who had previously completed Envoy Collection II from buying, say 700-750 LIs to craft all 3 sets of legendary armor in one day?(not counting provisioner tokens) Before Hall of Chains, it took at least one YEAR to earn 750 LIs provided you had been full clearing since w4 came out lmao.My opinion is that making LI tradeable will decrease its value. I think it doesn't matter some people find it hard or easy to raid. If you want LI or to make leg armor, you just have to put in the time and effort to earn it.I just know for sure that the LI system won't change, but you're not demanding anything so that's nice.

If the goal was to add value to LI which is time-gated, maybe add items which require LIs to craft, a new sink, or even vendor price like some already suggested.No opinions regarding KPs.

@maddoctor.2738 said:The question is: why should they make them tradeable?

Because they have trade value. Atm they are just collecting dust in banks for many raiders.

I'm not saying Anet has to make them tradeable or anything. Just wanted to have a discussion about the impact and how people would feel if such a change were to happen.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

To create new market for transferring wealth from paying players to playing players. Just like gem2gold exchange works.

I think Arenanet already figured that the Gen 1 Legendary Weapons were a bad idea and that's why they made Gen 2 account bound. Same with Ascended gear. Most rewards from achievements and specific content do not have a market value, Legendary Insights are rewards from defeating specific bosses, inside specific content.It's like asking for a trade value for bloodstone rubies, or any other currency like Airship Parts and dungeon tokens. Not a very good idea and unlikely to happen.

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:Because they have trade value. Atm they are just collecting dust in banks for many raiders.

I'm not saying Anet has to make them tradeable or anything. Just wanted to have a discussion about the impact and how people would feel if such a change were to happen.

They can (and should) add new sinks for them in the future, especially if future Raids also award them.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:I'm curious of the forum users' opinion on this topic. I wouldn't mind as I have more than I'll ever need.

No. They are rewarded for specific achievement, much like the cosmic essences. They can follow the same model - have a sink and a vendor price. But they shouldn't be tradeable. They could probably use another sink for players who don't need the cheap extra ascended armor sets

This. Don't make them tradeable, that would be a big problem with people buying LI. Just give us LI sinks or let us convert them to magnetites or something.

@nia.4725 said:

No. They are rewarded for specific achievement, much like the cosmic essences. They can follow the same model - have a sink and a vendor price. But they shouldn't be tradeable. They could probably use another sink for players who don't need the cheap extra ascended armor sets

This. Don't make them tradeable, that would be a big problem with people buying LI. Just give us LI sinks or let us convert them to magnetites or something.

I don't see an issue with people buying LI as I don't see an issue with people buying raid runs either. At least it doesn't harm me in any way if somebody buys LI. How does it harm you guys?

@nia.4725 said:

I don't see an issue with people buying LI as I don't see an issue with people buying raid runs either. At least it doesn't harm me in any way if somebody buys LI. How does it harm you guys?

It doesn't harm me personally, since I don't sell raids, but it does harm the game's economy and it would decrease greatly the raid playerbase (all those who are there just for the armor would drop raids just when they get the Envoy II). And it would devalue greatly the Envoy.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

To create new market for transferring wealth from paying players to playing players. Just like gem2gold exchange works.

I think Arenanet already figured that the Gen 1 Legendary Weapons were a bad idea and that's why they made Gen 2 account bound. Same with Ascended gear. Most rewards from achievements and specific content do not have a market value, Legendary Insights are rewards from defeating specific bosses, inside specific content.It's like asking for a trade value for bloodstone rubies, or any other currency like Airship Parts and dungeon tokens. Not a very good idea and unlikely to happen.

Maybe, I don't care. You asked why, I explained. Personal opinions aside.

Archived