Either tone down achievement rewards or raise the amount of achievements we can get

MAX achievement reward is capped at 60k AP, top 1 player in AP leaderbord has around 37.5k AP which is just a little above halfway, if things continue with this pace, that top 1 player will reach at most 40k by the time GW3 come out.I see only 2 solutions to this problem, either compress achievement reward from 0-60k to 0-40k or put A LOT of achievement points in the next expansion.More ideas are welcome.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Perses.9683 said:Max Achievement isn’t meant to be reached
yet
and that’s okay.

I fixed your message. It's indeed the point of my topic, it's not meant to be reached now
or ever
if things continue this way. So things must change sooner or later.

You're a mad man. Why would anyone want to hit the max AP cap? It doesnt do anything then to remove alot of content for you. And if anyone were ever near the cap, I bet Anet would make it higher. Its only there to give out rewards for veteran players.

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

I fixed your message. It's indeed the point of my topic, it's not meant to be reached now
or ever

You're a mad man. Why would anyone want to hit the max AP cap? It doesnt do anything then to remove alot of content for you. And if anyone were ever near the cap, I bet Anet would make it higher. Its only there to give out rewards for veteran players.

Why making content if that content is not meant to be reached by any player? That sounds like total nonsense to me. I know that having a goal to reach is nice but that goal must be reached eventually.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

Why making content if that content is not meant to be reached by any player? That sounds like total nonsense to me. I know that having a goal to reach is nice but that goal must be reached eventually.

I dont think anyone has the goal to actually hit the 60k AP cap. Weekly we can read about people hitting the Daily AP cap, and they cry about it. If someone were to hit the maximum cap of AP, the incentive to actually play the game would go away completely.

If the cap would have been 30k AP, people who already have it would then complain they lost their reason to play and that the cap should be made higher.Then anet listen and the cap goes to 40k AP, then after people have reached this, people want more...and so on till one day it reaches the 60k AP we have now.So with setting it very high you won't have this discussions for a very long time and no dev time is required to change the cap again and again.

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

I dont think anyone has the goal to actually hit the 60k AP cap. Weekly we can read about people hitting the Daily AP cap, and they cry about it. If someone were to hit the maximum cap of AP, the incentive to actually play the game would go away completely.

This same result could be achieved by lowering the max cap to 40k or slightly more because noone will still reach it by the end of the game.

@Auri.1365 said:If the cap would have been 30k AP, people who already have it would then complain they lost their reason to play and that the cap should be made higher.Then anet listen and the cap goes to 40k AP, then after people have reached this, people want more...and so on till one day it reaches the 60k AP we have now.So with setting it very high you won't have this discussions for a very long time and no dev time is required to change the cap again and again.

Thing is, with the actual pace of releases, people will never reach more than 40k AP by the end of GW2. Not to mention 60k....

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Auri.1365 said:If the cap would have been 30k AP, people who already have it would then complain they lost their reason to play and that the cap should be made higher.Then anet listen and the cap goes to 40k AP, then after people have reached this, people want more...and so on till one day it reaches the 60k AP we have now.So with setting it very high you won't have this discussions for a very long time and no dev time is required to change the cap again and again.

Thing is, with the actual pace of releases, people will never reach more than 40k AP by the end of GW2. Not to mention 60k....

Its like you dont even see beyond your own reason. The reason the AP gain is so low, is because there are no REWARDS beyong 44k atm!

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

I think you are overstating the importance of AP in keeping people playing.

@Ashen.2907 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

As a veteran player in a very active guild I can say that no, I’m not overstating the importance of AP. Sure new players and casuals may not care, but veterans care. Its a big system that continue us to actually play new and old content. It keeps us in content longer because of achivements, its a replayability system, usually.

I agree with the above, achievements just keep players interested. If they introduce a "max", that will mean they have essentially introduced an end to the game and either stop the AP system there or have to work on GW3. Having an endless AP system gives them room to add more to the game and keep players (especially AP hunters) keep chasing that "end point".

@Zaraki.5784 said:MAX achievement reward is capped at 60k

You know the achievement reward list doesn't have an actual upper limit. You are asking for the addition of more achievements, to an infinite reward track, that would only mean more work for the developers to add new rewards to that reward track to meet the demand of faster achievement point acquisition. This won't work.Plus, we get nothing at 45k, a new armor (or something else) to replace Hellfire/Radiant is needed to be added there and up to 60k.Then there is nothing at 57k either, a new weapon set after pinnacle will need to be added there, to keep with the theme.Both the 45k and the 57k reward aren't even a concern for Arenanet at this point, since, as you said, it will take a very long time for anyone to reach that point. But if they started adding more achievement points, then it would take much less time, meaning more work, and work only for older players and not newer ones.Overall, not a very good idea.

@"Perses.9683" said:Max Achievement isn’t meant to be reached
yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

As a veteran player in a very active guild I can say that no, I’m not overstating the importance of AP. Sure new players and casuals may not care, but veterans care. Its a big system that continue us to actually play new and old content. It keeps us in content longer because of achivements, its a replayability system, usually.

There is a big difference between caring about AP and declaring that hitting the AP cap would completely remove all incentive for playing the game for players in general. Of course if you meant for yourself you could replace, "someone," with, "I," in the post I quoted.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

Not in MMOs if that goal is to finish the game. As soon as you do everything, more gets added. The goal should be to continue, not to end.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

Not in MMOs if that goal is to finish the game. As soon as you do everything, more gets added. The goal should be to continue, not to end.

Perhaps, but individual goals should be able to be finished. The continuation should be about setting new goals to be attained. Imagine wanting a certain six piece armor set. You get halfway through earning it and the devs double the cost for the remaining pieces. As you get close to the next piece the cost is increased by an order of magnitude. Never finishing that goal is a source of frustration. Adding a new armor set to be pursued after you have finished acquiring the previous one is how you keep things continuing.

@Ashen.2907 said:

yet
and that’s okay.

or ever

Perhaps, but individual goals should be able to be finished. The continuation should be about setting new goals to be attained. Imagine wanting a certain six piece armor set. You get halfway through earning it and the devs double the cost for the remaining pieces. As you get close to the next piece the cost is increased by an order of magnitude. Never finishing that goal is a source of frustration. Adding a new armor set to be pursued after you have finished acquiring the previous one is how you keep things continuing.

Getting to max achievement points is more of a final goal, since everything gives you points. What is the next goal after completing that? To do that would require most of the achievements to be finished, there would be no goal after that.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

Archived