Could use some Staff/GS build help

Fractured.3928

Clearly this is non-meta. But I've started out with Mesmer, I've got the basics down (Even though phantasm/clone confuses me slightly, but I'm understanding it via other threads).

Anyways, I really enjoy the Staff and GS (Would totally do dual pistols if that was a thing), makes me feel fairly magey with the flair of phant/clones. I'd like to focus on the phants/clones if possible. Can anyone suggest a build and what stats I should be leaning towards? And if possible, give a super summary on how I should be doing it, if not I can figure it out sooner or later.

PS. I have both expansions.

You might try something like this. It's similar to the GS burst chrono build on metabattle, but focuses more on clone/phantasm generation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQJARWnsICdqhFqBeoBEgilUjC9LWjso+Zn2rlcAugAA-jxRGABDp8Dk9HITXAAXCAAV/JhnAgUKBJFQEjBA-e

It's just something I threw together. I only play Mirage, so there may be better ways of doing this.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:You might try something like this. It's similar to the GS burst chrono build on metabattle, but focuses more on clone/phantasm generation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQJARWnsICdqhFqBeoBEgilUjC9LWjso+Zn2rlcAugAA-jxRGABDp8Dk9HITXAAXCAAV/JhnAgUKBJFQEjBA-e

It's just something I threw together. I only play Mirage, so there may be better ways of doing this.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:You might try something like this. It's similar to the GS burst chrono build on metabattle, but focuses more on clone/phantasm generation.

This seems pretty interesting, and right up my alley. I always figured you could only have 3 illusions though, is that not true?

@Fractured.3928 said:

This seems pretty interesting, and right up my alley. I always figured you could only have 3 illusions though, is that not true?

3 clones. Phantasms can be anything on top of that, but they despawn into clones now after one attack (unless Chronophantasma).

What game mode/purpose for the build?

@Curunen.8729 said:

3 clones. Phantasms can be anything on top of that, but they despawn into clones now after one attack (unless Chronophantasma).

I'm mostly just open world atm, I'll probably branch out again at some point.

@Fractured.3928 said:

I'm mostly just open world atm, I'll probably branch out again at some point.

Two options as I see it for double ranged staff/GS in open world:

• one with Chrono and Chronophantasma, playstyle of multiple iZerkers and iWarlocks as in the builds Aliam linked.
  • another with Mirage and Infinite Horizon, using staff and GS ambushes to melt things.

Either way is visually satisfying - the first with more phantasms if you like that, the second with more clones/clone ambushes if you like that (GS clone laser disco/rave party is fun).

Only problem with the latter is staff ambush benefits from condi sets like viper, but GS ambush is purely power - though it does easily stack up to 25 stacks of vuln which boosts your condi damage as well. So potentially it could be worth full viper or a mix of viper and grieving for IH Mirage using staff/GS. Alternatively the Chronophantasma way is best to go pure power so easier to gear for and probably best to start with.

Shatter away =) but preferably wait for the third clone.

As a PvE power starter...

• F1 for damage and
  • F5 to reset cool-downs.

Note that

• Signet of Illusions recharges F1-F4 (not F5) and
  • Signet if Ether recharges phantasm skills.

Playing around with the above is plenty enough.

Going further in a power PvE context I would say:

• F2 is a waste of good clones and
  • F3-F4 are defensive.

Also note I'm not a mesmer main. and I don't spend much time in PvE. I would love to hear feedback =)

@jpersson.7368 said:Shatter away =) but preferably wait for the third clone.

As a PvE power starter...

• F1 for damage and
  • F5 to reset cool-downs.

Note that

• Signet of Illusions recharges F1-F4 (not F5) and
  • Signet if Ether recharges phantasm skills.

Playing around with the above is plenty enough.

Going further in a power PvE context I would say:

• F2 is a waste of good clones and
  • F3-F4 are defensive.

Also note I'm not a mesmer main. and I don't spend much time in PvE. I would love to hear feedback =)

Nice to know, I'm assuming F3 would be good for break bars. Also how big are the AoE's? If my clones aren't right by them, is it pointless?

@Fractured.3928 said:Nice to know, I'm assuming F3 would be good for break bars. Also how big are the AoE's? If my clones aren't right by them, is it pointless?

When using F1-F4 all ranged clones (Staff, Scepter) will run to their target(s) you had focused when they were summoned and explode. Melee clones probably already are close enough but will do the same if they aren't.

Archived